• 1 Post By mikom
  • 3 Post By Boobarzo
  • 2 Post By YelloKW
  • 2 Post By Boobarzo

Thread: Inexpensive 6.5 Grendel upper

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Inexpensive 6.5 Grendel upper

I’ve been shooting AR15 platforms for a while.Have had three calibers of uppers, .223, 300 Blackout and 224 Valkyrie.Recently,I’ve decided to get my first 6.5 Grendel upper.
    Now,I have come to realize that although there are some differences in quality,most AR15 parts are about the same.What I mean is,it does not make a whole lot of difference.Especially since all parts interchange.
    I have Alexander arms,Daniel Defence and Colts.The lower priced Anderson’s,Palmetto State Armory And Bear Creek Arsenal I have do as well.Just have to work with them a bit sometimes.
    That being said,Instead of spending 2 grand on an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel ,I decided to go with a Bear Creek Arsenal 6.5 Grendel 24” upper for $254 delivered W/coupon code.
    The way I saw it ,was that I could easily change out the barrel w/a Criterion down the road if it didn’t shoot accurate enough.Same with the BCM,If it wears out quickly.
    Anyway,I got the 6.5 Grendel BCA 24” complete upper with standard bolt and 15” mlok handrail.Looks great!Like it should cost much more than I paid.
    Put it on a PSA Lower I had.Magpul MOE stocks and a CMC 3.5lb trigger.Mounted a Nikon black x1000 4-16x50 scope on it.Bore sighted and off to the range.
    I purchased 100 new Hornady brass and 123gn Sierra .264 MK bullets.I used H335 and ARComp powders.Loaded 50 of each in various loads.
    Pretty much shot MOA from the start.Few flyers here and there.Groups tighter up after the first 25rds or so.Best 5 shot group @100 yrds was .75”.With 29.5 guns of H335 powder.
    Very happy with the upper.With a little more range time and reloading,groups will tighten up,become more consistent and I will be able to compete with my buddy’s expensive Alexander Arms build.
    The more I experiment with the less expensive brands,the more I realize that I don't need to spend $thousands to have an accurate shooting AR.
    Now,I’m not saying I won’t build a high dollar 6.5 Grendel w/Krieger match barrel down the road when I really get into this caliber.But,for today,I’m satisfied.
    turbobug, mikom, capt greg and 4 others like this.
    "Welcome to my home, the locked door you just kicked in was for your protection, not mine!"

Wrangler
    Member #
    BOOBARZO,I have to admit my AR 15 is my favorite to shoot. I have a Diamondback DB 15 that stays with expensive AR platforms.We have our own range on a friends property and everyone loves putting a few rounds thru it. The key word being few! I've learned to leave the big mags at home,just the 5 round mags are in the range bag and load one at a time.I don't reload .223 yet.
    Boobarzo likes this.
    Team 30 30 #1434
    1953 336 SC
    1953 336 RC
    Team .35 Rem #785
    1983 336CS

Deadeye
    Member #
    I have a Bear Creek Arsenal 6.5 Grendel 20" barrel upper on a Lewis Machine Tools lower. I have been very happy with the performance. I have 5.56, 300 Blackout and the 6.5 Grendel. The 6.5 is my favorite of the 3 by far.
    mikom and Boobarzo like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Dang that’s a great price for a Grendel upper. I like that round alot.. yotes hate it!
    However complicated the issues become... it comes down to one simple question. Which is more important to you Life or Liberty? I've made my decision long ago.

"Is life so sweet or peace so dear; as to be paid for at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me Liberty or give me Death." Patrick Henry

Deadeye
    Member #
    Boobarzo, you definitely have it right. I recently built an AR in 300ham'r just because I had a bug to have something different. $250 for the barrel, $150 for the trigger and scrounged the rest from my son's and my shops. Shoots as well as the reviews of Wilson's guns but it cost me about $3500 less. I would still like to have one of Bill's guns but $3500 can buy a lot of ammo.
    mikom and pacificpt like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Boobarzo and others,after reading the past hour about the 6.5 Grendel ballistics, I'm actively searching uppers. Kill a lot of birds with one stone and keep the .223/5.56 rounds for plinking and the yotes! Only take my lever gun out when the weather is warm and sunny!
    Boobarzo likes this.
    Team 30 30 #1434
    1953 336 SC
    1953 336 RC
    Team .35 Rem #785
    1983 336CS

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Been shooting twice more with my Grendel upper.Friday afternoon and this morning.Now That I have 200 rds through this barrel.
    I had shot 1 complete box (100rds)of Sierra MK 123gn w/H335 and ARcomp powder I hand loaded.Last night after I got home from the range,I hand loaded another 100 rds w/H335 ,for this morning.
    Weather conditions were great.80’s,sunny and no wind.This accuracy of this barrel blows my mind.I was shooting shots that actually touched at 200 yrds!Groups were all at least MOA.
    Like I had said,I got this upper with intentions to slap in a $315 Criterion soon.But,as it continues to sweeten up and shoot well,I may just keep it as is and just build a higher end upper when I am ready.
    In case anyone wants to order the same one,it’s the upper w/the 24” SS Fluted barrel.You can punch in code 704tactical for 5% off and free shipping.This upper actually cost me just $226 delivered. $254 would have been without discount code.
    mikom, YelloKW and flatsneck like this.
    "Welcome to my home, the locked door you just kicked in was for your protection, not mine!"

Wrangler
    Member #
    Glad to hear your results with the BCA barrel. My son gave me a Bear Creek 6.5 creedmore 22" barrel for christmas. I just ordered a new upper from PSA yesterday to put it on. I'll mount the upper on my dpms lower and give it a try. If it shoots well, I'll spend a few more bucks and get a new PSA lower for it too.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by YelloKW View Post
    Glad to hear your results with the BCA barrel. My son gave me a Bear Creek 6.5 creedmore 22" barrel for christmas. I just ordered a new upper from PSA yesterday to put it on. I'll mount the upper on my dpms lower and give it a try. If it shoots well, I'll spend a few more bucks and get a new PSA lower for it too.
    The BCA And PSA barrels are hit or miss.But,they will exchange them if you are unsatisfied.I go into it with the mindset that I can always just change out the barrel with a $300-$400 match grade in the future.
    As far as PSA lowers.They are excellent.I purchased several PSA MOE EPT complete lowers.Come w/Magpul stocks.Trigger is enhanced,polished & coated w/slick nickel.Just $149 before $30 transfer.
    All I do is add a JP reduced power spring kit for $11 and I have a 3.5-4lb smooth trigger.Saves me the money of having to drop $100’s on a Geisslee or Timney.
    YelloKW and CactusJack like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links