Z1 900 Kawasaki
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree93Likes

Thread: Z1 900 Kawasaki

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Z1 900 Kawasaki

I inherited this 1975 Kawasaki 900 back in 1985. I rode it for a few years and then went off to school. It sat in a barn during my school years and deteriorated. My cousin asked if I still had it so he acquired it and tore it all down. Every nut and bolt was off the bike. I saw it scattered throughout his basement in plastic bags with each part labeled. He completely restored the bike, even having it repainted with the same period-correct custom paint that was on the bike when my Dad first bought it. It was a retirement toy to himself. He suffered from Rheumatoid Arthritis for years but when he was on that bike, he was free. I can still hear the roar of the Kerker header as he would take off up the country road. He enjoyed the bike for about three years before he succumbed to his many ailments. He bought it off of one of his old riding buddies from the 40's and 50's when they both had Harleys. He acquired a taste for Kawasaki when he tried out my cousins 1972 H2 750 Mach IV. He jumped at the chance to get the Z1.

Well, fast forward and my cousin restored it so he and his son could enjoy it. They certainly did. But one day I received a phone call from my cousin and to make a long story short, he wanted me to have the bike again since it was my Dad's. I was speechless and, am to this day, very grateful for his generosity.

Here's a few pics.

Glauber's Gun Shop is in Carrolton, KY

Z1.Glaubers.JPG

Typical scene in KY. This one is along the Mary Ingles Highway, going east from I-275 along the Ohio River.

Z1.TobaccoBarn.JPG

Canal Boat in Metamora, IN.

Z1.MetamoraCanalBoat.JPG

Grist Mill in Metamora.

Z1.MetamoreGristMill.JPG

From another side of the Mill.

Z1.MetamoraCanal.JPG
    Last edited by oldgrappler; 02-17-2018 at 07:53 PM.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Wow.
    Great stuff!
    Thanks for sharing.
    I was reading one of your stupid rants, and thinking what a freaking idiot you are, until I realized it was one of my own rants from last week.

"Lord, bless me with patience... Not opportunities to be patient, I've had plenty of those and they don't seem to be working. The actual patience... !"

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    One more pic. This is the Busching Covered Bridge at the entrance to Versailles State Park, IN.

Z1.CoveredBridge.JPG

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    WOW! Thanks... That brings back some memories... My buddy had a Z1 and I had an H2... Those were the days...

Thanks again!
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Very nice. I never had a Z1, but got through three GPZ900's. As Scorpiusb says 'those were the days'..... All of the UK, most of Ireland and Europe.....

Can I share a memory I had lost? Last weekend an old friend visited. We used to go on bike rallies, and re recounted an incident from one of those, around 1977. On a sunny day sitting around with a couple of hundred other bikers in a tented field. A few kids from nearby houses came to look, and a little boy asked me if I would give him a ride on the back. As I thought proper, I said yes, if he had a note from his mum saying it was OK. He returned a half hour later with the note and apparently I said to my friend that I had always wanted to do that. Maybe saw it on a movie?

Apologies for thread drift but hope you enjoy the story a little.
    Last edited by tranteruk; 02-17-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Super Moderator
    Member #
    That reminds me a lot of my old bike riding the back roads back in central Kentucky.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Sweet Ride! Glad you got it back and can enjoy it. Thanks for posting the pics.
    oldgrappler and gunscrewguy like this.
    ​~ Mike
    <*)(((((>{

Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Great old bike, and an equally great story!

Thanks for sharing. Nice photos too.

Guy

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Nice bike! Brings back memories of the KZ’s...
    However complicated the issues become... it comes down to one simple question. Which is more important to you Life or Liberty? I've made my decision long ago.

"Is life so sweet or peace so dear; as to be paid for at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me Liberty or give me Death." Patrick Henry

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Great story and you've got one heck of a cousin!
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links