My H&R set
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: My H&R set

Sidewinder
    Member #

My H&R set

About a dozen years ago I found an H&R 12 ga shotgun without a stock at a garage sale for $40. I took it home and bought a stock off of ebay. I mentioned to a friend of mine who then proceded to take bring out about a dozen H&Rs all with cut down barrels. He informed me that you could switch barrels on them and even use some of the low pressure rifle barrels on the SB1 frames. In fact he said, he had a short 357 mag barrel that someone had cut down a fraction of an inch below 16". He bored out an AR flash hider and brazed/welded it on to meet the legal length. He asked me if I wanted it? "Heck yeah" was my reply. BTW, the sights are off a Remington rifle of some kind.

After picking up a couple extra 12 and & 20 ga barrels and cutting them down and fitting the 357 mag bbl I had a set. Shown with the 20 ga bbl mounted. You lose the front bead when you cut down a barrel. A snap on fiber optic sight (I have since added one to the 12 ga bbl) fixes that problem. That stock pouch will hold 24 20 ga. or 20 12 ga shells. Came with different size velcro stick on shell holders.

I recently dragged the 357 barrel out since I've been doing a lot of reloading during the shutdown. My old eyes don't see the iron sights very good anymore so I mounted a scope on it. The scope is a cheap fixed 4x which is fine for testing loads at 25 yards.

That's a couple Dan Wesson revolvers with extra bbls with it and a Ruger Security Six I recently picked up. I've been testing loads through all of them.

So I was visiting my buddy the other day (masks and social distancing were in effect) who had a gun I wanted. I mentioned that I had been shooting the 357 barrel recently and he mentioned that he had a 44 mag barrel he bought decades ago and never shot. Was I interested? "heck yeah" says I. He tends to cut everything down to the legal limit but never got around to this one. It was the full 24" long. So I bought it for what he paid for it a couple decades ago. He even threw in a padded case.

I've since made a leather sling and stock cuff/ammo holder (for the 357). Both barrels and the stock/frame fit the case. Might be able to fit the shotgun barrels in it as well but I haven't tried.

And with the 44 barrel. I may make another stock cuff or alter the existing one to take half 357s and half 44s.

I'm debating having him cut the 44 bbl down to 16" to make it handier. He has access to a machine shop at work and does a good job.

So that's my H&R set. The H&R is kinda cool in that it allows the swapping of barrels.
    Last edited by mac66; 05-27-2020 at 01:59 PM.
    No man made law prevents anyone from doing anything they have a mind to

Wrangler
    Member #
    Very interesting set-up-kind of a universal truck gun combo! Thanks for sharing.
    gunscrewguy and Sambane like this.
    This is the day which the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24

Team: .35 Rem #803; Team .30-30 #1462

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Nice job, I like how it all firs into the case.
    gunscrewguy and Sambane like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Yup, cool!~
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I dug the other barrels out. They all fit in the case.

The case as shown weighs 20.7 lbs without ammo.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Sorry duplicate post

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have a H&R 20 ga my son picked up for me at a yard sale last summer for $70. I haven't cut the barrel down since I already have a cut down 20 ga. The barrel on it is pretty light weight compared to the other/cut down 20 ga bbl though the receiver is the same as the other one. I may fit either the 357 or 44 mag bbl to it so I have two rifles. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

Travlin and turbobug like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Always wanted one in .357 Maximum.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I have an h&r that has a cut 20 gauge barrel. It's still of legal length but I'm missing the choke. I tried one other barrel but the lockup was off. How do you fit the barrels to the receiver?
    turbobug likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    That is a very useful stock,receiver and set of barrels. I am sure that you know this but just in case someone reading this gets ideas, remember the shotgun frame is not strong enough to be used with high pressure rifle calibers such as 308, 243 etc. I have an H&R Shikari 45-70 with a 28 inch barrel. It cost me $65 new and it was my first 45-70 . I still enjoy shooting it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links