6.5 Grendel - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: 6.5 Grendel

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyHayden View Post
    Well Ill be joining you here soon. Im about 12 weeks in on my wait for mine from Percision Firearms. 20" Bartlin, Billit Upper, Side Charger, Seekins Rail. Match Chamber, Match Bolt and BCG. They were saying 16 weeks at least. Elander Mags are loaded up so the springs take a set. Ill shoot it a bit and then maybe try some of PFs Match ammo they sell. This is gonna be a Coyote Rig to replace my 556.

Im very interested to see if the BCA barrel will shoot for you. It can be hit or miss with BCA.
    Hayden.
    QFT. I had to drill out the gas port on a 450 Bushmaster from them. The rifle wouldn't cycle far enough to strip the next round from the magazine or lock the bolt back after the last round. Once I corrected the gas port it has functioned 100% and is very accurate.
    Texas Shooter likes this.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.....

Team 45-70 member #1953
    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret_Eng View Post
    That 260 Rem is no joke! That round should have taken off in the marketplace--I guess it was ahead of its time when initially introduced some 20+ years ago. Everyone wanted a 308 Win back then and didn't give it a chance. My DPMS LR-308 is heavy as well but its a tack driver and will give my bolt gun 308s a run for their money. I did lighten it up a bit with a DPMS free floated composite forearm.
    Boddington was one of the first gun writers to review the 260 Rem. He did so in the context of his daughter using it on an African plains game hunt. Boddington's assessment was lackluster/lukewarm. About a year ago, Craig wrote an article comparing the 6.5s including the Creedmoor, 260 Rem and 264 WinMag (one of his favorites). In that article, Boddington acknowledges that he wrongly gave the 260 Rem. the short shrift in the past.

T.S.
    Ret_Eng, northmn and JACKTW like this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan, Team 99 #29

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Shooter View Post

Boddington acknowledges that he wrongly gave the 260 Rem. the short shrift in the past.

T.S.
    Jim Carmichael played a big role in getting that cartridge into production.
    Carmichael > Boddington

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Ret_Eng and Texas Shooter like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    The velocity and energy advantages of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Remington over the 6.5 Grendel are significant. But, come on, the AR10 platform is larger and much heavier than the AR15 platform. AR10s weigh on the order of 10 pounds (+/-). AR15s weigh on the order of 7 pounds (+/-). It's a matter of apples and oranges.

I shoot .300 H&H in a couple of rifles and they are far from being featherweights. But, I must accept those rifles for what they are, rifles designed to shoot the long, heavy recoiling magnum cartridge. You can't get a short light rifle in 300 H&H. That's not true for the .308, 6.5 Creedmoor, and related cartridges. There are plenty of short light rifles available in those calibers -- none of them are ARs.

When I carry, handle, and shoot an AR I want something light and handy. To me those are some of the best qualities of ARs. I owned a couple of AR10s and sold them off because they were too heavy for my liking. I am not a fan of AR10 rifles. I prefer the AR15 platform.

That brings us to the 6.5 Grendel. It is a great cartridge for the AR15 platform, one of the best. I admit to being a (gasp!) 6.8 SPC shooter. For me the choice between 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC was a difficult one. But I was able to see the main differences between the two cartridges. The 6.8 SPC has the ballistic advantage in a short barreled rifle and when shooting within 200 yards. The 6.5 Grendel has the ballistic advantage beyond 200 yards, especially when given a 20" or longer barrel. I carry and shoot in the woods, often in thick, dark woods. I typically shoot deer within 100 yards. So for me a shorter, lighter rifle hitting harder at close range is the obvious choice, i.e. 6.8 SPC. If I frequented and hunted in more open terrain, Texas for example like the OP, then I would have chosen the 6.5 Grendel.

Congrats on your new rifle, Texas Shooter. I see hogs are on your list. Be sure to post some pictures when you get some.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    The velocity and energy advantages of the 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 Remington over the 6.5 Grendel are significant. But, come on, the AR10 platform is larger and much heavier than the AR15 platform. AR10s weigh on the order of 10 pounds (+/-). AR15s weigh on the order of 7 pounds (+/-). It's a matter of apples and oranges.
    We will have to agree to disagree. Compared to what I was packing as a M-60 gunner back in my Army days--I can definitely handle an AR-10.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I have rifles chambered in 458 WinMag and 458 Lott. They both weigh over 11 lbs and I am glad they do, to mitigate recoil. It is a matter of cartridge selected. I would not choose to carry an eleven pound rifle chambered in a relatively low recoil round.

T.S.
    Ret_Eng and JACKTW like this.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan, Team 99 #29

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret_Eng View Post
    We will have to agree to disagree. Compared to what I was packing as a M-60 gunner back in my Army days--I can definitely handle an AR-10.
    I've "packed" an M60 too (even carried a 1919A6 for a couple of months) but it had a belt of ammo and would fire more rounds in a minute than any AR10 can digest without turning bright red. That's just another apples to oranges comparison. Surely, you don't suggest we carry a semi-auto version of the M60 around as our hunting rifle. If you do, then more power to you and good luck.

Sometimes a long, heavy barreled, heavy rifle is a good choice. I have that in .264 Win Mag, .411 caliber, and also in this .300 H&H rifle:

300HH-right-side_zpsog18d4sx.jpg

But carrying that around all day in the woods, up and down hills, for a 200 yards shot at deer size game is counter-intuitive if I have an alternative like an accurate AR15 in 6.5 or 6.8 caliber.

As to an AR10, if I'm going to carry something that heavy, and I don't need to shoot magazines full of ammo, then it might as well be something like the rifle above - more power, more accuracy, and about the same weight. Or, for 6.5 Creedmoor, I'd prefer a nice 7-8 pound bolt rifle. But those are my choices. If someone wants to carry the same in a heavy AR10 then that's their choice.

Or. perhaps we should pooh-pooh the AR10 entirely and say that at about the same weight we should stick with a Noreen Bad news in .30-06 or 7mm Mag:

BTB_BN36__97097.1548873150.jpg

My whole point was that advantages and disadvantages of the AR10 and AR15, and the cartridges they shoot, are very different and simply saying someone is better off with an AR10 in .6.5 Creedmoor than they are with an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel misses it entirely, especially after they used similarities and differences between AR10s and AR15s to decide.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    My whole point was that advantages and disadvantages of the AR10 and AR15, and the cartridges they shoot, are very different and simply saying someone is better off with an AR10 in .6.5 Creedmoor than they are with an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel misses it entirely, especially after they used similarities and differences between AR10s and AR15s to decide.
    I don't think I missed anything if you read my original posting. But again--we will have to agree to disagree on the whole matter. That is fine with me..............
    Texas Shooter and JACKTW like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Wow!!!!! I've never heard of the Noreen!!!! Man, that thing is Bad News!!! For just a little over six grand, I could be the only kid on the block.

Probably pay for itself charging guys at the range ten bucks to shoot it.

Thanks Grenadier!

T.S.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I have a 6.5 Grendel. I think I use 130 grain Scirroco's from Alexander Arms. Lots of fun to shoot.
    Texas Shooter likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links