Enhancing a Marlin 1984 Cowboy 45LC for Silhouette - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Enhancing a Marlin 1984 Cowboy 45LC for Silhouette

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MisfitGeek View Post

So I ordered a Marlin 1984 Cowboy (in 45LC for ease of ammo acquisition) and want to set it up for my aging eyes.
    I use Williams receiver sights, but tangs are fine too.

I have a link to an "assistance" tool for setting sights for those of us with tired eyes. Mine is for the Williams. but I'm sure you could do similar with other sights.....

Just takes a little handymanning and a little patience. But it saves me time on the line!

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/a...er-sights.html
    Safe queens should be taken out and shot!

Team ANZMO - #58 - born and bred
    Team 1894 - #347 - 1894M
    Team 30-30 - #998 - 336 Zane Grey
    Team 39 - #372 - 1954 and 1960 39As

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MisfitGeek View Post
    So, after years of doing "tactical" pistol stuff I've decided that cowboys have more fun

I've shot a couple Silhouette practice nights with a Henry .22LR and at one fired another member's Marlin in .41 MAG and it kind of hooked me.

So I ordered a Marlin 1984 Cowboy (in 45LC for ease of ammo acquisition) and want to set it up for my aging eyes.

I'm thinking of either a Lyman Globe or Lee Shaver front sight and am interested in opinions on models and sight heights.

For the rear, I was thinking about Marble Tang Sights though would consider the Lee Shaver Soule if I could be convinced they were really worth the price difference.

I'll be grateful for advice on those choices and any other advice you can offer on my first center fire Marlin and in getting into Silhouette.

Thanks !
    MisfitGeek,

I have been hooked on the silhouette game for several years and have several big bore lever rifles and pistol cartridge lever rifles. The Marble tang sight is a good choice as well as the Williams fool proof target knob sight. They both work well for the pistol cartridge course of fire.

I also have a Lee Shaver economy soule sight on a 38-55 Marlin CB. I shoot a 270gr cast bullet that leaves the barrel at only 1,030 fps. The front sight is a medium height Lyman 17A globe. There is 27 min of adjustment between the chicken and ram. The Lee Shaver sight provides the vertical adjustments needed with ease and repeatable accuracy. I have a 45-70 and 30-30 that both have the Williams fool proof target knob sight and both work well with the factory front sight or low 17A front globe.

For the pistol cartridge course of fire, there is no need for the Soule type sight. However, I understand the difference between need and want!

Look at (Bullaloarms.com) for a wide variety of the Williams fool proof target knob sights. I have the side mount version. They may also have a top mount version that attaches in the rear scope mount holes.

Good luck
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I am not a huge fan of Williams fp tk sights, but that's what we are using. Very simple to install and set up. Front sight height could be a big deal if you need 20+ minutes of elevation to reach rams.

I doubt if the 45 LC is ideal for the 200m stage, but that doesn't mean it's not fun or worth doing . Go for it . Definitely works for pistol cartridge as per previous posts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I use a williams foolproof on most of my marlins, if that does not work.... you can always scope it. I don't like the tang sights, as they 1) get in the way of my thumb, 2) have the possibility of hitting me in the face (not on a 45 colt but maybe on my 45/70 or 50 alaskan) and 3) have a good chance of scratching the wood when they fold down unexpectedly... like transporting them.
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

Sidewinder
    Member #
    [QUOTE=buckeyeshooter;7664797]I use a williams foolproof on most of my marlins, if that does not work.... you can always scope it. QUOTE]

No scopes in Lever Action Silhouette. Buckhorn or peep sights are OK, but no scopes, red dots, or any optics.
    .45 Colt will take a 200 yard ram, but trajectory is rainbow-like. Better to work up a mild load for Pistol Cartridge and use 30-30 for the long range matches.

If you go for a tang sight learn to hold the rifle with your thumb to the right of the sight post - wrapping the thumb around the stock is a beginners error. Go to a match and see what others are doing. You'll need a good (key work "GOOD") gunsmith to mount a tang sight and if the serial number is on the tang you'll have to have it restamped on the receiver.

A Williams sight is a lot less trouble!
    M

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    [QUOTE=michael;7664843]
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeshooter View Post
    I use a williams foolproof on most of my marlins, if that does not work.... you can always scope it. QUOTE]

No scopes in Lever Action Silhouette. Buckhorn or peep sights are OK, but no scopes, red dots, or any optics.
    .45 Colt will take a 200 yard ram, but trajectory is rainbow-like. Better to work up a mild load for Pistol Cartridge and use 30-30 for the long range matches.

If you go for a tang sight learn to hold the rifle with your thumb to the right of the sight post - wrapping the thumb around the stock is a beginners error. Go to a match and see what others are doing. You'll need a good (key work "GOOD") gunsmith to mount a tang sight and if the serial number is on the tang you'll have to have it restamped on the receiver.

A Williams sight is a lot less trouble!
    M
    If we are talking SASS long range rifle, then you are stuck with the tang. I don't think anything else is legal. The williams is NOT legal I know. Have been shooting SASS for 10-12 years now, I don't wrap the thumb over on main match rifle, but when hunting or long range I do, better accuracy and a habit for me. Been shooting a lever gun over 55 years wrapped. I had Turnbull make me a 32 inch barrelled, shotgun butt Winchester 1886 in 50-110 for my long range shooter.
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

Tinhorn
    Member #
    [QUOTE=buckeyeshooter;7666189]
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post

If we are talking SASS long range rifle, then you are stuck with the tang. I don't think anything else is legal. The williams is NOT legal I know. Have been shooting SASS for 10-12 years now, I don't wrap the thumb over on main match rifle, but when hunting or long range I do, better accuracy and a habit for me. Been shooting a lever gun over 55 years wrapped. I had Turnbull make me a 32 inch barrelled, shotgun butt Winchester 1886 in 50-110 for my long range shooter.
    They aren't talking about SASS...this is lever gun silhouette.....Williams is legal...Shrps74
    Lever Jac likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links