Dual sport bikes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Dual sport bikes

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Dual sport bikes

Looking at dual sport bikes.. Any opinions? That kawi KLR 650 has good reviews.. Anyone have one?
    However complicated the issues become... it comes down to one simple question. Which is more important to you Life or Liberty? I've made my decision long ago.

"Is life so sweet or peace so dear; as to be paid for at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me Liberty or give me Death." Patrick Henry

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I have the Suzuki V-Strom DL-650 which is an "adventure" bike. I chose it for many reasons including legendary reliability.
    I was looking at the Yamaha Super Tenere - nice looking bike seems very capable. The KLR is highly regarded as is the Suzuki DR-650S.
    Depends on what you're really going to do with it. If you'll spend time in rocky trails and class 3-4 roads - go with the dual sport.
    If occasional gravel and dirt roads with some touring you want an adventure bike.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Sidewinder
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A a lot to Southeast Asia
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by capt greg View Post
    Looking at dual sport bikes.. Any opinions?

This is how I roll!

image.jpeg

I currently have two 2012 Honda NC700X's, one is manual and the other one a DCT (auto trans) that I bought used last October to pull my moto-mule trailer. It had 3k miles when I bought it, now over 30k! I will be trading them both in for a 2016 NC700X DCT in a week or two.

Here is the thread about the 9k mile trip I took last month,

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/mo...ntry-ride.html

I am actually out on another trip now, and getting ready for Alaska in June or July. Maybe South America next year.

I can testify with direct knowledge about this Honda's reliability, cheap to buy and maintain, great mpg, and I love the frunk (front trunk) where the gas tank usually is. I can lock my full size helmet in there, and use it to charge my electric gadgets while riding. The NC700X is no crotch rocket but I can exceed hiway speeds if I want to. And did I mention great mpg?

Ray
    Last edited by NoFear2.45/70; 05-17-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    capt greg and whiskers like this.
    2007 Marlin 1895 XLR .45/70 - COAL 2.73” Customized, Accurized, & Lever-Tuned by M.L.McPherson

VFW Lifetime Member
    Team .45/70 #150
    Team Bikers #67

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    KLR650. I bought one in 2006, new. 50k miles later it has given no problems other than routine maintenance. Love it.
    capt greg, M700 and whiskers like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thanks for the info.... Gonna go check one out in person this week end..
    M700 and Texas Shooter like this.
    However complicated the issues become... it comes down to one simple question. Which is more important to you Life or Liberty? I've made my decision long ago.

"Is life so sweet or peace so dear; as to be paid for at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me Liberty or give me Death." Patrick Henry

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I was really tempted by the KLR 650 and other "big" single-cylinder dual-sport bikes. Ended up with the twin-cylinder V-Strom because I do a lot more highway miles than dirt miles...

The Strom certainly takes a distant second to any true dual sport off-pavement! If you're looking at the KLR, also check out the big Honda, and the Suzuki as well. Buddy of mine abused the heck out of his Honda 650, and it never came up short. Darned near unbreakable!

Guy

Sidewinder
    Usually on my 50ft liveaboard yacht tied up in Oregon, but also Space-A a lot to Southeast Asia
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by capt greg View Post
    Thanks for the info.... Gonna go check one out in person this week end..
    Since your in Western NC, there will be a bunch of dual sport bikes meeting May 19-22, motorcycle riders will gather at the Kickstand Motorcycle Lodge for a weekend of fun and frolic. This is an unofficial rally, no fees, no trophys, no embarrasing games, just great riding and camaraderie.

This rally is just a gathering of like minded riders. There are no planned routes or events. The plan is no plan. The weekend is what you make of it. Some years its epic, some years its just a nice weekend of riding. In the past, someone has always taken on the task of producing a T-shirt. I'm not sure that will happen this year.

Basics...We stay at the Kickstand Lodge on Highway 28 in Stecoah, NC. Kickstand Lodge motorcycle campground.

Might be worth a ride there to see bikes set up for riding back roads (not just looking at showroom floor models) and talking to their riders. Just a thought.

Ray
    capt greg, whiskers, M700 and 1 others like this.
    2007 Marlin 1895 XLR .45/70 - COAL 2.73” Customized, Accurized, & Lever-Tuned by M.L.McPherson

VFW Lifetime Member
    Team .45/70 #150
    Team Bikers #67

Life is Wonderful, if it isn't you may be doing it Wrong!

Deadeye
    Member #
    Been riding as my primary form of transport for more than 40 years now; Being in CA makes it easy, dual sports always have been my favorite type of bike. Started out when I got a Suzuki TS 185 to go along with my road bike at the time and found out the dual sport was just more fun for my purposes. Had a V-Strom, Honda Transalp, Husky 610, DR, and a few others. Since 2005 been riding a 2000 Kawasaki KLR 650. Have a bunch of suspension mods and some lighting improvements I did, and now I just change oil and lube the chain from time to time. Great bikes, but many good choices. I would really look for a used rather than new bike. Learn to wrench it yourself as much as possible.

If you can go to a rally like Nofear is talking about you will find a ton of helpful people.
    capt greg and M700 like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I tour a LOT. Been to every state in the US, Nova Scotia and Alaska. All but one Prov in Canada. My go to bike is a 2003 BMW G S Dakar. I bought it with 1000 miles on it from Ingles in KC. It now has 53k. I have done nothing but change the oil and tires. The Robust Rotex motor will do anything you want it to. The older 650s are the better ones with the motors being made by Aprilla. I have 8 bikes from Hondas, Kaw KLX 650, KTM 640 Adv, a big BMW 1100s etc. The Dakar would be the last to go hands down!!

Hayden.
    M700, capt greg and whiskers like this.
    Rossi & Henry Team Captian.

Wrangler
    Member #
    A lot of good things about the Suzuki Dr650. Less complex than the klr, a bit more dirt oriented, solid motor, a bit less expensive, lots of aftermarket parts. I think it's better looking too!
    capt greg, M700 and whiskers like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links