Dumb Old Guy Wants To Ride - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Like Tree467Likes

Thread: Dumb Old Guy Wants To Ride

Gunfighter
    Member #
    First off I understand your desire to ride and commend learning a new hobby for fun. That said I can not emphasize enough to learn in a controlled environment from trained instructors. As others have suggested MSF classes and the Harley basic rider course are great places to begin. Either one will have trained instructors who have taught beginners in your age and skill bracket. This type of easing into riding will give you the defensive mindset needed as well as enough of a taste to let you know if you want to pursue riding further, as well as options as to what type and size of motorcycle you would likely prefer. Several years ago I taught the beginner rider course at a local Harley dealer and we definitely got some older beginners through it others decided it wasn't for them--but they at least tried chasing their dream and made an educated decision when deciding not to ride. If you do start riding advance rider courses are also available if desired. My own story of riding is about 35 years worth including a lot of years pushing a motor on duty. Retired now and still riding a Harley Ultra Classic and planning on several more years of the same.
    HIKayaker, M700, HoploDad and 1 others like this.
    Team 35 #365
    Team 444 #454
    Team 30-30 #851

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Plus 3 on MSF, Motorcycle Safety Foundation. When I did it there were two courses: 1) on their bike, usually a 125-something then 2) on your bike. Life saving. They teach things that don't make sense until you try them:
    - use more front brake than rear brake
    - push on your left handle bar to go left (counter steering)
    - yes, it's easy to bunny hop over a landscaping railroad tie even on a larger road bike
    - ride invisible: you are invisible always, no-one can see you, have a plan for each intersection... what if that guy pulls in front of me, what exactly will I do? Think this way all the time.

It's really fun. It's life changing if something goes wrong, but if you wear protection and ride a bit paranoid the odds are with you. On 100+ degree days I still wore my helmet, leather jacket, long jeans, boots covering my ankles and leather gloves. What the heck, you're going to sweat anyway, ain't so bad! Be safe!

I envy you evaluating and choosing what bike to ride... so many choices. My choice was used BMW's, had both the "boxers", horizontally opposed jugs and the faster K-bike 4-banger. The smallish 650 boxer was my favorite to ride... light weight, low center of gravity, good in the twisties. No-one steals them, cops don't ticket you because you get the benefit of the doubt being a safely dressed guy on a quiet, slow by comparison motorcycle. With factory hard bags on the back you can carry anything (takedown carbines included) and in the case of an accident, the hard bags and the motor's jugs that stick out make you feel like you're in a cocoon of sorts. (Consider though: "laying down" a bike to slow down rarely works... leather, metal and skin slide faster/further than brakes and tires.)

When child number two came along, I sold my bikes, but I still dream of riding (literally!) and hope to get back to it someday. Best wishes and if you take the plunge, please take the MSF classes, all that are available.
    HIKayaker, Kevin_L and cajun56 like this.
    All Guns Are Always Loaded, Finger Off The Trigger Until the Moment of Truth

Sidewinder
    Member #
    How is it going? Any test rides or decisions?
    Arky73, M700 and cajun56 like this.
    All Guns Are Always Loaded, Finger Off The Trigger Until the Moment of Truth

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    quads tend to roll on you id rather ride a solo off road ,if you fall off it it does not try to trample you
    cajun56 likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I'm not a fan of motorcycles, I worked too many fatal accidents involving them. Besides, it sure seems like a good way to become an organ donor before my time...
    “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer

NRA Life Member, 45-70, .30-.30.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    A Kawasaki Vulcan 500 is recommended.

TR
    cajun56 likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Tw200 is a great idea. Bought a xt225 when 43, had years of seeing how fast a sport bike would go, got to old for that.
    Riding a klx250s now exactly as you described, back roads and slow. Still fall off but doesn’t hurt so bad.
    Gear up. Motorcross boots, helmet, gloves, shin guard's. You will fall, but life is short.
    cajun56, Arky73 and HIKayaker like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_L View Post
    I'm not a fan of motorcycles, I worked too many fatal accidents involving them. Besides, it sure seems like a good way to become an organ donor before my time...
    So - perhaps don't bother reading or posting on the "motorcycles" part of Marlin Owners?

The majority here ride with a passion, and have done so for decades. We accept the danger. This forum is really for folks who like motorcycles. K?

Happy to talk Marlins with you elsewhere on the forum though.

Regards, Guy

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_L View Post
    I knew two guys, both in excellent health, fairly athletic, looked good. Both married with kids. One stood up at home, and fell over dead, massive heart attack, he was muscular and did sports, played golf with my Dad. 39 years old. The other guy was my Dentist. Walked into work one day and keeled over, also 39.

Nobody ever knows when their time is. I think I'll keep riding, my organs are fine where they are.
    barryinpa, M700, Arky73 and 1 others like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob42049 View Post
    I knew two guys, both in excellent health, fairly athletic, looked good. Both married with kids. One stood up at home, and fell over dead, massive heart attack, he was muscular and did sports, played golf with my Dad. 39 years old. The other guy was my Dentist. Walked into work one day and keeled over, also 39.

Nobody ever knows when their time is. I think I'll keep riding, my organs are fine where they are.
    after everything in my life from the Army years, to many years on fast motorcycles and some hazardous work, I am convinced of what I have always believed, when your number comes up, well there is nothing you can do about it. if it isn't one thing that gets you it will be another. like you I have seen some real health fanatics die long time ago. don't know why I am still here at 71, since I have been on borrowed time since 1970 when I came home. but here I am. kind of scarred up but still here.
    Barry
    M700, HIKayaker, rob42049 and 2 others like this.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links