Cheap scopes on nice rifles
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Cheap scopes on nice rifles

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Cheap scopes on nice rifles

I've been noticing over time as I've browsed through the used firearms inventories of numerous gun shops, that people sure seem to put a lot of crappy scopes on nice rifles. Now, I don't completely buy the advice I so often see on the internet about spending at least as much on glass as on the rifle itself. But still- it seems to me that if someone is going to drop 8 or 9 big ones on, say a nice bolt action hunting rifle, it at least deserves something like a nice Leupold on it.

That's not at all what I see on the racks of gun dealers. There are an awful lot of otherwise very nice used rifles for sale that have blue light special scopes on them. And, not only are the scopes cheap, but Bubba seems to have mounted most of them.

I realize, of course, that the nicer scopes tend to get removed from the rifles, and are either kept by the owners, or sold separately. Even that fact doesn't come close, though, to explaining the rest of them. If lots of people put decent scopes on their guns, you'd see a lot more guns without scopes on them for sale.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Ditto,

I totally agree with your above statement! I'll go a step further and wonder why people mount drab matte scopes on gloss blue rifles. I'm a huge Leupold fan, I stopped counting after 20 of them. I even named my dog Leupold. It's funny, but if I go to trade a nice rifle in or sell a nice rifle on Armslist, I hardly get any interest because it has no scope. So, I started slapping cheap scopes and junk mounts that I have acquired over the years from nice rifles that I have purchased. Guess what? Instant deals! I just don't understand it either.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by bassetman1974 View Post
    Ditto,

I totally agree with your above statement! I'll go a step further and wonder why people mount drab matte scopes on gloss blue rifles. I'm a huge Leupold fan, I stopped counting after 20 of them. I even named my dog Leupold. It's funny, but if I go to trade a nice rifle in or sell a nice rifle on Armslist, I hardly get any interest because it has no scope. So, I started slapping cheap scopes and junk mounts that I have acquired over the years from nice rifles that I have purchased. Guess what? Instant deals! I just don't understand it either.
    Hmmm... so you're ​the guy who's been doing that!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    From what I have seen its mostly the really young guys putting on the cheap scopes. I figure they probably don't have the money for quality glass or possibly don't know the difference between the crap scopes and the good ones. Lets face it you can get by with a cheap scope, even the some of cheap and mid range scope are better today than they used to be. I run some cheap scopes on a few of my 22 rifles, but like you I prefer Leupolds on all my hunting guns
    Love me some 45-70's
    Can't get enough 22 Mags

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    a rifle is no better than the optics on it.

El Kabong
    Member #
    Ive put my SWFA SS up against scopes worth 1000s more and can shoot with the best of them.
    Its an ex-military designed scope which is the exception to the cheap rule, they cost $300.
    With accessories about $500.

It is the cheapest scope Ill ever use.
    Uzi, capt greg, MidBigWest and 2 others like this.

Banned
    Member #
    I don't know if I would spend as much on the glass as I did on the rifle.I guess it depends on the rifle .But,the only scopes I own are Nikon and Leupold.I used to have a Simmons on my 1022, but I replaced it with a Nikon rimfire.I do not like the cheap glass.
    I have bought severalsed rifles at pawn shops and LGS.Dont know why the previous owner put a Tasco on mint cond 39a.
    MidBigWest likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I'm another one of those types, who refuses to put a matte scope on a blued rifle. Seems that Leupold is only outfit offering a gloss scope anymore, and they seem mostly limited to the VXIII line. Find a fair amount of good american made blue/gloss Weavers, Redfield and Luepolds on the used market for very fair prices. But you take your chances here, some are indeed very good and some have had serious undisclosed issues, so never pay to much. The exception, I suppose is Leupold, you can send them in under the lifetime warranty for repair I understand. As for less expensive scopes, and life on a budget, thats okay, been there myself.
    MidBigWest and Wes like this.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Guys putting on "cheap scopes" probably don't do an analysis of the +/- give and take on why more expensive scopes are critical to some of us. Todays cheap scopes have very good optics. If your only criteria is reticle picture and magnification, a cheap scope fills the bill. But if you demand the finest clarity in all lighting conditions (multi-coated lenses for maximum light transmission), the precision of parallax adjustability (fine focus at any target distance with no distortion), and ability to adjust elevation and windage and return to absolute zero (shooting the box), or illuminated reticle for extremely low light conditions, well..... cheap scopes just can't compete. Lastly, the illuminated dot sights might be fine for hunting, but they cover 1-3 MOA at 100 yds and will not satisfy target shooters. You get what you pay for. Me, I'm a Leupold man. Read my signature line.
    The Wise man said: "Money talks". Bob Dylan said: "Money don't talk. It swears".

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I tend to agree, and especially if planning to be in the field hunting with one for any period of time. When I was young and learning to shoot from my Dad, he gave me some advice I've tried to follow to this day. He told me along the lines when buying a new rifle that, "If money is an issue, buy a cheaper rifle and get a better scope." I've found that little tidbit to be true over all these years, and I've been with numerous guys hunting/shooting that had their scopes fail, fog up or blurry in the cold, often need to be re-zero/adjusted, can't take a fall/bump, and/or what have you. Murphy's Law coming into play, and happening at the worst of times too. I've taken some ribbing for it before, but also a Leupold fan of sorts, having had several of their scopes on some rifles of mine for decades without a single issue, and through some pretty nasty conditions to boot. I guess it depends on one's expectations, how and where used, etc., but I like quality tools that last, and the confidence of knowing I can count on my scope as much as my rifle when "out there"...
    "Measure twice, cut once"... you can apply that to much in life.

Team 35 rem #483
    Team 30-30 #876
    Team Shotgun #2
    Team 60 (Model 75) #173
    Team 444 #592
    Team Old Pharts #193
    The Marlin League #160
    Team Winchester #36 ~ Team Captain
    Team Rossi #11
    Team BROWNING #1 ~ Team Captain
    Teams~ Glenfied #13, Wheelguns #36, Semi-Auto #21, Mitchell #8

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast