Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By lukianoj
  • 1 Post By rooterpig
  • 1 Post By lipripper

Thread: Proud new owner of a 35sg

Wrangler
    Member #

Proud new owner of a 35sg

So my new 35sg that I got second hand off this forum arrived. Below is the post I made in the 35rem forum!
    i really cant say enough good about flattop or this rifle. It’s a beautiful piece and he’s been incredibly helpful!

So my 35sg came in the other day, amazingly solid rifle. Flat top did great work on it! On my other marlin and winchester and any other lever gun I’ve handled there is always a little bit of a disconnect between the front and rear stocks. They just don’t feel “solid”. This one is like a rock, feels more connected. Can’t wait to shoot it!

Unfortunately the finish on the stock was not good enough for me (no fault of anyone!), plus I hate checkered stocks so I decided to go ahead and strip it off and sand off the checkering and refinish it. Stripping the marshield given its condition was just fingernails and a ring, then I broke out the medium grit drywall mesh and files to take off the ckeckering carefully. After that sanded it to 600 grit, then wetted and resanded it till the wiskers stopped. I was just gonna oil it but decided to do something a bit different than I usually do. Stained the stock with minwax red chestnut, the. Applied three light coats of minwax satin wipe on poly. Sanded with 600 then three more coats, sanded with 600 again and applied a thin coat. All in all pretty happy with the the finish I got.

The rifle currently has the factory sights and a Simmons 4x scope. Plan is to use the scope for load development then prob swap out for some skinner or willams peep sights and use the rifle with irons. Also considering leaving the scope base on and using a skinner barrel mounted aperture sight, or maybe drill and tap for a tang sight.
    Flat Top and Starrbow like this.
    - team 375 member 111
    - team 38-55 co-captain
    - team semi-auto member 68
    - team wheelgun member 104
    - team 35 member 753

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Looks great . Have you shot it ?
    Flat Top likes this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Well it’s nice to see that rifle pop up again, looks great. You do plan on rolling your own for it, right? I hope you can work up some good loads. I’ve got a SG35 with an 18.5” barrel and have found the sweet spot for it ,which I can’t remember off hand the Fps with a 260gn lead mold,
    I’m curious to see how yuor shots work out when you stretch it’s legs. Congrats on the purchase. You’ve got a great rifle there.
    Flat Top likes this.
    always remembered,KGW.thanks for the good times
    Team 35 #217
    Team 30/30 #799
    336 30/30
    336 35 Rem
    Camp 9
    1894C 357
    Model 60
    All JM
    Marlin League of Endangered Gun Owners #`138

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rooterpig View Post
    Looks great . Have you shot it ?
    yea ive shot it a few times, was getting close for the loads for the 310's (where i have been concentrating my efforts) but i put the guns up for the summer (other hobbies, LOL). Gonna work up the 260s this fall and winter to see if i can settle on a load. I got the 310s down to about a 1" group at 50, but i know its capable of so much more!!

Quote Originally Posted by lipripper View Post
    Well it’s nice to see that rifle pop up again, looks great. You do plan on rolling your own for it, right? I hope you can work up some good loads. I’ve got a SG35 with an 18.5” barrel and have found the sweet spot for it ,which I can’t remember off hand the Fps with a 260gn lead mold,
    I’m curious to see how yuor shots work out when you stretch it’s legs. Congrats on the purchase. You’ve got a great rifle there.
    Im loving this rifle is quickly becoming my favorite, id love to know what load you settled on!
    - team 375 member 111
    - team 38-55 co-captain
    - team semi-auto member 68
    - team wheelgun member 104
    - team 35 member 753

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links