New rifle need mould and powder help. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: New rifle need mould and powder help.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Goshawk View Post
    Mark, does the Universal more or less fill the case or is it possible to double charge with this powder?
    Hey Gos,

If you were to double charge a 45LC with 7.0 to 7.5gr of Universal Clays (or Unique), the case would be CHOCK FULL of powder (as 13.7gr UNIVERSAL CLAYS is what I use in the 45/70, which is about 1/3 full) LOL

Try it and see. Use your measure (or dipper) and put two charges in an empty case, whilst in the loading block. LOL

Later, Mark
    Goshawk likes this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Waiting to be banned....

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    The classic 45 colt mould is the Lyman 454190.
    Cast it soft (30:1) and load with Unique and/or Universal (which is not the same as "Clays")
    Hey M,

Hodgon makes a line of shotgun/pistol powders.

Clays (about like Red Dot), International Clays (a bit slower than Green Dot) and Universal Clays (about like Unique).

This is the CLAYS "LINE" of Powders... and introduced in the early/mid '90's.

Take a look at a burn rate chart..

Later, Mark
    Goshawk likes this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Waiting to be banned....

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Ok, I tried the Universal powder in my 45Colt. Shot fine but heated the barrel really fast and the empty’s were very hot also. Is this normal?
    NON ILLIGITIMIS CARBORUNDUM EST

JM 336 30-30
    JM 336 35 Rem x 2
    Winchester Sporter 38-55
    MR 1895 Classic 45-70

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I have a 25-5 with 83/8" barrel. When I got it all I had on hand were Lyman 454-190s the traditional bullet for 45Colt. I loaded them up with 9.0gr Unique at 875fps and it shoots like a target pistol. I came into 16lb of Win 630 dirt cheap and been using it 14.5gr at approx same velocity and it works well. I cast the bullet straight 50/50 lead& WWs. The Lyman 454-190 seems to shoot well out of Rugers and Colt clones too. Only 45Colt load I have that isn't a WC.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links