• 1 Post By Lever Jac
  • 2 Post By flatnose
  • 2 Post By HIKayaker
  • 1 Post By 70torino

Thread: handi rifle sb2 30-06 issues what to do

Tenderfoot
    Member #

handi rifle sb2 30-06 issues what to do

21 years ago bought a new nef handi rifle 30-06 it had issues from the start it did not eject spent casings. I sent it back for warranty it was sent back to me fixed so nef said. sighted her in with no issues and went elk hunting. one head shot for my first 4pt bull elk. the casing would not eject. got home put the rifle in the safe for 20 years i was mad. i recently contacted nef or the company that bought them out they had record of the purchase and my warranty issue and had me send the rifle to their gun smith. i just received the rifle back stating it is not repairable. when i originally sent it in for the warranty it was supposed life time warranty. well im not dead but i guess the rifle is so no warranty? i do have a couple other nefs that i love. what would you guys do?
    Lever Jac, turbobug and lever30 like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I do not know enough to help you but it might make a good amateur gunmithing project. I'll be following the post.
    rob42049 likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I would have a gunsmith check the chamber. Sounds like you have a slight wallow and the spent case is conforming to it. That's the only thing I could imagine that they would think couldn't be fixed.
    turbobug and thegatman like this.
    Big, flatnose bullets eliminate tracking.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I'd say it's worth a call to the gunsmith who said it wasn't fixable, and ask him what he found the problem to be?

He's obviously not interested in fixing it himself, but if he found the problem, you can at least intelligently ask other smiths what they think about fixing it.

Short of a receiver failure, there's not much that isn't fixable, or at least addressable to where you can at least use it.

Sounds like it comes down to either a failure of the ejector, or something inside the chamber grabbing the case too tightly to allow the ejector to pop it out. Will it eject an empty case? (Drop one into the chamber and close the action. Then open it back up. Does it eject?)

If the casing gets stuck in the chamber after firing, and you know that the ejector works, I wouldn't shoot it since you could be stressing the ejector against the stuck case, and risk breaking the ejector system.

With a good light, you might be able to see enough into the chamber to see if the problem is in there.
    Good luck.
    Lever Jac and 70torino like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I had an H&R SB2 I believe from 1997 in 270 that ejected cases fine, but had accuracy problems. Also had the Handi Rifle from 1998 in 223 Rem. The ejector/ extractor would spring back missing the rim of the fired case and fail to eject cases. I learned to load by having the extractor under the rim of the case and then closing the action. Verses throwing a round in the chamber and snap the action shut. This helped 90% of the time, but still had to occasional stuck fired case. I traded the H&R/NEF stuff off and have moved on to higher quality firearms like the TC Contender and Encore without problems.

However, that doesn't mean you cannot enjoy your NEF if you are happy with what it does besides not extracting and ejecting the fired cases. I think you will have much better luck closing the action while seeing the ejector hook under the case rim while you close the action. Really hard to describe, but there are two ways to chamber a round on a NEF single shot.

Wrangler
    Member #
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Had similar trouble on a NEF 308. Sold it.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    The usual home fix for sticking brass is polish the chamber and do the ejector tune, both can be found in the FAQs sticky at the top of the H&R Centerfire Rifle forum on GBO, see my signature below.

The reason H&R changed to positive extractors starting in 2004 was the weak ejector design, it was fine for shotguns and low pressure rifle chamberings, but problematic on high pressure chamberings, they never made an ejector centerfire rifle barrel after 2007 for that reason, on shotguns and rimfire had ejectors.

Perklo's extractor conversion won't help sticking brass, it still relies on the weak spring to remove the brass. Conversion to factory extractor is the ultimate fix, requires milling and drilling the underlug to accept factory extractor parts, that's also shown in the FAQs at GBO.
    As for Remington's contract gunsmiths, no one on GBO was ever happy with their work, there aren't worth the effort, you're better off using a local smith or making the repair yourself.
    "Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" - Mark Twain

H&R Centerfire Rifle Forum: http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/108-h-r...re-rifles.html

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    update on 30-06 sb2. called ahlmans gun shop who h&r sent the rifle to they said the price to fix the rifle would exceed the value of the gun because of the headspacing problem. they said that is the cause of my problems. what they dont understand is my sentimental value. today i talked with a local shop in the nampa area we looked at the extractor and pivot i noticed that the extractor had a chip out of it and was loose in the housing. jim at the shop said he can take care of the head spacing by shimming and refitting the barrel to the receiver. he has said he has fixed several of the sb2s with the same problem over the years. he has one hell of a shop and said give him 3 or 4 days he will have in functioning correct for around 75 bucks and never have a problem with it again. long story i know but in the short go local if you can.
    galaxieman likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links