AR 15 Barrel and Rail Install Questions - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: AR 15 Barrel and Rail Install Questions

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    I run the ALG rails on several of my guns. Some have a small gap and that is not an issue. I’ve never had on off by much when using the shim packs. Be careful not to strip out the mounting screws as it’s very easy to do if they Ste out of alignment. I’ve started to chase them with a tap just to clean up the flash.
    The rail screw holes in the bbl nut are a "close thread", and has less clearances than ordinary threaded holes.... And I haven't seen close threads in yeeeears on anything mechancal. I thought it'd become a lost art. LOL. I am thrilled to see they were used! No movement at all.

I wiggled the rail to where all screws started easily, and then once they all were started, threaded each in a few threads at a time and go to the next. Until all were snug, and then snugged them a tad more. I just hope the screw's coating/finish does not begin to rust after a few heat/cool cycles.
    drinva likes this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

"Straight Outta Dixieland"

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlinManCB45/70 View Post
    The rail screw holes in the bbl nut are a "close thread", and has less clearances than ordinary threaded holes.... And I haven't seen close threads in yeeeears on anything mechancal. I thought it'd become a lost art. LOL. I am thrilled to see they were used! No movement at all.

I wiggled the rail to where all screws started easily, and then once they all were started, threaded each in a few threads at a time and go to the next. Until all were snug, and then snugged them a tad more. I just hope the screw's coating/finish does not begin to rust after a few heat/cool cycles.
    They should not rust. If they do, pull them and take a torch and hot blue them. Very easy to do. Larry Potterfield (Midway USA) has a great video on it.

DR
    Team 60 #324, Team .22 Magnum #114, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102, Team Wheelguns #54, Team 700 #5, Team Semi-Auto #41, Team Henry #106

"Dying ain't so hard for men like you and me, it's the living that's hard" Ten Bears

Deadeye
    Member #
    0051CF6F-D57C-40CF-A7D3-9633BCA2C31E.jpegThe screws may rust a touch, mine did after going in and out several times. I put high temp grill paint on a tiny brush to touch up. If your rail makes a ting noise, you can add a few of the rubber key mod rail covers and it will deaden this. The solid rails I wrap with camo hoof wrap from TSC. The Mlok rails I add 3 magpul type 1 for grip and sound deadening. I haven’t put all my screws back in since switching rails around.
    MarlinManCB45/70 and drinva like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    0051CF6F-D57C-40CF-A7D3-9633BCA2C31E.jpegThe screws may rust a touch, mine did after going in and out several times. I put high temp grill paint on a tiny brush to touch up. If your rail makes a ting noise, you can add a few of the rubber key mod rail covers and it will deaden this. The solid rails I wrap with camo hoof wrap from TSC. The Mlok rails I add 3 magpul type 1 for grip and sound deadening. I haven’t put all my screws back in since switching rails around.
    I purchased a few of them thar "slot fillers" too..... Magpul M-Lok Rail Cover Type 1 in Black, and Type 2 in FDE, OD, BLK, & Grey so I can stagger them into a camo pattern/change colors at will.

But I haven't put 'em on yet as I'm playing with the mtg. location of the Magpul M-Lok AFG and Magpul AFG-2 (picatinny rail mounted". Also have a Knight's Armament "KA Forward Pistol Grip", because I got it on sale at Brownells a while back & price was so cheap I couldn't turn it down. Not sure if I'll like as I haven't installed it yet either. I figure the "redundant" items I don't use now, will work on another AR later , as I want a AR (LR?) in .308 WIN too later on..

I finally got time to assemble the rifle tonight. LPGB is mounted as is gas tube and slid rail back on tightened the 6 screws. Gap is a tight 21 thousandths of an inch now.... I lost a thou. LOL. OLIGHT light is on, AGF-1 is on for now. I'll fire it tomorrow some and see what works best for me....
    Last edited by MarlinManCB45/70; 06-14-2019 at 04:50 AM.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

"Straight Outta Dixieland"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links