.223 Wilde ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: .223 Wilde ?

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

.223 Wilde ?

I just purchased a lower and am going to go the .223 Wylde route on the rest of the build. My plans are either a 18'' or 20'' barrel. I will mostly be shooting 55 to 62 grain bullets. I have been looking at possible twist rates of 1-9 or 1-8. There is a lot of different opinions out there. 1-8 seems like the route to go. However some people are getting better accuracy out of a 1-9. I will be shooting 99 % FMJ ammo. Anyone here experimented or have any insights?
    turbobug likes this.
    Not responsible for what people think, just what I am.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I've had five 223 Rems and one 5.56 all with 1:9 twist rates. All shot 40 grainers up through 69 grainers the same and quite well. I currently have one Savage in 223 Rem with a 1:9 twist 26" barrel. This gun will shoot any weight bullet under a half inch at 100 yards all day long. I have yet to see a 40 grain .224 bullet get over stabilized.
    drinva and electricmo like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    223 Wylde, usually with a 1:8 or 1:7 twist, performs best with 69gr, 75gr and 77gr OTM (HPBT) ammo. You can certainly shoot 55gr and 62gr out of a fast twist barrel, but you probably will not get super accuracy for a couple of reasons. First, if you are shooting green tips, forget about sub MOA groups, just ain't going to happen. Second, the 55s and 62s just don't have a good ballistic coefficient.

For 55 and 62gr, you will be better off with a 1:9. That should have been the twist rate for the M-16, 'cuz it would have stabilized both 55gr and 62gr. But carbines and SBRs came along and the need to stabilize heavy bullets out of short barrels arose so the 1:7 became the standard. You certainly don't need 1:7 to stabilize 62gr bullets. I don't know why some folks insist that there is no difference between a 1:9 and a 1:7 twist with the lighter pills. If there was no difference, all barrels would be 1:7 and to heck with what the professional match shooters say. Some say there is no such thing as over stabilization. That may be true but 1:9 stabilizes 55s much better than 1:7 and somewhat better than 1:8..

The varmint hunters usually go with a 1:12 or 1:11 barrel on a bolt action and shoot 40gr up to 55gr. They are shooting super hot barrel burner loads.For instance, Hornady V-Max 40gr flies at 3800fps muzzle velocity. The ammo ain't cheap, and it burns throats, but it makes p'dogs explode.

Based on my experience and research, an 18" bbl with a 1:8 twist covers a wide range of bullet weights but shoots the heavier bullets far better. My SPR has a mid length gas system, and it works just fine, but I'd have been better off with a rifle length gas system for better timing. I just didn't want a honking long free float tube. The main issue with my rifle is not even an issue. I just don't like that it ejects the brass between one and two o'clock.

If you will be shooting open sights, then go with the 20"bbl. You will get a longer sight radius.

Lastly, precision is a practical matter. If you are shooting bench rest or varmints at distance, then you want as much accuracy as you can get. But let's be real. Considering where we are (A Marlin owner's forum) most can appreciate that you don't need a sub moa rifle to get the job done, that is of course dependent on the job to be done. Any 30-30 that shoots better than 3moa will bring home the venison. Take a moment to consider what your rifles purpose in life will be. Match the right ammo to the best barrel you can afford, and build the rest around that.
    electricmo and graymustang like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    electricmo,

I have a variety, lengths and twist rates. It really depends on that you're wanting to do. For me, the most accurate shooter with 55gr Hornady Spire Point lead tip round nose is my 1:9 twist 18" stainless barrel. However, ALL of them shoot VERY WELL from 1:7 up to my 24" 1:10 bull. Honestly I don't own one that I can't plink a grey squirrel at 100 yards pretty easily.

That's really all I need, but if you're a paper target master and want 5 touching rounds at great distance, you'd better not even listen to me.

DR
    Team 60 #324
    Team .22 Magnum #114
    Team Bolt Action Rimfire #102
    Team Wheelguns #54
    Team 700 #5
    Team Semi-Auto #41
    Team Henry #106

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by electricmo View Post
    I just purchased a lower and am going to go the .223 Wylde route on the rest of the build.
    The Wylde chamber was developed to allow a wide range of bullet weights to fit the chamber, and be compatible with .223 and 5.56 ammo. Not all Wylde chambers are equal.

I have several rifles chambered for .223/5.56, most have twist rates of 1:9, but I also have 1:8 and 1:7 tubes on a couple, and really, with bullets between 55gr and 69gr, I haven't seen any big difference in accuracy I could pin on twist rate out to 300yds, the longest range I have access to.

What I have experienced is some Wylde chambers that work great with 68gr and 69gr Match bullets seated to 2.250", may not work at all with other bullets at the same length. Specifically Hornady SP's, (some of my favorites), which must be loaded to 2.200 to chamber in my AR's with a couple barrels, (not all barrels).

So, go with a Wylde, (as they seem generally more available these days). It's in fashion, but unless you plan to use the really long bullets seated out and loaded singly, you won't see any big differences.
    Ojaileveraction likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by electricmo View Post
    I just purchased a lower and am going to go the .223 Wylde route on the rest of the build. My plans are either a 18'' or 20'' barrel. I will mostly be shooting 55 to 62 grain bullets. I have been looking at possible twist rates of 1-9 or 1-8. There is a lot of different opinions out there. 1-8 seems like the route to go. However some people are getting better accuracy out of a 1-9. I will be shooting 99 % FMJ ammo. Anyone here experimented or have any insights?
    electricmo, I have went the Wylde route on mine with a 1-8. It has a 20" barrel and is very accurate. I only plink with ball ammo the main ammo I use is 62 grain lead tips for killing hogs and yotes. Works good too.
    electricmo likes this.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Headed to Tulsa next weekend. I will most likely pick up a 20" Wylde upper with a 1/9 twist from what I have researched. Nickel boron bolt with a nice hand guard. I'm going to use this as a target/ coyote machine. Hopefully I'll have some pics soon if successful.
    turbobug and Da Duke like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Well this .223 build continues. I may have caused a issue right out the gate. I had a moment of weakness and purchased a 24 inch barrel. Got a nickel boron coated bolt and full length hand guard. As I stated before this gun will mostly be used at the range so weight and length not a issue. However the carbine length tube may be. Seems I may have to get a heavier buffer and spring for this to operate correctly with the rifle length gas system. Possibly may have to install a rifle length tube and stock. I'm going to shoot this thing first and see what happens. The experiment continues. image.jpeg
    drinva likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Unless you require a short LOP, an A2 tube and rifle length stock would probably work better. I used the ARFX Skeleton on my 18" midi SPR and still had to upgrade to a heavier buffer to slow things down because, as it was, my rifle was slightly over gassed. It can be tricky to tune a custom rifle, you have to take gas system length, gas port diameter, BCG weight, buffer weight and buffer tube length into account.
    electricmo likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    "Moment of weakness", don't think so, for a target/varmint rifle a 24 inch barrel makes alot of sense. Once this gets tuned up you should be very satisfied. My bug out rifle is set up with an accurate 62gr Hornady HP reload matched to a mil surp 62gr SS109 factory load for velocity and POI, and both are carried.
    electricmo likes this.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links