Model 1936 in 32 WS - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Model 1936 in 32 WS

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    Better Pictures with sunlight and everything!
    That's very nice indeed. There is considerable evidence of the case coloring on the receiver and lever. The wood is very good with minimal wear. The back sight is original, with it's characteristic 'fish hook' elevator and there is very good bluing to the barrel and tube. Some consider this model, in all three iterations, close to the finest Marlin put out from an aesthetic point of view. The screws are very good as well. The 2nd variation in my view is not as attractive. The lovely comb flute disappeared with the 2nd variation and the wood fore stock was bulked up considerably. Your model is the last one Marlin made with a flat hammer spring. After that they went to a coil and the area behind the hammer was shortened. The mechanics are a carry on from the Model '93, a far superior arrangement than any Winchester and designed by L.L.Hepburn in the Marlin factory. If the film "Winchester '73" had been renamed " Marlin '93" and John Wayne had carried a Marlin the story might have been different. Thank you for the photos. If you come across the sporting carbine or rifle iterations pick them up as well.
    Gambler and pacificpt like this.
    If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

Wrangler
    Member #
    I had never heard of the 1936. I like the looks of it. Congratulations on what appears to be a great find.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I went shooting yesterday and unfortunately the winchester beat the pants off of the marlin. The marlin did have 3 things going for it though. First, the recoil was non-existent. Not that I care about recoil, but it was noticeable. Second, it was quiet as all get out. it's almost like it was silenced. Finally, the marlin is much cheaper to shoot. I shot the same couple bullets all day, and when I was done I put them in the winchester and shot them one last time.

[spoiler]
    In case you haven't figured it out yet, the marlin wouldn't go bang. Based on there being no dimple on the primer, I'm guessing a broken firing pin. I already took it to the gun mechanic because that's way outside of my comfort zone.
    [/spoiler]

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    That's too bad. I hope it's an easy fix.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    Better Pictures with sunlight and everything!
    Nice picture thanks for sharing it.
    Team 45/70 # 1869, Team Browning # 148,Team .444 # 781
    Team 30/30 # 1392,
    Team Shotgun # 124, Team .22 Mag # 175
    Team Wheelguns # 109,
    Team Semi Auto # 73,Team Old Pharts # 378
    Team Rossi 92 .44 Mag 38 Spl/357 Mag. # 83 Team 60 # 477
    Team Henry .22 lr # 134

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I already forgot how much it cost to fix the firing pin. I think it was $150, this gun smith was pretty expensive. He said the part was very hard to find and there was an $85 clean and inspect fee right off the bat. But I got it out to the range yesterday and here are the results of the Winchester vs Marlin shootout.

I didn't have much time so I just shot them at 25 yards. First shot was for the center of the target to see if the sights were close enough. I decided they were and fired a 3 round group for each at it's own target. Group size for both were decent, but the marlin was the clear winner. Not only were they centered, but they look a little tighter to me. I was planning to measure them last night, just never got around to it. For reference, those grid lines are 1" apart. Based on that they both shot right around 1.5" groups. But aside from that, the Marlin's sights were a lot easier to see and on the Winchester I had to remove the elevator completely from the rear sight to get it shooting level. It has a little plate on the rear sight held in by a screw. I think if I can remove it I'll be able to put the elevator back in and shoot right. Problem is I couldn't budge that screw. I might install a tang sight if I decide I want to shoot it more or hunt with it.

I backed the target up to 100 yards and fired one more shot from each. I didn't get a picture of that, but the results were interesting. The marlin's elevation was still dead on, it was just about 4-5 inches to the left. For the winchester I put the elevator back in on it's lowest setting because I was expecting it to shoot lower at 100 yards, but that shot wound up about 6" high and 8" to the right. Which leads me to my next question. Does anyone have ballistics charts for the 32 special that show how much it drops at various ranges? With a 30-30, on at 25 yards is pretty much on at 100 yards. I didn't expect that to be the same for the 32 with it's bigger heavier bullet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    pacificpt likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    the ballistics from remington website 100 yd zero 150 yds = -2.6 200 yds -8.0 250 yds -16.7 300 yds -29.3 with 170 gr projectile 2200 fps at muzzle
    Gambler likes this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Try some Hornady Flex tip ammo. Totally changes accuracy and capability.
    Gambler likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links