• 1 Post By Prickle Farmer
  • 3 Post By drinva
  • 2 Post By Lever Jac
  • 1 Post By rj1974

Thread: Red dot for a rimfire

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Red dot for a rimfire

My son has his heart set on a red dot sight for his marlin 795. I know little about red dots, looking for suggestions on what to get.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have used red dots over the years. On mil specs Aimpoints and Eotecs, but on my Marlin Lever I have used a Athlon and currently, Vortex Venom. I like them a lot for short to mid range snap type shooting. They are very quick to acquire and easy to use. Very effective once zeroed.

Dedicated red dots, as opposed to a scope with one in the reticle, seem to come in two basic types, a short tube type, see the aimpoint micro (V expensive) and the type with a stand up window. I have the latter on my Marlin right now.

I tend to use a 2 moa dot. Seems a good compromise where smaller can be hard to see, especially on bright days and larger becomes harder to be accurate with at longer ranges. A 3 moa dot is also fine.

Red dot sights can be cheap and good these days. I would suggest starting around the $100.00 mark, though many are available for less.

Footnote, some people have trouble seeing the dot clearly. They have astigmatism and see a flare or distorted splodge. This doesnt prevent them from using them but can do. Depends on what they see, how distorted. A good trick I was told was to take a picture of the dot with a phone camera and compare it with what you see with your Mk1 eyeball.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Deadeye
    Member #
    + 1 for tranteruk.

Like he says target acquisition is super fast. This allows you to keep both eyes open, so it's ideal for moving targets.

The only other comment I can make is that on my 1984 .357 and .44 mag I have 'tube' type 4 moa red dots. To my way of thinking they tend to be a bit more rugged that the 'window' type. Your dollar will also generally go a long way further buying a good quality tube type red dot.

Tube type red dots come in all shapes and sized but my advice is to stick to a one inch tube (keeps it in proportion to the rifle), and forget the gimmicks like different coloured dots and cross hairs. Go for a good old red dot (they are called that for a reason), and a variable intensity for the dot (covers low light and bright daylight).

You won't be disappointed.
    Reload likes this.
    Prickle Farmer

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    For a Rimfire, I really like the Bushnell TRS-25. You can catch these around $50-70 all day every day and they are a fine red dot for the $$$. I have one on a Ruger Rimfire rifle that I use around the house for varmints and my grandson loves to plink with too. Dang fine setup:

20170218_105634_HDR.jpg20160817_184634 (1).jpg

Edit to add: these WILL hold zero, plenty of reviews on the net....best red dot for the $$ out there. The mount screw is kinda thin, use locktite blue and not much of it. Do NOT over tighten this screw, or you will be looking for one. Bushnell sent me a couple for free since I learned the hard way.... as usual.

DR
    rj1974, tranteruk and 25/20Marlin like this.
    Team 60 #324
    Team .22 Magnum #114
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102
    Team Wheelguns #54
    Team 700 #5
    Team Semi-Auto #41
    Team Henry #106

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I have a cheap red dot/green dot sight on my s+w victory. It's fast and accurate. The only problem I have with it is to remember to turn it off.
    drinva and tranteruk like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    For a .22 I would also recommend the Bushnell , I have one on a 10/22 take down . It sits low and has taken plenty of birds and 4 foxes . I have aimpoints , eotechs and ACOGs on larger caliber rifles but that little bushnell is great for a .22 .
    drinva likes this.
    1894 .357 , 1894 .41mag , 1894 .44 Mag , 1894 CL .45 LC , 1894 CL 44-40 , 1894 CL .41 Mag , 1895 CL 45-70 , 1895 .444 , 1895 .45-70 (2) , 1895G .45-70 , 1895GS .45-70 , 336 .35 (2) , 336 30-30(2) , 39 Golden (2) , 39 Mountie , 39 TDS Deluxe .22 , Model 1936 30-30 , Camp .45 , Papoose

Wrangler
    Member #
    I just recently purchased a Northtac Ronin P-10 that I believe would be great on a 22. It has a 2 MOA dot which would be good for fine aiming, plus it's very small and very lightweight. It has auto-shutdown and shake-awake features that supposedly gets it 50,000 hours of battery life, so if you forget to shut it off, it will do it for you. I have it on a shotgun at the moment, but haven't sighted it in yet, so I'm not sure it will handle the recoil, but I'd expect it to handle a 22 ok.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    You can get the most recent Vortex Crossfire too for about $200 lifetime warranty. I have a couple that get rotated around guns. I like em they work good.
    Here is guide on rifle scope- https://bobergarms.com/rifle-scope-difinitive-guide/ that really very helpful.
    Last edited by Patricka; 08-28-2019 at 07:37 PM.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links