USSOCOM Purchases MG 338 Machine Guns, Ammunition and next generation suppressors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: USSOCOM Purchases MG 338 Machine Guns, Ammunition and next generation suppressors

Gunfighter
    Member #

USSOCOM Purchases MG 338 Machine Guns, Ammunition and next generation suppressors

7BE3E451-A46B-460D-B159-5E04AB232554-560x181.jpg

NEWINGTON, N.H., (January 15, 2020) – SIG SAUER, Inc. is pleased to announce the United States Special Operation Command (USSOCOM), working closely with SIG SAUER, has completed a safety certification of the new SIG SAUER MG 338 Machine Gun, SIG SAUER 338 Norma Mag Ammunition, and Next Generation Suppressors. Following this historic official safety certification, SIG SAUER has completed deliveries of multiple systems, comprised of the MG 338 Machine Guns, 338 Norma Mag Ammunition, and Next Generation Suppressors – all researched, designed, engineered, and manufactured by SIG SAUER in the U.S.A.

338_MG_RIGHT-PR-700x194.jpg

“The safety certification of the complete SIG SAUER MG 338 system and delivery of the system to USSOCOM is historically very significant. For the first time in decades the U.S. Military certified a new machine gun, ammunition, and suppressor at the same time, bringing new innovation, portability, and increased lethality to our ground forces, with all components coming from one company,” began Ron Cohen, President and CEO, SIG SAUER, Inc. “This certification was achieved following the outstanding performance of the complete MG 338 system through the rigors of the extensive function, durability, and safety tests set forth by USSOCOM.”

The SIG MG 338 bridges the gap between the current machine guns currently in use with the U.S. Military. In comparison to the current M240 (7.62x51cal) machine gun, which has been in service with the U.S. Military for 60 years, the SIG MG 338, is noticeably lighter, weighing only 20 pounds, and provides significantly more range and lethality. In comparison to the M2 (.50cal), which has been in service with the U.S. Military for 110 years, the MG 338 is approximately one-quarter the weight, and in a historic first, offers a man-portable solution with similar effective-range. Making this system even more desirable is the new SIG SAUER Next Generation Suppressors which drastically reduces the impact of harmful toxic fumes and signature, making the operator less vulnerable.

The SIG SAUER MG 338 machine gun is a belt-fed, lightweight medium machine gun weighing under 20lbs., chambered in 338 Norma Mag. The MG 338 features a short-stroke gas piston system and a proprietary recoil mitigation system, with a free-floating, quick-change barrel, ambidextrous controls, switchable feed tray, charging handle that can be alternated to either side depending on operator preference, and as a modern, multi-caliber, modular system the new SIG MG 338 is easily convertible to 7.62x51cal.

“We are incredibly proud of this historical accomplishment and honored to have received this safety certification by USSOCOM for the performance of the complete MG 338 system,” concluded Cohen.

https://www.sofmag.com/ussocom-purch...KdTRjQcgyLpZzo

Team 45-70
    Team 1894
    NRA Lifetime/Endowment Member
    USMC 0331

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I'd like to have one!
    gunscrewguy and Shooter4570 like this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Heck yea!! So would I!

anything belt fed....
    Shooter4570 and gunscrewguy like this.
    However complicated the issues become... it comes down to one simple question. Which is more important to you Life or Liberty? I've made my decision long ago.

"Is life so sweet or peace so dear; as to be paid for at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me Liberty or give me Death." Patrick Henry

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by capt greg View Post
    Heck yea!! So would I!

anything belt fed....
    Happiness is a belt fed weapon!
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Contributing Member
    Member #
    MG338 certainly appears to be an extremely formidable tool. 20 LBS is light! I believe Knight's Armament is developing a light machine gun as well in .762mm.

M240 was introduced in 1977. Not 60 years ago! 63 Years ago the M60 came into being.

AC
    Last edited by gunscrewguy; 01-20-2020 at 12:18 PM.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Sounds like a good addition with the more powerful cartridge in certain situations and it can be converted between the two rounds(7.62x51) easily they say. But we still need to hang onto the M2 (50 cal.) which a great weapon.
    Marlinjunkie and gunscrewguy like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Belt-fed .338 Norma Mag? Bring on that Jurassic invasion, T Rex won't stand a chance. One more cartridge to make Quartermaster Supply more difficult.
    Marlinjunkie and gunscrewguy like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    ...M240 was introduced in 1977. Not 60 years ago!

AC
    I noticed that too. I think they meant to say that the US has had 7.62x51 caliber machine guns for 60 years.

Under 20 pounds is great for such a powerful machine gun. But I wonder how much a 20 pound weapon recoils as it spits out 600 rounds per minute, each round producing 4950 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    A suppressed full auto LMG chambered for a sniper round. I have to admit, it sounds interesting.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    "Step by step they were led to things which dispose to vice, the lounge, the bath, the elegant banquet. All this in their ignorance they called civilization, when it was but a part of their servitude." ― Tacitus

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Grenadier View Post
    I noticed that too. I think they meant to say that the US has had 7.62x51 caliber machine guns for 60 years.

Under 20 pounds is great for such a powerful machine gun. But I wonder how much a 20 pound weapon recoils as it spits out 600 rounds per minute, each round producing 4950 foot pounds of muzzle energy.

The included suppressor will help incredibly with recoil. Also in the short video they showed, the barrel looked like it was some type of recoiling system in it. I'll get reports from friends at the Shot Show this coming week.
    Team 45-70
    Team 1894
    NRA Lifetime/Endowment Member
    USMC 0331

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links