6.5 Grendel
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: 6.5 Grendel

Contributing Member
    Member #

6.5 Grendel

I wasn't looking for it but...it was priced right. Problem was, I didn't know anything about the 6.5 Grendel. So, I did some reading and determined the Grendel would fit perfectly between my AR 10 and my AR 15s in 5.56.

This rifle has an Alexander lower with what I believe to be a Bear Creek side charge upper sporting a heavy profile, fluted, stainless steel 20 inch barrel with flash hider. At least that's what it looks like to me. I'm not up to speed on the Stoner platforms. My focus has always been old Marlins, Winchesters, Remingtons and Savages. Nonetheless, I think this new toy will do nicely on whitetail, coyotes and hogs.

For anyone here that may be new to the 6.5 Grendel, here is a link to an informative article from Shooting Times on the subject. http://www.alexanderarms.com/images/articles/shooting-times-d-fortier-article.pdf - T.S.

NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan, Team 99 #29

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    They are very accurate ---not sure how long your barrel is but I have one with 24in barrel (Saturn Barrel) and it shoots sub MOA. Mags are specific to 6.5 for the AR. If you want more punch 6.8 SPC is the way to go.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    You're gonna like the 6.5 Grendel, It shoots like a laser beam. fast, flat and far. We ring steel confidently at 800yd. in my circle of friends.
    They practically have zero recoil. If you don't want, or need it, there's no real reason for a brake on that caliber. its something like 4lbs of felt recoil.
    Anyhow, sweet rig! enjoy.
    Team 60 #186
    Team 30-30 #987
    Team Semi-Auto #34
    Team 45/70 #1801
    Team Wheel Guns #100

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by flatsneck View Post
    You're gonna like the 6.5 Grendel, It shoots like a laser beam. fast, flat and far. We ring steel confidently at 800yd. in my circle of friends.
    They practically have zero recoil. If you don't want, or need it, there's no real reason for a brake on that caliber. its something like 4lbs of felt recoil.
    Anyhow, sweet rig! enjoy.
    That's a muzzle brake? Well shows how much I know. I thought it was a flash hider. Either way, I'm thinking about removing it so I can attach my suppressor.

T.S.
    Last edited by Texas Shooter; 01-23-2020 at 06:14 AM.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan, Team 99 #29

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy23* View Post
    They are very accurate ---not sure how long your barrel is but I have one with 24in barrel (Saturn Barrel) and it shoots sub MOA. Mags are specific to 6.5 for the AR. If you want more punch 6.8 SPC is the way to go.
    The barrel on mine is 20 inches. The energy produced by the 6.5 exceeds that of the 6.8 at muzzle and continues to widen the margin downrange. In velocity, the 6.5 overtakes the 6.8 after 100 yds. and continues to increase that advantage. Regarding trajectory, at 100 yds. the 6.8 drops nearly twice as much as the 6.5 and continues to nearly double the drop of the 6.5 downrange. The 6.5 delivers more punch and flatter trajectory than the 6.8. take a look at the chart in the article I linked in my first post.

T.S.
    Ranger357v and Vooch like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Well Ill be joining you here soon. Im about 12 weeks in on my wait for mine from Percision Firearms. 20" Bartlin, Billit Upper, Side Charger, Seekins Rail. Match Chamber, Match Bolt and BCG. They were saying 16 weeks at least. Elander Mags are loaded up so the springs take a set. Ill shoot it a bit and then maybe try some of PFs Match ammo they sell. This is gonna be a Coyote Rig to replace my 556.

Im very interested to see if the BCA barrel will shoot for you. It can be hit or miss with BCA.

Hayden.
    Texas Shooter likes this.
    Rossi & Henry Team Captian.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Congrats Russell, looks like your fixing to have some shooting fun with that 6.5 Grendel.

I'm nearly done researching my 6.5 Grendel build on my AP lower and so far:
    https://www.grendelhunter.com/produc...#configuration -- leaning heavily towards this upper. Grendel Hunter comes more complete than others, 18″ Fluted Stainless Barrel with Titanium Cerakote – Satern/Liberty and bolt is head spaced to barrel and they're extremely accurate. Built on an AP upper matching my AP lower, and with options came to $628.95

Figure roughly $300 to build out the lower with MPC Velocity trigger.

The Grendel Hunter upper rated in top 5 uppers by Pew Pew Tactical: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-6-5-grendel-uppers/

I will not build this featureless, full tactical and go with a Juggernaut system that can be removed when we depart commie CA.

Looking forward to your range report and hopefully reporting some down range accuracy.

Jack

Ret_Eng and Texas Shooter like this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I considered the Grendel but after reading/watching some online firearms articles and vids made by real world proficient hunters (not gunrag writers)--I decided the Grendel wasn't for me. Quite a few hunters have lost game due to the 123 gr bullets currently out on the market and the 6.5 Grendel case powder capacity. I decided to go the 6.5 Creedmoor/AR-10 route instead for my hunting pursuits. Now for taking down 2 legged bad guys---that Grendel should work very well!
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 01-23-2020 at 06:08 AM.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I've got a Remington R25 (AR 10) in 308 - bought it before Obunghole took office. I've killed a fair number of deer and hogs with it. It is crazy accurate but heavy. I think some of the AR 10s being built these days are quite a bit lighter. I have two Steyr bolt action rifles in 6.5 X 308 (AKA 260 Remington). They are comparable to the Creedmoor and absolute laser accurate and flat shooting delivering hard hits. I can take quartering shots successfully with the 260 Rems. With the Grendel, I had best stick with broadside shots and head/neck shots. Time will tell. In March I plan to start hunting hogs in earnest. That should be a good test for the Grendel.

T.S.
    Ret_Eng, hammertime and JACKTW like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Shooter View Post
    I've got a Remington R25 (AR 10) in 308 - bought it before Obunghole took office. I've killed a fair number of deer and hogs with it. It is crazy accurate but heavy. I think some of the AR 10s being built these days are quite a bit lighter. I have two Steyr bolt action rifles in 6.5 X 308 (AKA 260 Remington). They are comparable to the Creedmoor and absolute laser accurate and flat shooting delivering hard hits. I can take quartering shots successfully with the 260 Rems. With the Grendel, I had best stick with broadside shots and head/neck shots. Time will tell. In March I plan to start hunting hogs in earnest. That should be a good test for the Grendel.

T.S.
    That 260 Rem is no joke! That round should have taken off in the marketplace--I guess it was ahead of its time when initially introduced some 20+ years ago. Everyone wanted a 308 Win back then and didn't give it a chance. My DPMS LR-308 is heavy as well but its a tack driver and will give my bolt gun 308s a run for their money. I did lighten it up a bit with a DPMS free floated composite forearm.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links