Just Bought a Modern Sporting Rifle
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree163Likes

Thread: Just Bought a Modern Sporting Rifle

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #

Just Bought a Modern Sporting Rifle

With all the talk going around about "Assault" rifles, I just couldn't take it anymore. I always swore I wouldn't have another "Black" rifle. Made my living with one for years and was just burned out. So I went to levers and WWI and WWII rifles.

Well, like I said, I just couldn't take all the anti gun and "Assault" rifle rhetoric any more. I was perusing Midway and saw a deal on a S&W MP 10 in 308 Win ($940 Shipped). So I dropped the dime. First time I've ever purchased on line but it was fairly easy. It'll of course be shipped to my FFL and I'll pick it up on 20 Sept when I get back in town.

While I was at it I ordered an ATC Gold Trigger (3 lb), an ATN X- Sight 4K Day/Night scope, an ATN ThOR LT Thermal Rifle Scope, a Vortex Optics Venom Red Dot sight and a few other goodies.

I can only post the catalog picture for now, but once I get home to Florida and have a chance, I'll post the tricked out rifle and a range report.

Anyway, here's the internet picture:

49132-DEFAULT-l.jpg
    I'm thinking I'll use it as a work gun on my property in the wilds of Taylor County, Florida. Should go well with my S&W revolvers!
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Good grief! ......you've gone to the dark side.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JMAG54 View Post
    Good grief! ......you've gone to the dark side.
    I know it! I swore I never would, but figured now may be the time to consider a Modern Sporting Rifle. I didn't want an "automatic" Assault Rifle so I settled on this one in 308 with a 16" barrel.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Darth when you went, you went all the way. After you get it I will call you Mr. Vader though.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I've never bought a AR-Ak type rifle and never wanted one. They just didn't appeal to me. I had considerable experience with them some 50yrs ago myself. In last couple years I have kinda wanted one but only the old style like we had in service. I'm not interested in guns made up from parts. I was looking for a original Colt AR-15. It seems Colt produced just such a rifle. Due to Colts outstanding business plan they figured on soaking us dumb old VVs about $2300 for one. Futher looking into it I found that Colt was having them made out of house. My interest in them dropped altogether.

I'm going to be watching close to used gun market. I think due to politics some AR owners are scared they are going to get stuck with an AR that will have to be turned in at a loss to them. I think this will happen ahead of people panic buying them ahead of any laws that might prohibit sales. The big panic on them was the most new guns of same model that I ever sold. There were people who never owned a gun buying them just because they thought they would be banned from future sales.

Buying ARs used is iffy if you don't know what you are doing. It doesn't take very many 30rd mags run through fast as you can pull the trigger before you don't have a rifle anymore. Just a machine to put off 5.56 ammo. The good news is a lot of these guns have never been fired that were bought by these type people. When the panic starts the people who bought them a $1500-2000 under Ombama might get their money back.

I just wanted one for sentimental reasons and can do without. If SHF I got plenty of other stuff that will hole a pelt, maybe I'll get a "battlefield" pick up, cause I ain't paying $2K+ for one.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Gasp!!!

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Yeah Drm, Remember see'n those 'original's at the shot show few years back, got real excited. Waiting list, price, then I thought why? ..................I'm cooled now.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Friend of mine bought a Windham,said it was as close to what he carried in the Marines as he could find

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    The only thing Im sorry about was selling most of the stuff I got home. I managed to send a lot of stuff home. At the time people were willing to pay crazy money for RVn stuff. I thought they were nuts and took their money. I watched Civil War stuff go off the charts in 80s for things like powder barrels and random photos. That seemed funny to me but last 25 yrs is worse. WW1 stuff in demand and people are out house crazy on WW2 stuff. The CMP selling 1911s for $1K totally blows my mind. I don't blame them for getting what they can get, only question the people who are willing to shell out $1K for one.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Atta boy !
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

In Dixie Land I'll Take My Stand , To Live And Die in Dixie

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links