Traded into my first M1 Garand yesterday - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Traded into my first M1 Garand yesterday

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret_Eng View Post
    Thanks so much for the info. This CMP rifle only came with the certificate and the shipping paperwork. No other paperwork/manuals/shipping case/clips were provided. The good folks at the LGS gave me two new or reconditioned clips which work well with the rifle.
    FWIW, attached is a list of enbloc manufacturer codes. I stumbled across this Excel spreadsheet on my PC (converted to .pdf). I have no idea who originated it or where it came from.

M1 Garand Clip Codes 2000.pdf

If you're going to single load your rifle, get one of these:

https://www.fulton-armory.com/faqs/M1G-FAQs/SLED.htm

Just some things to keep in mind when putting together your reloads:

https://www.fulton-armory.com/faqs/A.../SlamFire2.htm

In Chapter 10 of Scott Duff's book, The M1 Garand Owner's Guide, Fulton Armory advised against using reloaded ammo - "Don't use reloads!" It seems they've since softened their stance somewhat.
    Ret_Eng likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Looks like 46.5 grs of 4064 and a 165 gr Hornady Interlock will work with this rifle at 50 yards. I shot the rifle for the first time today and also the first time ever shootin' a Garand. The sights were dead on at 50--didn't have to adjust anything. Actually all three of my loads impacted within the seperate blue bulls--this was the best grouping out of the three tested today. I think I can shrink the spread further by just shooting the rifle and getting used to how it functions and handles. And no----I didn't get the Garand thumb. I learned to load a Garand through the tales my dad and uncles told me of experiencing US Army basic training during WWII.
    20190813_154554_V2.jpg The flyer on the right is on me. I rushed a shot instead of taking my time.
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 08-13-2019 at 07:10 PM.
    M1Riflenut likes this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    4895 works really well with the Sierra 168 grn match king bullets for both Garand and M1A.
    M1Riflenut, Ret_Eng and Ret_Eng like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy23* View Post
    4895 works really well with the Sierra 168 grn match king bullets for both Garand and M1A.
    Not gonna use match type bullets--this old warhorse is gonna go after deer this fall!
    Cowboy23* and barryinpa like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    After cleaning up the rifle tonight, found out the replacement Danish VAR barrel has a Aug 1966 date. That was about the time I started the 3rd grade.
    Tomray and M1Riflenut like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ret_Eng View Post
    After cleaning up the rifle tonight, found out the replacement Danish VAR barrel has a Aug 1966 date. That was about the time I started the 3rd grade.
    A late VAR. Probably still gauges like new. These replacement barrels have a reputation for excellent accuracy and it's been my experience that reputation is no myth. You might want to pickup a new stainless steel oprod spring. Clean the inside of the oprod tube and lube it with a light synthetic grease, that way it will run slick even in the cold. PM me your address and I'll send you some extra clips and a CMP owner's manual if you want. Does your state have a limit on the number of rounds you can hunt with in a semi-auto? You can get modified clips that hold 2 or 5 rds for hunting.
    Ret_Eng likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
    A late VAR. Probably still gauges like new. These replacement barrels have a reputation for excellent accuracy and it's been my experience that reputation is no myth. You might want to pickup a new stainless steel oprod spring. Clean the inside of the oprod tube and lube it with a light synthetic grease, that way it will run slick even in the cold. PM me your address and I'll send you some extra clips and a CMP owner's manual if you want. Does your state have a limit on the number of rounds you can hunt with in a semi-auto? You can get modified clips that hold 2 or 5 rds for hunting.
    The VAR barrel looks practically brand new. It sure hasn't seen a lot of rounds down the pipe. Thank goodness I live in a civilized state--no round limits for shooting or hunting. Sending a PM your way............
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; Yesterday at 04:42 AM.
    M1Riflenut likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I find the M1 to be a fascinating rifle. I've had several, but have just one right now, a '53 IHC that i restored from a non-working relic into an accurate, reliable rifle that lives up to the Garand's reputation.

What surprised me was the amount of youngsters familiar with it through video games and were simply excited to fire the real McCoy.

Your rifle looks to be ready to provide you with a huge amount of shooting enjoyment.

On the subject of plugs, I prefer the Garand Gear plug, which lowers operating pressure and reciprocating speed of the bolt through the principle of larger volume, though it will eventually fill with carbon, so I occasionally pull it and remove the carbon. Since parts are no longer funded by Uncle Sam, I try to be as easy on them as I can be.

My IHC:

Ret_Eng, M1Riflenut and mikom like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic in Va View Post
    I find the M1 to be a fascinating rifle. I've had several, but have just one right now, a '53 IHC that i restored from a non-working relic into an accurate, reliable rifle that lives up to the Garand's reputation.

What surprised me was the amount of youngsters familiar with it through video games and were simply excited to fire the real McCoy.

Your rifle looks to be ready to provide you with a huge amount of shooting enjoyment.

On the subject of plugs, I prefer the Garand Gear plug, which lowers operating pressure and reciprocating speed of the bolt through the principle of larger volume, though it will eventually fill with carbon, so I occasionally pull it and remove the carbon. Since parts are no longer funded by Uncle Sam, I try to be as easy on them as I can be.

My IHC:

Very nice rifle! I will look into the Garand Gear plug. Lowering op pressure sounds great to me. The loads I tested yesterday are ~.5 grains under the book max for the Garand. Don't care to push the rifle harder than that.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links