Long Eye Relief Scope? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Long Eye Relief Scope?

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    Anyone use, have used or have an opinion based on experience?

I tried one many years back and diddnt get on with it, but fancy another try. I am not fully sold on the idea of a forward mounted long eye relief scope, but maybe diddnt give it a fair chance before. Anyone?
    Pros;
    • Quick site on target
    • Eliminates scope to forehead contact on heavy recoil calibers.
    • Scope can be mounted low as allowable with no hammer / bolt clearance concern

Cons;
    • Narrow field of view (unless you can aim with both eyes open. I can't)
    • Low powered scope advised (unless you want to make a narrow field of view even worse)
    • Glare / reflection on ocular lens in some conditions (sun behind you)
    • Not as low as open sights, so some cheek riser might be required on some guns.

An intermediate eye relief scope like azdover shows helps reduce the cons list. I went with a micro red dot (Vortex Venom 3 MOA dot on a Burris 336 / 1895 Marlin mounting plate) on my 1895 Guide gun in 45-70. No magnification, but I can shoot with both eyes open to improve field of view, the dot is almost as low as open sights, gun handles like it has open sights, no danger of getting my eye "dotted" (I did get my glasses bumped many times with a conventional mounted scope on this gun).

If I could see open sights, I probably would have gone that route, or a ghost ring rear on the of the receiver to increase the sight radius. I have other longer range, lower recoil rifles with conventionally mounted scopes, so I wanted gun that handled like it had no scope.
    Last edited by Remus Redbone; 05-11-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    tranteruk likes this.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    Anyone use, have used or have an opinion based on experience?

I tried one many years back and diddnt get on with it, but fancy another try. I am not fully sold on the idea of a forward mounted long eye relief scope, but maybe diddnt give it a fair chance before. Anyone?
    Depends on what you are using it on and the length of your arms. Pistol scopes are LER but they differ in eye relief distances so it boils down to if it will work with your arm length. I you are getting one for a scout rifle or shotgun the eye distance is kind of set by your length of pull on the stock and where you put your cheek. All of the top name brands are good so just make sure the eye relief will work for your setup.
    tranteruk likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    To me, regular rifle scopes look great on regular rifles (bolt, semi-auto) but just don't look right on a lever action receiver. Lever actions are mainly used for fast shots...bring it to the shoulder (or any point between), point and pull the trigger. It's a lot easier for me to do that without refocusing into a scope that blocks your vision.

If I hunted, I'd go for the regular scope where I could get good distance on a regular bolt or semi auto.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    A few years ago, some 6 or 7 years after "failed" lasic surgery, my eyes had gotten pretty bad. The lasic surgery had gotten my long time nearsightedness from 20/2000 down to only 20/600 but caused an immediate problem with farsightedness in addition. My optometrist at the time (who also inspired me to do the lasic thing) put me back in contacts (already 30+ years experience with them) which lasted a couple of years ... if I wore reading glasses to do close up stuff. It only took a couple of years until I found that wearing readers to even drive or just everyday activities was necessary. After a few short years of that fiasco I couldn't see iron sights on handguns or long guns and be able to actually focus on a target. So, I opted to scope my Rossi R92 being top eject it required a LER scope. From some very good advise I opted for the Weaver Scout Scope, 4X, and was immediately impressed. In 2017 I found a new "eye guy" that understood my needs and fitted me with tri-focal contact lenses that have themselves been amazing. If it weren't for the brain surgery stuff in late 2016 the new trifocal lenses would probably be much more "amazing", but needless to say, I can again see iron sights as well as targets again. Having weighed the options though, I've decided that the Weaver Scout Scope will stay on that R92. It's been a good investment in my opinion.

jd
    Bobshouse and tranteruk like this.
    Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!!

Team 30-30 #939
    Team Rossi #5
    Team Wheelguns #44

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks for the replies. For the record the idea was not for my 1894c. That mostly wares only Skinner irons, and sometimes a dot sight. I do have a low power scope for it but only for group/ new load testing. Nothing else. Doesn't bother me if the groups are off, as long as I can estimate size.

The forward scope thought is for a K98, and after much thought I am about ready to shelve the project, again.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Super Moderator
    Member #
    T, my son put a Leupold "PigPlex" LER scope on a Ruger M77/.357 bolt gun several years ago. The last I saw of it (at least 3 years ago) the set up was really nice. I'm not sure that I would have done it on the Ruger .357, at least not now with having halfway decent vision again. It was a good scope though.

jd
    Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!!

Team 30-30 #939
    Team Rossi #5
    Team Wheelguns #44

Deadeye
    Member #
    I only have one. Its on a top eject Win94. It performs well enough out to 100 yards. I didn't spend a lot of cash but this Bushnell Trophy Scout is a decent scope none the less.

redhawk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.

Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links