Am I screwed?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Am I screwed?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Am I screwed?

So I was hand loading for the first time ever today, 45-70 of course, and while I was seating the bullet the brass kinks just a bit, I know that it’s now a weak point, but since it uses the rim for headspace can I still shoot that round? Also the bullets are from cam-pro and PPU, and both have a meplat smaller than the 405 remingtons that I normally use, not pointed but just about the same diameter of a primer, please comment or pm me If I should be worried at all, thank you all and have a good day

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Welcome aboard Dangerdan.

Did you bell your case mouths enough before seating the bullet? Whose dies are you using? The major brands have a belling die set up for jacketed bullets. You should be able to seat your projectiles without buckling the case if you have a slight bell at the lip of your case.

To be honest I've never seen that happen with a 45/70 case, but it is common enough with thin walled cases like the 32/20 and 44/40.

Why not just toss the round. In the grand scheme of things, that case will not be a huge loss.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 04-24-2020 at 01:01 PM.
    jim716, Lever Jac and gunscrewguy like this.
    Keep your powder dry,
    Scharfschuetze

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Dan,

Without seeing the loaded round, I will make no comment on shooting or tossing.

From here, I am also guessing there needs to be a tiny bit more flair to the cast mouth.

Meplat ---------------------- What is your planned use for your loaded rounds?

I am a cast bullet shooter/hunter with my 45/70 and have seen the results on deer and elk using the Wide Flat Nose cast bullets. As always with proper shot placement the results are fast and effective, Every deer except on that I hit back about the diaphragm dropped where they stood and elk were down in less time then it takes to tell about it.

My bullet is a WFN 465gr that I put out of the muzzle at 1650fps.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    If it’s “kinked” very much it’s not going to chamber. Sounds like you didn’t bell case mouth enough for lead bullets. If it chambers it won’t hurt to shoot it.
    jim716 likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I’m using Redding dies, and I believe I belled
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I’ve got them loaded with 37grains of IMR-4198 and I plan on using them for black bear and whitetail, maybe load them a bit hotter if I draw a moose tag, and they buckled towards the inside of the shell
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thank you all for your advice, I need it very much haha, I hope you all the best

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Not belled enough and if that is not new brass it might help to use a bronze brush on case mouth.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    From the looks of if I would check to see if the crimp was set correctly being it looks like the bullet started ok but bent the case after it had gone in a ways. I have never loaded 45-70 but I had a very similar problem with some 300Ham'r loads. My solution was a Lee Factory crimp Die.
    old wound likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I would suspect that the crimp was the issue. Do them in separate steps. See if that helps.
    Boris and Travlin like this.
    Team 45-70: #1110
    Team 30-30: #1080
    Team 1894: #521

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links