Long Eye Relief Scope?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Long Eye Relief Scope?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Long Eye Relief Scope?

Anyone use, have used or have an opinion based on experience?

I tried one many years back and diddnt get on with it, but fancy another try. I am not fully sold on the idea of a forward mounted long eye relief scope, but maybe diddnt give it a fair chance before. Anyone?
    Golphin and Cowboy23* like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Contributing Member
    Member #
    bought a leatherwood scope and put on my 1895 and I have always liked it. clear optics and sighted in once and stays that way
    tranteruk likes this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Deadeye
    Member #
    I had one on a scout rifle when the scout craze was first going on. I believe it was a Leopold 2x7 from their custom shop. Did not have enough eye relief and was a 1" tube. I ended up mounting it conventionally. I thought the whole system was so so and its just been sitting in the back of my gun safe. If I had to do it over I would go with a 30mm tube and one with a lot more eye relief.
    tranteruk likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I run a Leupold VR-X 1.25-4x20 Patrol in Leupold medium QRW2 rings on the XS Scout Rail coupled with an 1894 SBL. I mounted the scope just in front of the peep sight. Surprisingly, this position works for me even with the scope cranked up to 4 power. The VR-X has a fairly large eye box. I'm tall enough that I normally lean into a scope and there was very little shadow around the edges of the eyepiece at max magnification. If I turn down the scope to 3.5 or lower, the shadow completely disappears.

With MS!.jpg
    Scope Locking Tube.jpg

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I put an intermediate eye relief Burris Timberline on a 450 Bushmaster rifle hearing it called "Thumper" and wanting space for my spectacles. it works just fine.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I have used them quite a bit on pistols but don't like them for rifles.
    I don't really get why people want them on rifles.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballistic Therapy View Post
    I have used them quite a bit on pistols but don't like them for rifles.
    I don't really get why people want them on rifles.
    Well, they were made popular in the 1980s by the late Col Jeff Cooper (Who I knew). What many never got about the forward mounted scope on his 'Scout Rifle' was that it was there mainly so stripper clips could be used, from above. The introduction of replaceable box mags on many bolt guns since has made that unnecessary. The second reason is that some say, (and find) they can use a forward mounted scope with both eyes open, and thus get a wide field of view around the scope. Keeping in mind in Coopers day red dot sights were in their infancy, that option has also, arguably, become better served since.

In short, while I think they must work for some, I see very few who use them and the lack of range offered by the manufactures rather suggests demand is low. As a footnote I once read a book written by a German sniper in WW2. In it he complained about the forward mounted scope on the K98 and compared them very unfavourably with the rear mounted scopes on the Soviet Mosin Nagants. He also said how happy he was when the K98s were later issued with rear mounted scopes. I guess some would argue the forward mounted scope is an instinctive both eyes open short to medium range set up. But then, we now have excellent and reliable red dots for that.

In my case, the reason for considering it is for a K98. A rifle I have tried to scope for years, and failed to do satisfactorily.
    Shooter4570 likes this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have 3 identical Swift 2x LER compact/scout/pistol scopes, one each for my 70P, 60 and 1894CS Marlins. They are lightweight which helps this old lady hold up the rifle. I had a big, heavy Nikon on the Henry 30-30. Nice scope but too big for me.
    tranteruk likes this.
    Carpe diem

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I gave the long eye relief scout scope setup a try with my friends Ruger Gunsite. He has his rifle set-up scout style and he loves it. I gave it a try but it wasn't for me (I shoot traditional scope setup w/ both eyes open.)
    With the scout set-up, I didn't care for the weight (scope) being forward or the long eye relief.
    I understand the whole Jeff Cooper scout scope concept, and it's great...quick target acquisition, shoot with both eyes open, able to use loading strips on (certain) rifles. but it just wasn't for me, your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by maki00; 05-11-2019 at 08:42 PM.
    tranteruk likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    Well, they were made popular in the 1980s by the late Col Jeff Cooper (Who I knew). What many never got about the forward mounted scope on his 'Scout Rifle' was that it was there mainly so stripper clips could be used, from above. The introduction of replaceable box mags on many bolt guns since has made that unnecessary. The second reason is that some say, (and find) they can use a forward mounted scope with both eyes open, and thus get a wide field of view around the scope. Keeping in mind in Coopers day red dot sights were in their infancy, that option has also, arguably, become better served since.

In short, while I think they must work for some, I see very few who use them and the lack of range offered by the manufactures rather suggests demand is low. As a footnote I once read a book written by a German sniper in WW2. In it he complained about the forward mounted scope on the K98 and compared them very unfavourably with the rear mounted scopes on the Soviet Mosin Nagants. He also said how happy he was when the K98s were later issued with rear mounted scopes. I guess some would argue the forward mounted scope is an instinctive both eyes open short to medium range set up. But then, we now have excellent and reliable red dots for that.

In my case, the reason for considering it is for a K98. A rifle I have tried to scope for years, and failed to do satisfactorily.

I remember when Jeff Cooper was working on the scout rifle. You are correct. The scope was set forward to allow access to the top loading action.
    In todays market I think they are more of a fad and cool look than anything else and don't really see any advantage to them.
    As far as both eyes open shooting. I have always shot with both eyes open regardless of what type of sighting system I am using , be it iron sights or scopes.
    This is just my opinion and am not trying to offend anyone that uses them.
    tranteruk likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links