Removing a broken cartridge neck - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Removing a broken cartridge neck

Deadeye
    Member #
    no primers....when you do get it out...inspect the neck area of the chamber closely. Polish it if you find any rough spots...try not to remove metal...just polish. It could be that the thinned case got hung up on a rough spot when you were extracting it. A strong case wouldn't hang up...but when they weaken...its easy to tear the neck free.

redhawk
    no primers and rob42049 like this.
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.

Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Certified Gunnut
    In an old beaver swamp in upstate New York
    Member #
    Thanks , i was trying to shoot up a bunch of rounds, that i couldn't remember which rifle i made them for. Have 4 Enfield s
    Supporter of USA Olympic shooting Team
    Since 1987.
    Team Oliver Tractor 550

Deadeye
    Member #
    Was this the "new" one...Heins 57? If so...it might be really worth looking at that chamber closely. I know I had to polish my MN. Its dated 1895. The bore is pretty good...but the chamber was a little "gritty" You could feel it when extracting. I used some scotchbright and polishing compound on a split stick in my drill....it worked wonders.

redhawk
    gunscrewguy and no primers like this.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    If a 303 has a bit of excess headspace and your brass has been reloaded a few times this can happen. The beauty of the Enfield is they made different bolt head sizes so as to "adjust" headspace. If I remember correctly they are marked 0 through 4 . The tightest chambered 303 I have is a matching 5 digit serial ERA Patt'14. And brother can it shoot straight . My matching 1911 SMLE is also a close second and it's a tack driver too. The '42 No 4 longbranch I gave my son is matching but FTR'd and it is as well a great shooter.
    As well a 42 date Lithgow SMLE that was rebarreled in '54 is one great shooter I gave my son as well. In 3 = decades of reloading I have found 303 brass does eventually fail faster than you would expect with milspec type loads. Telltale sign is usually the bright brass ring not far from rim . Anyhow you can usually use a surplus ruptured case extractor to with little modification to knock out case. Sometimes a lead 32 pistol bullet driven in from the muzzle will do it nicely.
    ironhead7544 likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Did you have success in getting this out? What were your findings?

redhawk

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I have a 22 Hornet case neck broke off inside my Hornet dies and so far have not figured how to get it out. The hole is so small in the die that there is not much room to work.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by horseshoe View Post
    I have a 22 Hornet case neck broke off inside my Hornet dies and so far have not figured how to get it out. The hole is so small in the die that there is not much room to work.
    Yikes...that's tougher for sure...a die dimension is tighter than a chamber. Is it possible to get a narrow exacto in there and split the case neck...thus relieving tension? Brass is pretty soft compared to the exacto blade. Just be careful not to cut too deep to score the die. The barrel handle of the exacto might not fit inside the case body dimension though.

It might be worth trying to run a tap inside the case neck and then try to pulling it out.

[EDIT] - you might want to ask over in the gunsmithing forum.

redhawk

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by horseshoe View Post
    Never had this in hornet but once in 222. I soaked it with Kroil & PB and used some old brass bore brushes. Started with 243 but I think I was up to 30 or 32 before the brush dug in enough to push it out. Soon as it moved it came right out.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links