Like Tree11Likes
  • 9 Post By Lever Jac
  • 1 Post By Herrschutz
  • 1 Post By Sideswipe

Thread: First pistol cal silhouette match today

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

First pistol cal silhouette match today

Shot in my first silhouette match today in 30 years. Instead of a 10lb 22 I had my 94cb in 45 colt. I was happy to get a 21 out of the match. It was a 90-90 day (90deg and 90% humidity). Met a lot of great people and had a good time. I am a little intimidated after reading about PoopDeckPappy's 19 out of 20. It has been very satisfying to do the work on my 94 and prove it out on the range. I received a lot of good advice from many contributors in this forum. Now I think after one match I am addicted. Want to break 25 next month.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Sounds like a good time to me! I am toying with the idea of Pistol caliber silhouette myself.

Joe
    Team 444 #134
    Team 45-70 #2
    '79 1894 44 mag
    1894P
    39A Golden Mountie

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lever Jac View Post
    Shot in my first silhouette match today in 30 years. Instead of a 10lb 22 I had my 94cb in 45 colt. I was happy to get a 21 out of the match. It was a 90-90 day (90deg and 90% humidity). Met a lot of great people and had a good time. I am a little intimidated after reading about PoopDeckPappy's 19 out of 20. It has been very satisfying to do the work on my 94 and prove it out on the range. I received a lot of good advice from many contributors in this forum. Now I think after one match I am addicted. Want to break 25 next month.
    Jac,

I recall my first match, 14. You did well! This is a humbling game. Three years later averaging 29-30 with a high of 34 so far. Keep practicing breath, trigger control, and spend most of your time looking at the place on the target you want to hit vs. the sights. If you have not moved to peep sights with a globe front yet, you should give it a try.
    Ojaileveraction likes this.
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I've never shot Silos with rifle except 22s which is a scaled down course. Shot a 34 with Rem RB with match barrel and target sights front and back. Didn't mean much because only two other guys were shooting iron sights in that class. Most shooters had BAs with target scopes. I think I didn't do bad, the guys with scoped BAs didn't do that much better.

We had same thing with handguns. The single shot pistols with & without scopes was what everyone was shooting. I did a 21 with a Ruger SBH 44mg. One old guy was shooting a 357 Colt 6" service pistol with fixed sights. He only shot a 14 but he hit all 40 targets. The single shot guys were making fun of him but I wouldn't want him shooting at me. I only went a couple months because it was all single shots in rifle cals and only a few guys were shooting revolvers and no one with auto pistols. They didn't get around to CF rifles before the club fell apart. I did shoot a few CF pistol Rams with my 95 Marlin. The 45/70 will take them off the post.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Wrangler
    Member #
    Well, sounds like you're off to a good start Lever Jac! I've been shoot'in silhouettes for about 5 yrs now (30-30 & 35 Rem). Shot my 1st rimfire match a couple months, now I'm hooked on that. Bought a 1894 in 45 Colt but haven't shot it yet. I think I finally turned the corner when I stopped frett'in about tight groups off the bench & realized shooting offhand at 200 yds is mighty different. As long as there's a "ding" followed by a falling silhouette I'm tickled pink.
    Ojaileveraction likes this.
    Team 35 Rem # 279 336SC
    Team 45-70 # 431 1895G
    1895LTD IV
    Rolling Block
    Team 450 # 60 1895MR
    Winchester 94, 1866-1966 Centennial

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links