Weird question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Weird question

Wrangler
    Member #

Weird question

I have a question for you engineer and drafting whizzes. If I were to set up a reduced distance practice range for lever action silhouette rimfire; using 1/5 scale targets, what ranges does that calculate to?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
    Kevin.M likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    5 times further from where it sits. Bear in mind it does not include bullet drop.

AC
    Kevin.M and Lever Jac like this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Small small bore / rimfire silhoutte already uses 1/5 scale targets compared to high power matches. Do you mean targets that are 1/5 scale of the rimfire targets? If so just reduce the rimfire distances to 1/5.

Smallbore Rifle Competition -A sanctioned match consists of 40, 60, 80 or 120 rounds fired in the standing position on one-fifth size standard High Power Rifle Silhouette targets as follows:
    (a) Ten Gallina (chicken) targets at 40 meters (or yards). (b) Ten Javelina (pig) targets at 60 meters (or yards).
    (c) Ten Guajalote (turkey) targets at 77 meters (or yards). (d) Ten Borrego (ram) targets at 100 meters (or yards).

HIKayaker, Kevin.M and Lever Jac like this.
    NRA
    OGCA

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mikej View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. Small small bore / rimfire silhoutte already uses 1/5 scale targets compared to high power matches. Do you mean targets that are 1/5 scale of the rimfire targets? If so just reduce the rimfire distances to 1/5.

Smallbore Rifle Competition -A sanctioned match consists of 40, 60, 80 or 120 rounds fired in the standing position on one-fifth size standard High Power Rifle Silhouette targets as follows:
    (a) Ten Gallina (chicken) targets at 40 meters (or yards). (b) Ten Javelina (pig) targets at 60 meters (or yards).
    (c) Ten Guajalote (turkey) targets at 77 meters (or yards). (d) Ten Borrego (ram) targets at 100 meters (or yards).

Okay, now if I want to use 1/5 scale rimfire targets in place of 1/2 scale targets, what distance would I set them at to make them appear to scale. In other words a reduced range of lever action rimfire silhouette.

Kevin.M likes this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    If you reduce the range, you should also reduce the size of the silhouette targets. Even if you are just using paper.

But a lot of the fun is hearing the "ping" and seeing them fall.

And, you don't need to factor in the bullet drop.

Another idea, is to shoot airgun silhouette.It would be an excuse to buy an air rifle. A good one.

American Airguns - Airgun Silhouette

The originial silhouette targets consisted of life size steel plate silhouettes of a chicken, pig, turkey, and ram. Using a 1/10th scaled down versions of the silhouettes, air rifle and pistol matches can be held. In a match, these targets are arranged in banks of five animals. For air rifle silhouette, the shooters shoots the chicken at 20 yards, the pig at 30 yards, the turkey at 36 yards, and the ram at 45 yards. Air pistol silhouette shoots the same targets at 10, 12.5, 15, and 18 yards, respectively.

A typical match may consist of 40, 60, or 80 shots. For a 40 shot match, the shooter fires twice at each 5 target bank of animals. This gives your 10 shots for each of four types of animals for a total of 40 shots. For a 60 or 80 shot match your simply increase the number of times you shoot at each bank.

The silhouette targets are shot from left to right in the bank. One shot is fired at each animal. If you miss one target, you move on to the next animal. Any shot out of sequence is considered a miss. Scoring is very simple, if your shot knocks the target completely off of it's stand it is a hit. Anything else is a miss. The shooter is given 2 1/2 minutes to shoot each bank preceeded by a 15 second ready period. After the shooting period, scores are recorded and target are reset. If you don't get your 5 shots off in during the 2 1/2 minutes, the remaining shots are scored as misses. All shooting in Silhouette is performed from the standing (off hand) position. No additional slings, butt hooks, palm rests, gloves, or shooting jackets are allowed.
    There are classifications for different types of guns and levels of skill. There is also a division between scoped shooters and iron site shooters. This allows beginers to compete along side seasoned vetereans. With the relatively short distances, this is a game that can enjoyed at just about any range or backyard. Give it a try and see how much fun silhouette can be.
    Kevin.M likes this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Chicken 8, Pig 12, Turkey 15.4, Ram 20 yards or meters, your choice.
    NRA
    OGCA

Gunfighter
    Member #
    .5 size is set at half the distance for P.C.Leveraction.
    Then .20 size should be set at 1/5 distance.

Chicken at 10 meters
    Pigs at 20 meters
    Tickets at 30 meters
    Rams at 40 meters.
    not an engineer, just a cook

Course your going to put holes in the targets and blow them all to help.
    Ask me how I know.
    Last edited by Ojaileveraction; 04-27-2020 at 11:31 AM.
    Tim​
    A confirmed Pedant

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ojaileveraction View Post
    .5 size is set at half the distance for P.C.Leveraction.
    Then .20 size should be set at 1/5 distance.

Chicken at 10 meters
    Pigs at 20 meters
    Tickets at 30 meters
    Rams at 40 meters.

Course your going to put holes in the targets and blow them all to help.
    Ask me how I know.
    this is what I was looking for thank you

Kevin.M likes this.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    20200427_093655.jpg
    1/5 turkeys
    Tim​
    A confirmed Pedant

Wrangler
    Member #
    I will be using std vel lr only, and not come any closer than 20 meters. A long time ago I made a mild steel chicken and set it out against a sand bank at 100yrds, I shot at it several times with my .243. I kept seeing dust around it for several shots and couldn't believe I missed it several times, went up and found the interesting holes like that in it. Same amount of metal pushed out of both sides, high intensity.

rifrench likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links