sorry i know this has been asked a million times - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: sorry i know this has been asked a million times

me
    Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    See if you can find someone who reloads. Go over and watch them and see how he/she does it. Ask all the questions you have. Most will be answered by watching the process and a short explanation of why it's done that way.

Read through the manuals and then decide what you need to buy. It's always more than you thought you would need...

And I also recommend a balance, not an electronic, scale. A good electronic scale, accurate to 0.1 grain, will be several times the cost of a decent beam balance. And it will be less flexible, in case you need to weight loaded rounds. You may exceed the capacity of that accurate, expensive electronic scale. Once the powder measure is set up, the scale is done for the day. It's not necessary to weigh every charge, unless you just have to. If powder measures are good enough for the bench rest crowd, they're good enough for me.

And consider buying used... Garage sales, EBay, Craigs list, gun shows. The presses and the scales do not wear out.

BIG +1 ON THAT HIKayaker.
    "I think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious." - Thomas Jefferson, Letter to William Ludlow, September 6, 1824

team 45/70 #244, team Browning #40
    Hey All... do the right thing and read the rules

https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...ite-rules.html

El Kabong
    Member #
    Ive been reloading since 1961, and there are no electronic scales or anything in my reloading room. They are far to temperamental for me.

I have two 10-10 scales which are the best you can get. What $180 a tad steep for you? The first one I built from 3 part scales, cost $60.
    The second I lucked out on Craig's List for $60. They are with me for life. Maybe my grand boy's life too.
    I also have a Bonanza (1966) oil dip scale for doing wee pistol loads, or duplex 45/70 loads (dont try this kids, you will blow your stuff up)

Stay away from the cheap stuff. I have a brand new Lee Perfect scale and powder drop I cant give away. They are that bad
    “Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Contributing Member
    Member #
    If you find a used RCBS scale you can send it in to them to check the calibration of it. I recommend checking calibration on any used scale you pick up from an unknown sorce, its surprising how many people try to "tweek" things. I would also stay away from used dies unless you know who and trust who you are getting them from, until you know what to look for to inspect them. The cost of new aren't that bad, and well worth the lack of headaches from scratched or pitted used stuff. IMHO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    [QUOTE=Pard;1966525]Ive been reloading since 1961, and there are no electronic scales or anything in my reloading room. They are far to temperamental for me.

I have two 10-10 scales which are the best you can get. What $180 a tad steep for you? The first one I built from 3 part scales, cost $60.
    The second I lucked out on Craig's List for $60. They are with me for life. Maybe my grand boy's life too.
    I also have a Bonanza (1966) oil dip scale for doing wee pistol loads, or duplex 45/70 loads (dont try this kids, you will blow your stuff up)

How many have you tried Pard? I only have 3, all three work beautifully. I prefer the Chargemaster the most . It's a shame, when people use there opinion, good or bad, as gospel to new people wanting to learn reloading. If you started loading in '61, how did you ever manage to evolve to the internet age? I remember the Telex machines, but didn't bash technology.

I will quit posting my knowledge and research from now on, and you all can fire up the gas lights and Model A's
    Jim
    God Bless
    Bitzi Zha

Team 30-30 #975 ,Team 32 Special #95 ,Marlin League #174 ,Team Browning #15 ,Team 35 #536 ,Team 1894 #386
    Team 444 # 659 ,Team Old Pharts 232 ,Team Camp , Team Henry #61

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by superx2 View Post
    was told to stay away from kits and buy the rest of the stuff separate.
    Really? I stared out with the RCBS RockChucker Reloading kit, everything you needed except dies in a box. Once I learned what I was doing, I moved on to buy individual pieces and parts to improve my reloading set up. The experience taught me where to spend my money, what I really needed better and more of and what I could get by with what I had. For rifle cartridges that I'm not machine-gunning away in high volumes (like 5.56), a single stage press is just fine since I would only reload 20-60 at a time, especially during load development. If you're finding out what shoots best in your rifle/barrel/throat configuration, you'll only be loading 5~6 of each load at a time until you can test fire and check for accuracy. You don't need a progressive press to do that.
    NRA - Life; NAHC - Life; Retired USN
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, ...... glory, lasts forever!
    Team 30-30 #960; Team Model 60 #251; Team 35 #598; Team 375 #68; Team 45-70 #1658;
    Team 39 #467; Team Bolt Action Rimfire #157

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion8 View Post
    Really? I stared out with the RCBS RockChucker Reloading kit, everything you needed except dies in a box. Once I learned what I was doing, I moved on to buy individual pieces and parts to improve my reloading set up. The experience taught me where to spend my money, what I really needed better and more of and what I could get by with what I had. For rifle cartridges that I'm not machine-gunning away in high volumes (like 5.56), a single stage press is just fine since I would only reload 20-60 at a time, especially during load development. If you're finding out what shoots best in your rifle/barrel/throat configuration, you'll only be loading 5~6 of each load at a time until you can test fire and check for accuracy. You don't need a progressive press to do that.
    thanks for all the wisdom guys keep it coming!!!!
    also was checking out the rockChucker kits!!!! was just thinking turret press might be better for in the future if/when i start to reload pistol calibers
    right now mainly 35 rem then will see where it go's from there
    but really leaning towerds rcbs right just there turret press is a bit more then i wanted to spend

Gunfighter
    Member #
    I bought a Lyman T-Mag 2 Turret Press Deluxe Expert Kit about five to six years ago from MidwayUSA as I wanted to start reloading my own ammo. Each time I bought a firearm I would stop by MidwayUSA and pick up a set of Lee dies in that caliber if I didn't already have them.
    About a week and a half ago I finally cleared off my work bench, it's 16'x4', and set up half the length of the bench for guns and reloading and the other half to be used as a work bench, (or storage space as my wife calls it). I got the reloading kit box of the shelf and opened it up and set up the press on the bench.
    Here's a breakdown of the kit:
    T-Mag 2 Turret Press - You can set up a combination of up to six dies, powder measure, primer, or whatever else you need on the press.
    Digital Scale - 9v battery and electrical adapter included. The digital scale that comes with it works great, read the directions and you won't have any problems.
    Case Trimmer - The case trimmer works great, again read the directions and you won't have any issues. I find trimming and case measuring to be the most boring aspect of reloading.
    Auto-primer - I thought the auto-primer sucked in this kit, and I opted for a hand primer that worked with the shell holders that came with the lee dies.
    Primer Tray - Looks like most of the others out there.
    Primer Catcher - Looks and feels cheap, but it did the job it's supposed to do.
    Deburring Tool - Hand held tool for deburring and chamfering cases.
    Powder Measure - Worked great. Read the directions. Once I set up the powder load by weighing the powder output on the scale a couple of times, it was four cranks and the cartridge was ready for the bullet. Loading the powder was a breeze.
    Powder Funnel - Haven't used it as I used the powder measure on the press, but it would be good for loading powder into bullets that you're doing special loads for.
    Case Lube Kit - Comes with case lube. Put some case lube on the pad and roll the cleaned cases around and you're ready to hit the press.
    Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook - Haven't put it down over this past week.

What I bought that the kit didn't come with five or six years ago:
    Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Case Tumbler Master Kit with Quick-N-EZ Rotary Media Separator: Includes media and bottle of brass cleaner. You will use this to make your brass cases look all bright and new.
    Frankford Arsenal Electronic 6" Caliper - To measure case length.
    Frankford Arsenal Impact Bullet Puller - You are going to definitely want to have this if you are just starting out.
    Frankford Arsenal Perfect Fit Reloading Tray #5 - Holds 50 .35 Rem Cases. I use two trays to keep me organized throughout the reloading stages.

Last week I picked up the reloading dies for the .35 Rem:
    Lee Pacesetter 3-Die Set for 35 Rem. It has 7/8"-14 threads so it will work on almost all of today's presses. It comes with a Full Length Sizing Die, Bullet Seating Die, Factory Crimp Die, Shell Holder, Powder Dipper, Load Data, & Plastic Storage Box. These dies worked great on the 200gr round nose core-lokt bullets but not the Hornady 200gr FTX bullets.

Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Bullet Seater Die for 35 Rem & Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Die Seater Stem 35 Caliber for the FTX Bullet - I had to get this die and die stem setup because I like to shoot the Hornady FTX bullets. This die setup makes reloading the FTX bullet very easy, unlike my other bullet seater die.

After getting a pound of Hodgdon LVR (LeveRevolution) powder and pulling out the box of FTX and Core-Lokt bullets I purchased from SteedGun a couple weeks ago, I went to try my luck at the art of reloading.

I have been shooting for over 35 years, but until this past week I never actually reloaded one single cartridge from start to finish by myself. My reloading setup, with the exception of the .35 Rem die sets, had been setting on the shelf for the past 5-6 years and I went with the best I could afford at the time that I purchased the kit and other items. I think I spent at the time around $500.00 or a little less for everything, not counting the dies. Out of 100 .35 Rem rounds that I reloaded, I screwed up 10-12 cases on the bullet seater die because I didn't have it set right and it messed up the necks on the cases. But after getting it setup correctly everything went fine.
    After shooting the first round that I reloaded myself this week and the bullet hit the bulls eye, (the scope had been sighted in previously for the Hornady 200gr LeveRevolution .35 Rem ammo for deer season), and I didn't blow anything up including me and the rifle, it was a good feeling.
    All remaining 80-some cartridges all worked great! I came home and did the reloading thing all over again.

I thought the Lyman kit I bought was a good deal and I still do after using it this week. I'm sure my reloading will change in the future and I may buy a Mercedes priced press instead of the Ford priced press in the future if and when this one fails, but I would recommend the press kit I bought for anyone just starting out as it came with items I actually used with the exception of the auto-primer and powder funnel, and I would recommend the accessories I purchased also, especially the bullet puller. After messing up the case necks, that bullet puller sure was handy to have to recoup the bullet and powder on those cartridges.

I can't thank the experienced reloading members on the MO forum enough for all of the information and their time they have put in on this forum so that new reloaders like myself can learn from their knowledge and their experience.

Update 12/17/2014:
    Just finished loading several .32 Win. Special cartridges and 45-70 cartridges. Used Lee Pacesetter 2-Die Set 32 Winchester Special dies for the .32 special cartridges and Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 3-Die Set 45-70 Government dies with the Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension Die Seater Stem 45 Caliber 325 Grain FTX Bullet to seat the 325gr FTX bullet for the 45-70 cartridges. The Lee dies and the Hornady dies worked great on the Lyman press. Minimum case trimming on the .32 Special once-fired cases, same on the 45-70 once-fired cases. No problems what-so-ever, from start-to-finish. The hardest part of reloading these two cartridges was finding the powder I needed. Thanks to Natchez and Bruno Shooters Supply I was able to order a variety of powders and primers for pistol cartridges and rifle cartridges. The pain in the wallet came from having to pay $28.50 in HAZMAT fees on top of shipping charges on both orders. My advice to others is when having to order your powder online, make sure you order several pounds of powder. I would have purchased the powder and primers locally, but the local gun shops have a lot of empty space on the reloading shelves and not one of them could tell me when they were getting more powder and primers in stock. They did say that it was starting to get better than it had been over the last couple of years.
    Anyways, still happy with my Lyman Reloading Kit.
    Last edited by khough; 12-17-2014 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Cartridge Update

= #201 MARLIN LEAGUE = #399 TEAM 1894 = #057 TEAM 22 MAGNUM = #1097 TEAM 30-30 = #119 TEAM .32 Special = #587 TEAM 35 = #73 TEAM 375 =
    = #351 TEAM 39 = #663 TEAM 444 = #1372 TEAM 45-70 = #167 TEAM 450 =
    #TEAM MARLIN EXPRESS = #74 TEAM SHOTGUN =
    = NRA LIFETIME MEMBER = GREEN VALLEY RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB MEMBER, HOME OF THE BIANCHI CUP CHAMPIONSHIP =

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links