Kel-Tec CMR30? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Kel-Tec CMR30?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriffin1988 View Post
    Comes with a Glock magazine well adapter. Do they still make 30-round Glock mags? I honestly don’t know.
    They are 33 round mags and yes multiple companies still make them.
    jgriffin1988 and gunscrewguy like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    For several years I too was a pretty big KT fan. I had 5 or 6 different KT handguns (now down to just a P32 my wife claims), but only 1 "long gun". I had a slightly used Sub 2000 (9mm with Beretta grip) that was just downright outstanding for a pcc. One of my best fishing/shooting buddies had a Camp 9 that got a little ballsie and challenged me at the range thinking he'd shut down my affection for the KT S2K. Ha! He lost that bet in a big way. I think he traded that Camp 9 the next week.

There's no doubt that the KT products are just a little on the "rough side", but George Kelgren (Mr. Kel Tec) is really one hell of a designer. Unfortunately, maybe not so great at protecting his product designs. Since I'm also a Ruger fan, I won't dredge up the issue of the Little Copy Pistol (Ruger LCP).

Actually, I have no real practical need for a 9mm ammo blaster, but the KT S2K would be my choice. A few years after trading the S2K, I got the itch again and bought a Beretta Storm. Very well made and about twice the cost of the S2K. Bummer .... my old S2K was much more accurate than the Beretta - even with the cheesy pink mylar front sight blade.

jd
    Guns - They aren't really yours until you void the warranty!!

Team 30-30 #939
    Team Rossi #5
    Team Wheelguns #44

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I purchased a SUB2000 and a CMR-30. Here's my observations:

SUB2000 G17 9mm: I had high hopes. Unfortunately, even with a butt and recoil tube pads, it still beat me up. I'm a tall guy, so I had the stock fully extended. However the latch stays in the same position, so the butt pad and full extension caused the latch to smack me in the cheek -- finally had to stick my glove next to the latch. Not zesty. So why didn't I take off the butt pad? This rifle recoils hard -- harder felt recoil than my AKs. And don't get me started on the trigger: Long pull and heavy at 8 lbs. I put 75 rounds downrange without a hiccup via the Kel-Tec supplied and Glock mags. It was accurate and reliable, so that was a plus. But not nearly a enough of a plus, to offset the really bad ergonomics. The rifle was sold several days after I took it to the range last week.

CMR-30: Wow, this rifle is light. The trigger is smooth, light, and breaks cleanly. And it's super accurate -- it was shooting better groups that either of my Marlin 60s. My scope 40mm mounted up easily and the stock positioned my eye naturally. The reliability department left me lacking: Out of 150 rounds of Federal and Armscor ammo we put downrange, we had about a dozen failure-to-feeds. I hear these rifles need to be broken in, so I cleaned and lubed it and am hoping for better results next time out. Ergonomically, the only thing I might want is a bigger larger butt pad, as the stock on is solid plastic as well as a little small. But the rifle is 100% usable just the way it came.

Larry
    Last edited by LESchwartz; 03-08-2020 at 11:06 AM.
    bryan alder and gunscrewguy like this.
    Team 60 #526
    Team .45/70 #1665
    Team .22 Magnum #Pending
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #185

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LESchwartz View Post
    Ergonomically, the only thing I might want is a bigger larger butt pad, as the stock on is solid plastic as well as a little small.
    I picked up a "low cost" butt pad originally for the Magpul MOE stock. I put a small piece of rubber in the bottom tip and slid it on. Not the prettiest, but much more comfortable now!

Larry

PS: Here's a link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

gunscrewguy likes this.
    Team 60 #526
    Team .45/70 #1665
    Team .22 Magnum #Pending

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jgriffin1988 View Post
    Comes with a Glock magazine well adapter. Do they still make 30-round Glock mags? I honestly don’t know.
    https://www.glockstore.com/Glock-Fac...Stick-Magazine

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I have a PMR 30 pistol, but haven't decided on the CMR.

It does hang up here and there, depending on the brand of .22WMR ammo I use.

Again, I think it's also a matter of breaking it in.

Pretty accurate, and light to hold with a full mag.

Gr8rtst.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    USAF 1973-77 - Served proudly & Honorably
    NRA Life/Endowment Member - American Legion member
    "A knight in tarnished armor " - born in the USA . . . so, I guess that makes me a 'native American'.

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Sub2000 works for me. Except no way to add a red dot and still fold.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mastercrasher View Post
    Sub2000 works for me. Except no way to add a red dot and still fold.
    MCarbo makes a flip up red dot mount. Can't say one way or the other how it "returns to zero" after flipping. At $150 for the mount and another $150 for their trigger kit, it's too pricey for a $350 rifle.

Larry

KEL-TEC-SUB-2000-Optic-Mount.jpg
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    Team 60 #526
    Team .45/70 #1665
    Team .22 Magnum #Pending

Contributing Member
    Member #
    "pistol caliber carbine"

Define what it means to you as it leaves a lot to our imagination. You referring to .45acp/9mm/.38 cal, .32 cal, 30 cal w/ 16"bbl ? There's 5.56 mm "pistols" with 10 to 15" bbls. . A 15" bbl. would be as/about as good as a 16" bbl but are then considered "pistols"

CMMG has the market covered on pistol cal carbines...but they ain't "inexpensive" either.

Hmmm...maybe build your own to your preferences?
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

God, Guns, and Guts Made America Free.

At Any Cost Keep All Three !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links