Possible listing of available mentors -------------------------
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Possible listing of available mentors -------------------------

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Possible listing of available mentors -------------------------

Just a thought here on the subject of mentors.

What about developing a regional list of mentors available, listed and permanently posted on the forum for those that may desire a hands on or locally available contact person for the purpose of mentoring.

Of course, in the interest of assuring as high a level of "mentoring" as possible, also putting in place some sort of "scoring" system, whereby those that access listed mentors can speak to their experience as well as to the level/quality of the mentoring they received from that source.

I enjoy mentoring and working with new or inexperienced hand loaders and would like even more opportunities to, "mentor".

Thoughts? Is there any way to implement such a file?

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Contributing Member
    Member #
    CDOC I would welcome the opportunity to mentor anyone in southeastern Va on handloading. I am not an expert, I am knowledgeable, and follow the rules and check and re-check each step of the way. I really enjoy the hobby as it allows me to shoot all I want and then some. When I speak with fellow shooters I always suggest that they get into reloading, have not had anyone take me up on the offer yet.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Mruvna,

And I have had the experience of starting to develop hand loads for a friend and it quickly became clear, on the first time to the bench, that he simply did not want to go to the time/effort of the load development process.

Unless I know the person's abilities from the bench, I really prefer to shoot the test loads myself. Not that I am any wiz bang bench rest champion, but I have been there and done that long enough to know if it is the rifle or loads or me that might be causing questionable test results.

Russ shot the first of the test loads on that time out, and I never did know what level of reliability the results were. Then he went home with the rest of the loads and I don't know if they ever were fired.

Learned a lesson there.

So, as you have done, I also try to encourage folk to hand load, but now am up front with the fact that there is some effort and expense involved in an effort to weed out situations such as spoken of above.

My thoughts of a listing of available mentors is more for providing beginning or interested handloader's a ready source of advice/experience then trying to get non-interested people to go there.

Great day to ya!

CDOC

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I think it's a great idea, I even inquired about the same thing on the boolit casting forum some time back. A really good point was brought up in those discussions, and that is; bringing a stranger into your home or workshop.

I'm so trusting of most folks (well, I will correct that and say that I trust my "instincts") that I never thought of that as a problem. But now that I think about bringing a stranger into my "Gun Room" as the wife calls it, I see their point. I would be more than willing to help out a fellow member with the basics of shooting, reloading, archery or anything else that might help them along. But I would want them to be a reasonably long standing member, and would definitely meet them "off site" before agreeing to go further. My instincts would guide me from there.

But I still think it's a great idea. Starting off doing something like reloading ammunition can be intimidating to some folks. I wasn't smart enough to be worried when I began. I bought some books a Dillon Press and accessories and jumped in with both feet! Turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made, I just don't know why it took me so long to start into casting.
    Team 444 Marlin - 1970 Centennial
    Team 22 Magnum - # 42 Marlin 57M
    Team Browning - # 5 1992 Browning BLR .308
    Team 30-30 - # 897 1989 Marlin 30TK
    Team 35 - #501 1978 336
    Team 1894 - # 318 1979 Marlin .357 Carbine

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I seem to have the ability to see what's in a person and not what they portray themselves outwardly. Most folks that come here do what I call "Taking inventory" which can either bite you in the keester if your not careful, or...not. I've had years of experience dealing with people, but in my line of work it was dealing the "Higher ups" as apposed to the general public type of dealings. Totally different mind-set with the way things are said and done and I find its generally better if brought up quickly, but politely.

I have a Mentor offering already, not that I mind teaching others, but a lot of what I do is a bit above what I call beginner level. Some of my pet-peeves are so minor it generally only takes being verbal and it stops. People that want to debate there actions when they're told to please don't do it again are on the "Your an idiot" list, probably for life but that was there choice and not mine. We have so much stuff around our house, anything from sewing items to painting to mechanics tools it isn't funny. Most don't but some folks just come in (with permission of course) and start grabbing things, that's when my I'm getting PO'd meter almost gets pegged and they're told to NOT pick anything up. Reason I even bring that up is because the wife was working with a wooden model, thing is it has about 30 different parts and the glue was drying, to late by the time they grabbed it and 2hrs of work went town the drain.

I'm trying to get the LGS to teach reloading, but he seems to a bit slow with progress. He says he only wants to start with straight walled cases, he says lots of folks might not get bottle neck reloading. I've been in the reloading game so long at this point I do it all and I take it for granted it's easy and don't think about how hard it is for other folks.

About the only thing I even get concerned about is when folks want something, that I have, just for the asking, it doesn't work like that in my world. Living where I do seems to have advantages, I can see someone coming in 1/2hr before they get here, so as far as those unannounced visits go they just don't happen.

OK I'm starting to ramble here...
    SCiesie154, kraynky and msharley like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kraynky View Post
    I think it's a great idea, I even inquired about the same thing on the boolit casting forum some time back. A really good point was brought up in those discussions, and that is; bringing a stranger into your home or workshop.

I'm so trusting of most folks (well, I will correct that and say that I trust my "instincts") that I never thought of that as a problem. But now that I think about bringing a stranger into my "Gun Room" as the wife calls it, I see their point. I would be more than willing to help out a fellow member with the basics of shooting, reloading, archery or anything else that might help them along. But I would want them to be a reasonably long standing member, and would definitely meet them "off site" before agreeing to go further. My instincts would guide me from there.

But I still think it's a great idea. Starting off doing something like reloading ammunition can be intimidating to some folks. I wasn't smart enough to be worried when I began. I bought some books a Dillon Press and accessories and jumped in with both feet! Turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made, I just don't know why it took me so long to start into casting.
    That's why I thought it was a great idea to meet a MO member while in FL recently.

I might be in MO soon and would meet someone in or near NW St Louis. Maryland Heights, I think. Get a burger with my wife while we're in town.
    drjjpdc, msharley and kraynky like this.
    New to Marlins but already got the bug. Dammit. And now I went and caught some reloading.

1894 .357
    1894 .44 #426

Wrangler
    Member #
    This is a great idea. I've wanted to get into reloading for quite some time but don't have anyone to teach me how, and the idea of trial/error is a bit intimidating. SEPA for me as a student if the list gets built.
    kraynky, sgt_zim, msharley and 1 others like this.
    Marlin 1893 32-40

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterBen View Post
    This is a great idea. I've wanted to get into reloading for quite some time but don't have anyone to teach me how, and the idea of trial/error is a bit intimidating. SEPA for me as a student if the list gets built.
    Hey Ben,

Welcome to MO.

Reloading is as "simple" or as "fussy" as one makes it.

Would suggest a couple of Manuals. H'Day, Lee, Hodgon, Lyman.............

Read the Manuals (really like the H'Day for the "new" reloader...........explains things so a "non shooter/reloader" can understand them).

Manuals can be found "used". Much like a variety of excellent reloading equipment...

Once one has perused a Manual (or three), one has a good idea if reloading is for them. (one does not save any money by reloading..........one shoots a whole lot more) LOL

In this day & age, with computer pics/vids....etc.........one can do quite well with advice from members of this forum.

Ah, you ask what you "need", to get started?

Glad you asked. One click https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/re...enches-33.html and you will see reloading "set ups" from simple, to "over the top". Benches, presses, cabinets.........etc.

Surely in 45 pages of FINE reloading benches, you will find a "set up" that "works" for you! LOL

Hope this helps.

Later, Mark
    gunscrewguy, HunterBen and kraynky like this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Waiting to be banned....

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks Mark! And yes, I like how you included the "what do you need" because that was going to be my next question! Appreciate the reference material. I'll start there.
    msharley likes this.
    Marlin 1893 32-40

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterBen View Post
    Thanks Mark! And yes, I like how you included the "what do you need" because that was going to be my next question! Appreciate the reference material. I'll start there.
    Hey Ben,

Manuals! Can not have enough. Old ones, not so old ones, new ones.........Allows one to "compare". (bullet makers typically only list "their" bullets, powder makers only list "their" powders)

Press. Scale. Powder Measure. Case Prep tools. Tumbler. Loading blocks..........etc.

Here are some good links Environment Test , Precisioneered Reloading - RCBS , Home - Redding Reloading Equipment: reloading equipment for rifles, handguns, pistols, revolvers and SAECO bullet casting equipment, Welcome to Lyman , Hornady.com - Accurate, Deadly, Dependable - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc , Lee Precision the Innovative Leader in Reloading Equipment , Dillon Precision: Reloaders, Reloading Equipment, Bullet Reloading, Bullet Reloaders

A couple of purveyors MidwayUSA - Shop Shooting, Hunting, & Outdoor Products , https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ , World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

There are other makers/purveyors, these are the most common.

When you build a bench, build a sturdy one. If living in an apartment, one can mount one's tools on a plank, and use a B&D "Work Mate" for a bench. When not in use, fold and store in closet.........

Lots of options. Variety of "needs" (the high volume pistol shooter, has different "needs" from a casual hunter)

Look them all over.

What do you shoot the most? Do you shoot a lot of calibers? Do you shoot 200 rounds a year? Or 50,000? Are you "feeding" the shooting addiction of "offspring"? LOL

Fellow can go through a lot of rifle ammo, if he has a couple of "offspring" that also compete in Service Rifle! LOL

Which is why I like the "Show off those Benches" thread. Something for everyone!

Later, Mark
    lever30, HunterBen and gunscrewguy like this.
    Duty is the sublimest word in the English language. Every man should desire to do his duty, no man should desire to do less. Robert E Lee.

Marlinitis Symptoms: More Daily!

Active rescuer of Marlin Rifles, S&W revolvers, 1911's, Mil/Surplus rifles, shotguns.............

Waiting to be banned....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links