My First Under $400 AR-15, DPMS Oracle AR-15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: My First Under $400 AR-15, DPMS Oracle AR-15

Gunfighter
    Member #

My First Under $400 AR-15, DPMS Oracle AR-15

I got an email from CDNN Sports and it listed their specials that they have going on. What caught my eye was two AR's under $400, one was a hybrid ATI that has a lower that is made of a composite with one very small piece of metal where the buffer tube screws into. They remind me of a Glock pistol. The other AR was a DPMS Oracle that had a rebate going on and the after rebate price was $399.00. CDNN Sports added a quad rail, flip up front and rear sights, and a Magpul 30 round magazine so it wasn't exactly the same configuration I have seen elsewhere with the plastic forearm, no sights, and not sure about if a magazine is included or not but I don't believe so.
    The only AR's I own and have owned in the past have a pony on them. When I was in the service, my rifle was made by Colt and that is all that I had ever bought with the exception of a Bushmaster ACR last year. When I picked it up from the FFL I took it home and installed an Aimpoint Red Dot scope on it and ran a patch down the barrel with some oil on it. I went to the range with four 30 round mags to sight in the scope and shoot some paper. It took me less than 10 rounds to sight the scope in and the rest of the rounds were shooting 3-5 shot groups +/- 1 inch with 55gr Federal factory ammo, except for the last round where I just aimed at the bullseye and pulled the trigger as fast as I could until the mag was empty. I didn't have any issues with the ammo not loading correctly or any FTF's.
    I was impressed at how well this $399 AR did out of the box and how well it performed. It was right up there with the AR's I paid as much as 3-4 times more for. The way the prices are dropping on AR's lately, I maybe should have held out a while longer but seeing an AR for under $400 I just had to bite and see how well these AR's compared to the AR's I paid much more for.
    When I read the reviews on the DPMS Oracle AR, they were mixed, some loved it and some not so much. The AR snobs didn't care for it pointing out all the little things that most of us wouldn't have an issue with anyways. Kinda of like the mechanic that refuses to put any other oil in his vehicle except the oil in his opinion that is the best oil around even though there are millions of cars driving on the road getting over 250,000 miles on them using brands he swears aren't any good.

Anyway, I am happy with my $399 AR and hope to take it out with me to the range again soon.

= #201 MARLIN LEAGUE = #399 TEAM 1894 = #057 TEAM 22 MAGNUM = #1097 TEAM 30-30 = #119 TEAM .32 Special = #587 TEAM 35 = #73 TEAM 375 =
    = #351 TEAM 39 = #663 TEAM 444 = #1372 TEAM 45-70 = #167 TEAM 450 =
    #TEAM MARLIN EXPRESS = #74 TEAM SHOTGUN =
    = NRA LIFETIME MEMBER = GREEN VALLEY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB MEMBER, HOME OF THE BIANCHI CUP CHAMPIONSHIP =

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    That's a sweet deal.
    Congratulations!
    khough and cajun56 like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I would love to hear a range report! I saw a LGS around here offer them for $469 not including the $100 rebate. If I wasn't strapped for cash right now...
    Zingger, cajun56 and khough like this.
    Team Glenfield - #53 - Glenfield 30 35 rem
    Team 30-30 - #931 - 336Y 336SRC
    Team 1894 - #345 - 1894CB 357, 1894CCL 41
    Team 45-70 - #1506 - 1895 LTD III

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I would not own an AR with a composite reciever.
    But,the DPMS Oracle for $399 sounds like a deal.I have an acquaintance who has one.
    Shoots good!He got a Rise 3 1/2 lb trigger,a 1-4 Nikon scope and a magpul front rail.
    He does 2 1/2" groups at 100 yrds with PMC bulk ammo.
    I think that is good for an out of box entry AR.
    DeoVindice, cajun56 and khough like this.
    "Welcome to my home, the locked door you just kicked in was for your protection, not mine!"

Wrangler
    Member #
    i have a composite ar lower and besides a composite hammer failure at 200 rounds its been reliable. its great for a light weight build and ive used a few uppers on it also. I will say there is something nice about a metal lower. The biggest problem with reviews is that some people treat their rifles like they are going deploy with them by your side. I wouldnt take a composite lower into battle but for around the farm and at the shooting range it is 100% capable.
    Last edited by auskip07; 05-31-2017 at 08:12 AM.
    Longbow14 and khough like this.
    Team 60 member #388
    Jan 1945 SA M1
    1952 Marlin 336 in 30/30
    1964 Marlin 336 in 35 Rem
    Marlin 60 circa 1981
    Savage Mark II FV
    Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor
    Ruger Mini 14
    Swiss K-31
    Mosin
    4 built AR's

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Still made in Merica!
    DeoVindice likes this.
    Yesterday I was younger

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by auskip07 View Post
    i have a composite ar lower and besides a composite hammer failure at 200 rounds its been reliable. its great for a light weight build and ive used a few uppers on it also. I will say there is something nice about a metal lower. The biggest problem with reviews is that some people treat their rifles like they are going deploy with them by your side. I wouldnt take a composite lower into battle but for around the farm and at the shooting range it is 100% capable.
    I made my 300 BLK with a composite lower by Frontier Armory. I like it and it's been reliable.
    People said the same thing about Glocks when they came out - look at all the plastic guns now.
    flatsneck likes this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Deadeye
    Member #
    That's a good price! Check out Palmetto State Armory...I believe they have rifle kits for about $340 right now, everything except the stripped lower. The bottom dropped out of the market once DJT took office! There has probably never been a better time to build or buy an AR...I'm ordering the upper and BCG for my second rifle (a precision DMR-type rig) tomorrow, and an optic with my next paycheck.
    Boobarzo likes this.
    Team .30-30 #1293
    Team Glenfield #73
    Team Wheelguns #91
    SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS
    In Loving Memory of Nichole Wescott -- 12/4/1995 - 12/1/2017

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by DeoVindice View Post
    That's a good price! Check out Palmetto State Armory...I believe they have rifle kits for about $340 right now, everything except the stripped lower. The bottom dropped out of the market once DJT took office! There has probably never been a better time to build or buy an AR...I'm ordering the upper and BCG for my second rifle (a precision DMR-type rig) tomorrow, and an optic with my next paycheck.
    If we can believe the economists we should be paying dirt cheap from the tremendous ramp up with Obama. There is a serious market glut.
    The thing that puzzles me is the pieces to build your own haven't dropped a penny. I keep my eyes out and get flyers - figured I'd build a Grendel but you think the price of lowers, uppers, BCGs and such have dropped? Nooooooooo... Aero Precision just sent me a flyer proclaiming with great enthusiasm they had a "June build kits for as low as $549"! Note no BCG, barrel, buffer tube, lower is stripped... some deal for what boils down to special paint.

Includes:

• M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver finished in Burnt Bronze Woodland Cerakote. Upper receiver is assembled and includes the forward assist, dust cover and barrel nut.
    • AR15 Gen 2 Stripped Lower Receiver finished in Burnt Bronze Woodland Cerakote
    • 15" Enhanced Gen 2 KeyMod or M-LOK Handguard finished in Burnt Bronze Woodland Cerakote
    • Billet Trigger Guard in Burnt Bronze Woodland Cerakote
    flatsneck likes this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Deadeye
    Member #
    It's good to hear you got a nice deal and you like the rifle. To really test it out you're going to have to shoot it a little bit more, maybe 5,000-10,000 rounds or so. Go for it and have fun!

I just have a personal aversion to plastic firearms. There is no logical reason for it. I just prefer steel and I accept aluminum. I also like wood on a firearm instead of plastic. Again, I can give no logical explanation for my stand other than "personal preference".

I know there are some well made firearms being manufactured from composite, plastic, polymer, elastomer, nylon, rayon, polyester, PlayDoh, and other manmadium materials. I recognize they are being carried and used by a lot of knowledgeable adults and they like them (go figure). But those things are not for me.

No, I am not looking for steel and aluminum parts to replace the stocks, pistol grips, and handguards on my ARs. Nor do I want to get rid of the rubber pads on the butts of my rifles and shotguns. Sometimes we just have to make allowances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links