• 1 Post By Captain*kirk
  • 3 Post By Crusty Deary Ol Coot
  • 2 Post By Crusty Deary Ol Coot
  • 1 Post By jimkim

Thread: Another mentoring experience ------

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Another mentoring experience ------

A young family moved to this area about a year ago to work and learn at a farm where the goal is stainability. They were to be here for just one year with the intent to then move a bit South to the McCall area after that year was up.

Lovely family!!!!!!!!!

The wife and I decided to have them into our home to get a bit better acquainted before we sadly saw them leave.

During that visit, it came to light that Trent had some interest in shooting and possibility hunting with that background in his family. He and his wife both showed a good level if interest in that subject and in the handloading process so we spent maybe a half hour covering just the bare basics before they departed.

I got to thinking about the subjects covered, and realized that the information was likely so fragmented that it might well be confusing, so I ask Trent if he could spare a short time during their packing up process to come back buy.

I did some mental gymnastics trying to figure a way to cover as much ground as possible in a clear and understandable way with the goal to leave him with a basic idea of what and why in as short as possible a time slot, of course stressing during both sessions safety and to buy some good loading manuals and read the front of the book!

So, I decided to quickly address dies, both carbide and the standard bottle neck verity, and showed him the process on some .40S&W cases with sizing/depriming and expanding in the first two dies. Moved on and primed 5 - 45acp cases with my RCBS bench mount priming tool, giving him a catalog showing other tools but explaining that I had found this tool to be the best I had ever used but that good hand priming tools such as the RCBS were also good options.

The reason I moved on to the .45acp cases was that I am currently out of cast .40 bullets. So, explained and showed powder measures and used the RCBS Little Dandy to thrown some 5gr. Bullseye charges in the 45 brass before seating cast bullets.

Didn't plan on this, but seating and crimping that first bullet QUICKLY showed that the die was out of adjustment for the Rock Chucker press as the last time I'd used it was on a Hornady progressive for which I found a new home.

So, Trent also got a quick lesson in properly adjusting the seating and crimping die in a three die straight wall die set.

On to bottle neck cases, showing him the condition of typical necks and how to quickly get those necks rounded out and properly expanded for loading. This process also included lubing of cases, the need to avoid case lube contamination or primers and powder etc. etc. and the reasons for proper bottle neck full length sizing die adjustment, Send him home with a copy of my file document which addresses proper die adjustment and the reasons why following manufactures instruction is not always the best way due to manufacturing tolerances used in the manufacture of both chambers and dies.

In short, we covered a bunch or ground quickly, hopefully filling in holes and questions likely left during the first session.

The family moved about 4 hours South a day or so ago, but expect it won't be long before I am again in contact with Trent as it seems as though he has a real interest.

They do have a number of firearms on hand. .22s, 30/06, and .40S&W that I know of so moving to the rural area they are now living in I suspect Trent will be moving on from where we left off.

Mean while, I'll keep my eyes open for some used but good loading tools I can pass his way.

Another enjoyable mentoring session!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol Coot; 06-02-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Good job
    rlm1 likes this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Just picked up some older loading equipment yesterday, so will get it cleaned up and sent on to my recently mentored and moved friend.

The press is a well used RCBS Jr. that really needs a good cleaning, but there are enough parts and pieces, scale, dies, press etc. to get him well on his way to starting.

CDOC
    jimkim, msharley, cajun56 and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    your not as crusty as you name Implies.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Wrangler
    Member #
    Nice job of passing it on!
    jimkim likes this.
    Measure twice, cut once.
    Marlin 336CS .35 Remington

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I was in the shop yesterday cleaning the press and dies. Now waiting for some parts from RCBS, a scale pan and of yesterday, a new shell holder retainer spring/clip.

The guy that owned this stuff must have been a real pig and used axle grease for case lube. But I still in "E" contact with Trent so he knows things are in progress. With them trying to get settled into their new rental digs and looking for some property to buy, He is not wanting to get started soon as in the morning or next week.

CDOC
    GrumpyBear, msharley and jimkim like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Having rec'd the new scale pan from RCBS, I started to pack up the used but cleaned up RCBS Jr. loading press and other related hand loading equipment including a new Speer loading manual, lube pad and lube and a few other misc. parts and pieces.

Funny, but I put the new scale pan on the RCBS balance beam scale and tried to use the check weight to test the accuracy of the used scale, I could not get anywhere close to getting the scale to zero. Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Well, apparently the previous owner had used the scale without the scale pan and in order to get it to balance/zero, had added additional lead shot to the bottom of the scale pan hanger.

Took me a few tries subtracting and adding lead shot before I got er done, but finally got the scale to zero and put the hanger back together minus a bunch of lead shot.

Anyway, disassembled the press, cleaned and painted the linkage parts, lubed and reassembled along with the new shell holder retaining spring that RCBS had supplied.

Everything was in the mail on Monday and should be arriving in the McCall, Idaho area by today or of not very soon.

Included a cover letter outlining some things that Trent needs to buy, such as a priming tool, shell holders, some extra headed decapping pins and some other things, then included a copy of my document out lining the proper way to set up full length sizing dies and the reasons why many times the manufactures instructions miss the mark.

Trent and family are very busy settling in since their move from Deary, but with the new handloading book in hand he should be able to get started as soon as time permits.

Of course, I'll gladly continue to walk him through any questionable area.

My youngest son and grand son visited from Califunnyia last week and we enjoyed a couple of early morning shooting sessions during which we fired hundreds of round of handgun, rifle and shotgun ammo.

Then we had a couple of afternoon/evenings devoted to handloading handgun and rifle ammo.

Been years since the youngest son had hands on experience and it was all new to the grandson.

Jerry picked up a REAL BARGIN of a RCBS Rockchucker press and most or all of the other needed tools, all for $200 bucks. So, he is about set up to get back into the process and just wanted to have some time refreshing the old memories.

Need to find someone else to mentor. Pretty much worked myself out of that job at present.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    msharley and jimkim like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Good job brother! I tell all the "newbies" the same thing. "Read the front of the book, and read it again, and again, then read it again about once a month." I believe that is the most important thing to cover. I don't stress on buying the most current manual. With the powder companies providing data online now, that pretty much covers that area, and I personally prefer the older manuals for instruction. I love the older Speer and Lyman manuals.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk
    Jan 4, 2007 gasoline $2.10 gal.....HMMM?

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links