Traded into my first M1 Garand yesterday - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Traded into my first M1 Garand yesterday

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Schuster makes some good vented gas plugs for the Garand if you are not going to be using GI M2 30-06 ammo. I got my Garand from DCM back in the days when a service grade was 250.00. I also built 2 from barreled actions with head spaced bolt that DCM used to sell---it was just a stripped barreled action with a stripped head spaced bolt for 99.00 bucks. The CMP doesn't sell barreled actions anymore.
    If you intend to shoot it you should try to get some spare parts while you still can. Most parts have all dried up. It is especially hard to get decent gas cylinders and Op Rods. Before you shoot it replace the recoil spring with a new one---swab out the inside of the Op Rod where the spring goes. There is usually a lot of junk and crud in there. Grease the spring.
    rob42049 and Ret_Eng like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Great trade, Jay! I'd love to pick one up when we leave CA but I tend to lean towards an M1A/M-14. Something about these battle guns calls me big time and the itch has to get scratched at some point. Congrats! Looking forward to a range report once you get your load work done.

Jack
    Ret_Eng and M1Riflenut like this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKTW View Post
    Great trade, Jay! I'd love to pick one up when we leave CA but I tend to lean towards an M1A/M-14. Something about these battle guns calls me big time and the itch has to get scratched at some point. Congrats! Looking forward to a range report once you get your load work done.

Jack
    Jack,

When you leave California you will find that it is OK to have a M1 Garand and a M1A. Every red blooded American should have one of each.
    Old men with Garands do not panic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/20Marlin View Post
    Jack,

When you leave California you will find that it is OK to have a M1 Garand and a M1A. Every red blooded American should have one of each.
    Yes Jack--Don't get one in CA--It will just have all the CA compliant stuff on it and no 20 rd mags. By right only semi-auto rifles with hi- cap magazines that are also used on a Pistol equivalent built on the same receiver were supposed to be banned. The M1A does not have a M1A pistol so by right 20rd mags should not be banned. Same for FN FAL . Now as soon as someone comes out with a pistol version then the mags get banned.
    Ret_Eng, JACKTW and M1Riflenut like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Some Reloading Information

It may be somewhat dated, but this is from the Q&A section of the NRA M1 Rifle "booklet" ;

q_a reloads.jpg

This .pdf attachment is from an old ('86 ) issue of The American Rifleman:

ReloadingForTheM1Rifle_JohnRClarke.pdf

As always, use caution. But you guys already know that. I've not used this data; I'm still burning through an 8lb. jug of surplus M2 ball propellant.
    Ret_Eng likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Looks like a nice one Jay, congratulations! I picked up my first M1 last year and bought an adjustable gas block but never installed it. Unless you plan to shoot modern factory ammo it isn't needed and as a reloader you can tailor your loads to the gun. My rifle is currently at my parent's house but I'm going to get it in a few weeks and plan to shoot it as soon as I can!

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    Looks like a nice one Jay, congratulations! I picked up my first M1 last year and bought an adjustable gas block but never installed it. Unless you plan to shoot modern factory ammo it isn't needed and as a reloader you can tailor your loads to the gun. My rifle is currently at my parent's house but I'm going to get it in a few weeks and plan to shoot it as soon as I can!
    I plan to use the M1 Garand data from the Hornady book for the 168 gr loads---not going over 47.2 grs of 4064 which is the book max. That amount of powder is about 2.5 grains less than what I normally use in a 1952 Rem Mod 721 '06 (shooting a 165 gr Hornady Interlock SP). The more I learn about this rifle, the more fascinated with it I become. I am going to field strip it tonight since I forgot to check for the VAR barrel install date. The rifle was clean and well oiled when I partially took it apart late last night--that was very refreshing.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo57509 View Post
    It may be somewhat dated, but this is from the Q&A section of the NRA M1 Rifle "booklet" ;

q_a reloads.jpg

This .pdf attachment is from an old ('86 ) issue of The American Rifleman:

ReloadingForTheM1Rifle_JohnRClarke.pdf

As always, use caution. But you guys already know that. I've not used this data; I'm still burning through an 8lb. jug of surplus M2 ball propellant.
    Thanks so much for the info. This CMP rifle only came with the certificate and the shipping paperwork. No other paperwork/manuals/shipping case/clips were provided. The good folks at the LGS gave me two new or reconditioned clips which work well with the rifle.
    Last edited by Ret_Eng; 08-13-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Congrats! An M1 Garand is on the bucket list...along with a few others!
    Ret_Eng likes this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Very nice ! The Garands and the M1 Carbines used to be semi cheap, but now they are commanding a premium price.
    Ret_Eng likes this.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links