Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Model 36 forum

9K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  rickmelva 
#1 ·
We have a lot of square bolters out there. So come on in and show us your brag.

Hoping this will add a lot of information on dealing with the 36 specifically.

#2 ·
I have renamed the 36 to include other square bolt levers. Many here own 93s and such.

#4 ·
I have just recently purchased my first Model 36 RC in 30-30 Win, manufactured in 1947 (D prefix). I've wanted to know more about this really beautiful older rifle so hope this forum thread takes off. Thanks for getting this going, Swany.

#5 ·
Got to dig out my 36 and snap a few photos!

Reactions: Rifle Shoppe
#6 ·
Thank you Swany for the sub-forum. I do like my 36!

#7 ·
Wow, thanks for the start up on this Swany. Will get pics up of mine soon (soon as I remember how :hmmmm:)
Greg

#8 ·
Swany put my name on the list for Model 36...thanks

#9 · (Edited)
New to this website/forums, I'm hoping to learn more about my Marlins, starting with dating them. My M1936 has a serial of B3xx, can anyone tell me where I can find the info to date it and other Marlins?
Also why does it say Mod 1936 on the gun yet they were made in the 40's?

ETA: A little more edumacated now. :)

#10 ·
The Model of 1936 was based on the Model of 93, and, ( as opposed to the Model 36) was first produced, in it's 1st variation in late 1936 for the 1937 market. It was designed to compete with Winchester's Model 94. It was produced for four years, cosmetically and functionally the same for all four years, and in carbine, sporting carbine and rifle iterations. The 2nd variation, also stamped Model of 1936 on the tang was first produced in 1941. There were significant differences between the 1st and 2nd variations both cosmetically as well as functionally.

#16 ·
I've posted this before and that we have this new sub-forum I would like to and be proud to post it again. I have bought, sold and traded a few Marlins but this has to be my best find yet.
All this actually started a couple years ago down south at a gun show in Baldwin county Al. Talking to a guy about buying a Marlin 22 he was walking around with and another guy mentioned having a Marlin rifle he was thinking about selling. When I inquired about the model he said it was a 1947 model 36 with a couple different scopes he didn't know a lot about. Now I've never given much thought to having my birth year rifle but this was getting interesting. Well I agreed to meet him at his office the following week and he had the rifle to look at with the marbles peep sight on it but didn't bring the scopes. It was a beaut and I knew I wanted it but he didn't have the scopes and I was leaving town soon. So one year later I'm back in the area and meet up with him at his office. He shows me the Boone scopes and I'm like what in the world are these. So we mount the scopes on the rifle and look thru them out a window and I'm hooked for sure. It's amazing how clear these are and the range they have. He claims he has shot 2 inch groups with the 4x at 100 yds. So we get together on price and I now have something pretty rare I believe with these two scopes. As I understand it they only made these from 1951 to 1954. I'll have to do more shooting with it and get the different components sighted in and submit a range report at a later date.

Attachments

#22 ·
I'm going to take a pic of my 36 and post it tomorrow. Looking for opinions as to it's origin. I've read about 93's with 36 barrels and such, but I am thinking that just maybe some came from the factory this way. I do know that the lever is straight, and not curved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.