Carry a Rifle on a Motorcycle - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree199Likes

Thread: Carry a Rifle on a Motorcycle

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by WildFire View Post
    I live in Canada. There are three classifications of firearms: non-restricted (hunting type rifles, shotguns), restricted (handguns) and prohibited (autos, para military. etc). In all cases every person in Canada must have a license to acquire and possess a firearm. The only time it is OK to carry a rifle/shotgun is when hunting - never in a town. Ever. Handguns - even for Canadians - must be locked up at home, can only be used on the firing range, and must be locked while in the vehicle while travelling to the range. Do not pass go, do not visit aunt Jesse along the way. Getting a carry permit for a handgun - other than for police, peace officers, armoured car guards - is not likely. They only issue a few hundred handgun carry permits a year to people who work in the wilderness. They rarely issue hangun carry permits for personal protection. Its just different up here.

According to the CBSA web site, you might be able to transport your handgun. Check the section on "Visitors to Canada". https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html

As suggested above, contact the RCMP or CBSA and ask them what you can bring and how it has to be transported.
    Almost as bad as here in Aus. Handgun restrictions are very similar.

GUS
    Sambane likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by maki00 View Post
    That is sharp but after seeing the price I still prefer the BLR. As it stands now I'm leaning towards carrying bear spray and not camping in grizzly and brown bear country.
    M700 and Sambane like this.
    MDT

Marlin 336W w/ Nikon Monarch 2-8x32 BDC
    Marlin 1894C w/ Bushnell Trophy 4-12x40 AO
    Put BSA Catseye FM310x44 scope on 308 BAR
    Savage 10ML-II SS muzzleloader w/ silver Bushnell Elite 3200
    Barnett Quad 400 crosbow w/ scope
    Diamond Outlaw RAK Bow

Contributing Member
    Member #
    If you do camp, going up through BC and in the Yukon, there are excellent, inexpensive campgrounds. I was amazed in the Yukon, I'd get a campsite for $12 Canadian, which included a picnic table, a nice fire ring, a great tent site, and there was firewood in a covered bin, just 50 yards away. The toilets were clean, and there was even running water available in camp. The campsites in BC were a little more expensive, about $18, I think.

There are also some very nice privately owned campgrounds worth considering. Showers, flush toilets. Even a restaurant available for when you're tired of your own camp cooking.

Met some of the most terrific people along the way. A young German couple touring Canada. Several different Americans traveling to Alaska as I was.

Honestly, I felt just fine camping along the way up and back. I dove into a motel a time or two, but camped most of the time. I had the bear spray handy, but the 30-06 rifle stayed in the case, in my Jeep.

Oh, some parks, I think it's the "Provincial Parks", it is illegal to enter with a firearm. So... Be careful about that.

Regards, Guy
    Sambane and whiskers like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    There's an excellent campground just across the river from Dawson City. Take the ferry into Dawson City when you want, it's free. Dawson City, not to be confused with Dawson Creek, is a terrific place to stop along the way. It's a well-preserved gold-rush era town. I ate breakfast at the Jack London restaurant & hotel. Cool little place, the streets are still dirt:

Great campsite, and you'll also be able to see the "Top of the World" highway, which runs into Alaska, and is unpaved, but in excellent condition. Unlike most roads, it's built on the ridgetops. Amazing vistas!

Guy
    Sambane and whiskers like this.

Supporting Vendor
    Member #
    I know this is an old thread, but reading through it brings back a lot of good memories. I started taking long motorcycle trips right after graduating high school, and continued the practice into my mid thirties. Raising a child and starting a business made it tough to continue.

In 1994, at the age of 21, I embarked on what would become a 2 month solo trip covering several thousand miles, leaving New Orleans on my '84 CB1100F and taking a circuitous route along the west coast and back through the northwest states. I mostly camped along the way, meeting some wonderful fellow travelers. Too much to cover here, but the trip was monumental, and affected me so deeply that I still divide my life into "before and after". Without exaggeration, it was the single most important event in my process of becoming a grown man.

The adventures didn't stop there, and every single one has been memorable, if not quite as impactful. At this point I estimate I'm past the half million mile mark, just counting saddle time, and the meter is still running, though at a slower rate. There is still nothing that beats a good motorcycle and a fresh surprise around the corner. Hopefully me and my Africa Twin will see plenty of new adventures in the near future.
    AT Marlin.jpg
    Adam
    M700 likes this.
    Ranger Point Precision (Houston, TX) - We design and manufacture performance firearm parts for Marlin Firearms, Henry Repeating Arms, Winchester, Steyr Arms pistols (Polymer stocks, trigger kits, medium loop levers and takedown screws, peep and fiber optic sights, Marlin 1894 extractors, picatinny scope mounts, dovetail fillers, flyweight loading gates, mag followers and more). rangerpointprecision.com Our new motorcycle parts division can be found at rppmoto.com

Sidewinder
    Member #
    MD, go to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police website and download and fill out Form 5589. That will be your Firearms License. Make two copies. Do not sign them until the Canadian Customs agent tells you to.
    Whichever document ( passport or drivers license ) you choose to identify yourself with on 5589 must always be in your possession as well as your copy of the 5589.
    The gun itself must be locked, cable or trigger, even while it is encased. You have to lock up your gun and ammo in your house, car or truck, when you aren't actually hunting.
    You can avoid a visit to US Customs on your departure if you can get your gun to a Customs Office like at an air or shipping port near home and get a Form 4457 for it.
    Make an appointment or wait at the border.
    When you get to the Canada side of the border, you must declare the gun to the agent.
    You will be invited inside. Leave the gun on the bike, take your ID and Form 5589 in. Sign when told to, pay the $ 25 CAD, go to Alaska.

Wrangler
    Member #
    If you are still considering taking a rifle or shotgun on your trip don't use a leather scabbard. It will get wet and promote lots of undesirable rust. It's also probably not lockable.
    Hope you have a great time.
    I'm looking at the ride from south Fl. to Taos N.M. in early summer.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Shooter View Post
    You might consider a pump shotgun and quality slugs. For travel, remove the barrel and pack the stock-receiver-magazine assembly and the barrel in a shorter package. Like others have said, check the laws in every jurisdiction you will visit.

A double barreled shotgun would be simpler to break/assemble and present less chance of losing a part (like the threaded cap on the pump that fastens the barrel). Plus you could have one barrel loaded with buck shot and one with a slug.

T.S.
    I would suggest #00 buck if you carry a shotgun.
    Reason is that we had a post here on MO waaaaaay back from a ranger in that area that said in his observations hollow points caused the bear to snap at the wound and break off where heavy lead boolits did not make the bear even flinch. They may have penetrated but didn't really cause the bear any immediate discomfort.
    His theory was that the most effective way to route the bear is simply cause pain since they can survive or ignore some pretty serious internal injuries.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MDTrailrider View Post
    Maybe with a BLR takedown.

It'll probably be 12,000 miles round trip. It's about 9,300 miles directly there and back. It's six weeks if I average 300 miles a day. I prefer to average less, maybe 200 miles a day but I'm not sure I can get away from work an extra two weeks. I've ridden 600 miles in one day once. I don't care for that. Riding 400 to 500 miles to get back on pace once a week isn't bad.
    I'm gonna assume you are a member on Adventure Riders?
    https://advrider.com/f/
    They have many many posts on the Alaskan Highway, Canada, Alaska, bears and firearms on the road.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MDTrailrider View Post
    Guy,

More great info and great photos too. I'm not sure I want to trust my life to bear spray alone if I happen to stop at the wrong spot.

I anticipate 50 50 camping and hotels and am fine with state and federal camp grounds. We usually back country camp in the national forests, or along the Blue Ridge Parkway, in national park or national forest camp grounds on or near the Parkway. They're all nice.

Maybe we can synchronise and ride the northwestern stretch into Canada and Alaska together. I'm hoping to go in the next year or three, not this year. I already have three trips to Florida and Maine planned or in the works. I plan to take as northern a route as I can and hope to ride plenty of dirt roads. I believe your V Strom with the right tires is a capable dirt road and easy jeep trail bike. There are some jeep trails I've ridden my KTM and true dual sport bikes on that I won't take my loaded up Tiger on, especially trails with vertical rock ledges. I'm not busting my Tiger or collar bone on something like that.
    lol - years ago I had an MP3 500 3 wheeled scooter. Now I own a Vstrom and love it although it's a bit tall for my stubby lil legs.
    Anyway - this guy posted a thread that absolutely flabbergasted me in it's daring - he bought a MP3 in Florida and rode the Alaskan Highway with it - and MADE IT! Holy Moley.
    His tale is a great read - the dude can write - and has many many little useful nuggets of info.
    I highly recommend the read!
    George Orwell

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links