Dual sport - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Dual sport

Wrangler
    Member #
    Another vote for the Mighty DR. Affordable, adaptable, capable, lots of aftermarket support. What's not to like? The seat! but lots of options to swap that out
    Crags 2.JPG
    pacificpt and ardenkent like this.

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    I'm a big fan of dual sports and ADVs. In 30 years of riding, I've nearly always had one in the stable, and as a mechanic, I rode many more than I owned. My personal favorite is the XR650L. For serious offroad work and occasional blasts down the highway, it's tough to beat. The Driz would be a close second, but a bit underpowered for my taste. Both are famously reliable. Owned a late '80s KLR650 for a couple of years. It was fast and comfortable for a dually, but reliability was poor.

These days I lean toward ADV. I cover more highway miles than trails, just because of access, but I do prefer my ADV to have legit dirt cred. Of the three bikes in my stable now, my Africa Twin hogs all my riding time. It's incredibly capable everywhere. I shun any ADV bigger and heavier than the AT. Really big bikes do not inspire confidence in me, and I've no desire to struggle under a 600lb+ bike should it spill in sand or mud.

I recently discovered the fine little NC700x. While it's not quite a legit dually out of the crate, Honda graced it with two key foundational elements: a very tractable, approachable motor, and an exceptional chassis that keeps weight low and centralized. I just outfitted one of my employee's NCs with some prototype suspension upgrade parts, along with a pair of TKC 80s. Darned if it isn't a legit off roader now, with improved street control to boot. It won't match my AT for power and speed, but I wouldn't hesitate to plan a serious adventure on it.

AT Marlin.jpgNC muddy.jpg
    Adam
    M700 likes this.
    Ranger Point Precision (Houston, TX) - We design and manufacture performance firearm parts for Marlin Firearms, Henry Repeating Arms, Winchester, Steyr Arms pistols (trigger kits, medium loop levers and takedown screws, peep and fiber optic sights, Marlin 1894 extractors, picatinny scope mounts, dovetail fillers, flyweight loading gates, mag followers and more). rangerpointprecision.com

COMING SOON: Our new motorcycle parts division which will be located on the web at RPPMOTO.com

Sidewinder
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A a lot to Southeast Asia
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerPointPrecision View Post
    I recently discovered the fine little NC700x. While it's not quite a legit dually out of the crate, Honda graced it with two key foundational elements: a very tractable, approachable motor, and an exceptional chassis that keeps weight low and centralized. I just outfitted one of my employee's NCs with some prototype suspension upgrade parts, along with a pair of TKC 80s. Darned if it isn't a legit off roader now, with improved street control to boot.
    Adam, I’ve been hooked on the Honda NC700’s for years now (see my #6 response in this thread). I’ve been spoiled by the great gas mileage along with the DCT trans and won’t go back to a manual trans again. But despite the many front/rear suspension and tire upgrades I’ve added to it, that 17” front wheel is always a plow whenever sand or soft gravel is encountered, allowing my impersonation of the old Laugh-In tricycle rider falling over.

Ray
    Last edited by NoFear2.45/70; 02-09-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    2007 Marlin 1895 XLR .45/70 - COAL 2.73” Customized, Accurized, & Lever-Tuned by M.L.McPherson

VFW Lifetime Member
    Team .45/70 #150
    Team Bikers #67

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NoFear2.45/70 View Post
    Adam, I’ve been hooked on the Honda NC700’s for years now (see my #6 response in this thread). I’ve been spoiled by the great gas mileage along with the DCT trans and won’t go back to a manual trans again. But despite the many front/rear suspension and tire upgrades I’ve added to it, that 17” front wheel is always a plow whenever sand or soft gravel is encountered, allowing my impersonation of the old Laugh-In tricycle rider falling over.

Ray
    Ray, I did see your earlier post, and was hoping you'd see mine. As announced in a different thread late last year, RPP will be launching a separate motorcycle aftermarket parts division around summer this year. You might be surprised/pleased to hear that the NC is one of the bikes we're targeting initially. Let's not hijack this post, but I am curious to hear more about your experience with the bike and various aftermarket products. PM me if you have some time.

AD
    M700 and pacificpt like this.
    Ranger Point Precision (Houston, TX) - We design and manufacture performance firearm parts for Marlin Firearms, Henry Repeating Arms, Winchester, Steyr Arms pistols (trigger kits, medium loop levers and takedown screws, peep and fiber optic sights, Marlin 1894 extractors, picatinny scope mounts, dovetail fillers, flyweight loading gates, mag followers and more). rangerpointprecision.com

COMING SOON: Our new motorcycle parts division which will be located on the web at RPPMOTO.com

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Taylor (owner of the aforementioned NC700x) and I spent Saturday doinking around in the dirt up at my farm. It was a good time. Nothing terribly challenging at the farm, but the NC proved hardly less capable in that environment than my Africa Twin. Biggest difference was the latter soaked up heavy hits easier with its long travel. On smaller stuff the NC held its own quite well, with its upgraded forks ironing out the nasty bits. Even on loose terrain and jumps, the NC felt unflappable and comfortable. I was impressed. The AT was also lots of fun. With big power on tap, it's easy to keep the bike in a near constant state of drift. Just turn off that silly torque control (they used to call it a wrist) and go bonkers.

Here are a couple of clips of the NC in action. Enjoy.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13K...p_iSsMfTrPwWke

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1N-...8QjZrWAviFFuyj

Wrangler
    Member #
    What exhaust is on that NC?? Sounds great.

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by chipper View Post
    What exhaust is on that NC?? Sounds great.
    That is an inexpensive (under $200) but surprisingly solid Delkevic shorty. Taylor runs it with DB killer removed. On bigger, sportier engines it might be obnoxious, but on the mildly tuned NC it sounds wonderfully throaty and thumpy, without being tiresome. I recommend.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I rode this 10 years ago when I was 65.

Deadeye
    Member #
    send it 2.jpg Old KLR 650, year 2000 manufacture. My daily transportation machine, and my get away from it all device.
    capt greg likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NoFear2.45/70 View Post
    Ray,
    I only had one NCX but I really liked it. I rode it for about 4 years. It was my last road going bike. I quit riding a couple years ago after 58 years and a couple hundred K miles. Mine was also a DCT and that was the reason I bought it. I have severe nerve damage and was having trouble with my clutch hand.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links