• 1 Post By kobeinu
  • 2 Post By Herrschutz
  • 1 Post By PAndy
  • 1 Post By Ojaileveraction

Thread: Anybody shooting steel yet?

Sidewinder
    Member #

Anybody shooting steel yet?

We have made it to one local match. Not ready but we went for fun anyway. I think a lot of people in the Northeast have had a difficult time finding decent weather to work on sight settings etc. If it's not raining or snowing...it's been windy.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I dunno cuz I have never participated in a sanctioned match.............but if I get a chance to go to the farm and bring some shootin irons, I could care less if it is raining , snowing or the wind is blowin. Seems every time down there i get the wind and the rain part, of course I also built a pole barn to shoot out of in the rain..............well it is actually a blueberry sorting shed but well it is a short season............uh blueberry that is. We shoot all year long.

Get out there and shoot some man!
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguvna View Post
    I dunno cuz I have never participated in a sanctioned match.............but if I get a chance to go to the farm and bring some shootin irons, I could care less if it is raining , snowing or the wind is blowin. Seems every time down there i get the wind and the rain part, of course I also built a pole barn to shoot out of in the rain..............well it is actually a blueberry sorting shed but well it is a short season............uh blueberry that is. We shoot all year long.

Get out there and shoot some man!
    I'm heading down to the property this weekend.

Let's see:
    Marlins - check!
    Ammo- check!
    Steel targets - check!
    Blueberry sorting shed - doh!

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    mrguvna and MidBigWest like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Deadeye
    Member #
    The club range has been closed since before Christmas due to a wildfire. Hope to shoot in the State Championships Memorial Day
    l've been able to decide on loads using public ranges but getting sight settings is going to be more difficult .
    MidBigWest likes this.
    Tim​

"There Are More Things in Heaven and Earth,
    Than Are Dreamt Of In Your Philosophy."

Power to the proper people at 600 yards

Contributing Member
    Member #
    It hasn't really been acting up....
    MidBigWest likes this.
    New to Marlins but already got the bug. Dammit. And now I went and caught some reloading.

1894 .357
    1894 .44 #426

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by PAndy View Post
    We have made it to one local match. Not ready but we went for fun anyway. I think a lot of people in the Northeast have had a difficult time finding decent weather to work on sight settings etc. If it's not raining or snowing...it's been windy.
    PAndy,

Well, Southern California has many challenges when it comes to shooting sports. Outdoor ranges still operating is the biggest issue. Weather is usually not an issue except for the Santa Ana winds. I have shot in 4 matches so far this year. One pistol and one big bore at each. Just started last year and ended at the top end of AA. Now I am at the bottom of AAA and need to keep working up.

If you are every in LA, look up the club and see if you can make a match. Every month there is a two day match on the 2nd full weekend and a Sunday Lever Action match on the 3rd full weekend, all NRA and IHMSA courses of fire out to 200 yards.

https://www.shootingsteel.com/
    HerrSchutz
    NRA Life 1974
    40 gr to 535 gr, all moving at the most accurate velocity!
    Darwin was right, when left alone, nature has very efficient and effective ways of strengthening the gene pool​.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Well, that gives me one good reason to visit southern California. I was out there once before... Prado range in Chino, 1984. But my wife says that I "don't travel well". I think I embarrass her in airports. May get to ring a few gongs at home today. Good luck, all
    MidBigWest likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    The Rose Valley Range opens this weekend for a 7gun Shoot and CMP clinic. In time for Lever Action Silhouette tuneup before the Memorial Day Weekend.
    MidBigWest likes this.
    Tim​

"There Are More Things in Heaven and Earth,
    Than Are Dreamt Of In Your Philosophy."

Power to the proper people at 600 yards

Sidewinder
    Member #
    It's cool that guns are still allowed in California. Those ranges look awesome. We are fortunate here in PA...there are a number of clubs with folks who put forth the effort to hold silhouette shoots. Not a small effort. So we can shoot a few matches per month within 90 min of here. We try to support these matches and take kids along.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Geez, quiet bunch of shooters. We made it to a second match, possibly a third this weekend. I was glad to bring my son and an old friend (new shooter) along. still screwing around with ammo and zeros. All our guns finally have sights set up decently, so should go better from here. I had to start over on my .32-20 load but going to slower powder (2400) seems to have helped. So I'll shoot 9 gr of 2400 for a while at least until I have some time to experiment. CCI Select shoots well in my Marlin .22 and seems to knock the rams over okay, so I stocked up on that for summer. My eyes are giving me fits with the aperture sights, but I can live with it for now.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links