A most depressing way to get off!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: A most depressing way to get off!

Marlin Marksman
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Member #

A most depressing way to get off!

Look! When you dump your bike, it's supposed to be special, right? 95mph on Dead Man's Curve, or being T boned by a fug box driving commuter, or maybe even a moment of your own idiocy, right? Not for me people. Oh No. 20mph approaching a pedestrian crossing, in the rain, the barest touch of the front brake on a bike I am well used to (Virago 535) and it dumps me on the road with a violence that had to experienced to be believed. The result was four broke ribs, a broken collar bone, cracked vertebrae, and a punctured lung! This owing to landing on the centre reservation kerb! Please insert an acceptable expletive of your choice. This is now three weeks since the landing. The first two weeks were in hospital on more opiates than consumed in some major cities. The worst part being the insertion of two chest drains, the second of which completely ignored any effects of local anaesthetic that had been administered. Now at home much enfeebled but slowly improving.

I'm not posting this to seek sympathy (although any going spare would be welcome) but it has aroused my curiosity. I was royally looked after in hospital by our NHS. What I'm interested in is what would happen to a person suffering such a fate in the USA. Assume no medical insurance (not a fair comparison I know as I have paid our National Insurance all my life, which covers such afflictions but it would be the basis for the start of a comparison). How would that work out re costs, treatment, aftercare etc.? Edit to clarify I'm in the UK.
    Speaking at Kanal D TV's Arena program, Turkey's Prime Minister Erdogan commented on the term "Moderate Islam", often used in the West to describe AKP and said, "These descriptions are very ugly, it is offensive and an insult to our religion. There is no moderate or immoderate Islam. Islam is Islam and that’s it."
    Source: Milliyet, Turkey, August 21, 2007

Allah FUBAR!

Wrangler
    Member #
    i am confident the paramedics would pick me and deliver me to the nearest hospital that must treat me to keep me alive.
    the bill will be resolved later, if i live.
    Team 444 Number 777

Deadeye
    Member #
    My daughter is a nurse... she sees them come in all the time.
    He is on the gurney, his leg is on the shelf underneath.

One of the blessings of the human body, is when your foot is torn off being dragged under your Harley, the body shuts down the bleeding.

I have ridden since 1963, and am going to sell my Harley and hang up my chaps.
    Every day in my area, there is an accident and/or a fatality.
    Time to quit while I still have both legs.

Here in the US, the indigent get great care, but I pay for it.
    A few years back, my scheduled surgery for a hernia was postponed because the destitute illegal was a higher priority than me as a paying patient.
    Life NRA Member; Annual GOA Member, VCDL Member, SASS #108882
    "When I'm dead, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them."
    Marlin 1894CB, Ruger SASS and Bisley Vaqueros, Bisley Single-Six, Charles Daly 500, Henry Frontier

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    The hospital would treat someone properly with the costs to be worked out somehow. You do have my sympathy and I hope you have a fast recovery. I had a similar experience, but not your back injury. I was going 20 mph on a winding country road in Virginia, USA, when a pickup truck on my side of the road hit me and kept going. I had a brolem collar bone, three broken ribs and a punctured lung. I was in the hospital 24 hours with no pain medication but Tylanol because I can not tolerate stronger pain killers. Damage to the Harley was $3000. Hospital costs were $4000 and doctors were $1000. Even the Harley was covered by insurance. I also got a bonus insurance payment for pain and suffering of almost $15000. Yours seems to be a better report than we usually hear about your NHS. We are working our way through one here and will eventually work it out. I had good private insurance.

Deadeye
    Member #
    We have 20 million illegals without health insurance.
    They get treated all the time without paying a dime.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    It's illegal in the US for a hospital to refuse to treat an emergency patient. Those without private medical insurance are covered by Medicaid, which hospitals must accept if they ever hope to get government or state funding of any sort. Same for Medicare.

Individual practitioners may choose not to accept Medicare and Medicaid, as they only pay 1/4-1/3 of private insurance. But it has to be all or none. They cannot accept those from some patients and not others. Hospitals will allow these physicians to admit and treat their private patients, but if the physicians want to get referrals to patients admitted from the emergency room, they are required to accept Medicare and Medicaid. Hospitals get paid better for these patients than the physicians do.

As above. Treatment would be given and the bills worked out later. However, the private insurance patients end up covering the difference, one way or another. Hospitals write off a large amount of "no pay" every year. The patients will be charged, but they cannot be "repossessed", so if it drags on and on, eventually a settlement can be made for 0.20-0.25 on the dollar. Estates can be held liable for expenses, but heirs cannot.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Marlin Marksman
    United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    Member #
    Thanks for the replies chaps. Most interesting.
    Speaking at Kanal D TV's Arena program, Turkey's Prime Minister Erdogan commented on the term "Moderate Islam", often used in the West to describe AKP and said, "These descriptions are very ugly, it is offensive and an insult to our religion. There is no moderate or immoderate Islam. Islam is Islam and that’s it."
    Source: Milliyet, Turkey, August 21, 2007

Allah FUBAR!

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    You'd have got very good care in the United States.
    If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Sounds a real pain. I have come off a few times over the years, mostly ice related though. Hope you feel better soon and the bikes not too bent.

One memory you will get was laying in the Euston Road, London having gone over a bonnet. The woman, who simply pulled a uey without looking was standing over me saying 'sorry I diddnt see you'. This transformed days later with the insurance company to 'He was driving too fast'. How we laughed on the way to A&E (ER).
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I've had two spills, both at slow speeds but was still banged up pretty bad. I hate when that happens.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links