I'm teaching a friend's boy how to shoot - suggestions - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: I'm teaching a friend's boy how to shoot - suggestions

Deadeye
    Member #
    Teaching a boy how to shoot, and more importantly, how to HANDLE a firearm, is both a pleasure and an honor, for that boy will one day use a firearm to protect himself, his family, or his country, almost without doubt. The many posts here cannot be added to. Consider yourself privileged to show this young man the beauty and importance of firearms, and possessing the skills to handle the, effctively and safely.
    Member Texas Levergunners
    Member #506 Team 35

For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse. Romans 1:20

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyTexas View Post
    Uh, thanks...
    It's kind of like being a golfer and teaching someone how to golf. You might be a fair to good golfer but a new student needs instruction. They need someone that can look at their technique and correct it. Not just show them how but be able to really understand the mechanics as well as the reasons behind them and adjust the mechanics to improve accuracy. We can all look at a target that says if your shooting low left you should do "X". An instructor would say move your trigger ringers just so, raise your left elbow just a bit, then X, Y, Z. Now he has more ideas.

I just remember learning to shoot and then taking my first professional class and having to unlearn and relearn the right way to do it. Lots of people can shoot. Few shoot really well and very few are really good at teaching people how to shoot really well.

You got a lot of really good advice here and I wish you the best.
    Guns don't kill people, gun free zones kill people.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikewood View Post
    It's kind of like being a golfer and teaching someone how to golf. You might be a fair to good golfer but a new student needs instruction. They need someone that can look at their technique and correct it. Not just show them how but be able to really understand the mechanics as well as the reasons behind them and adjust the mechanics to improve accuracy. We can all look at a target that says if your shooting low left you should do "X". An instructor would say move your trigger ringers just so, raise your left elbow just a bit, then X, Y, Z. Now he has more ideas.

I just remember learning to shoot and then taking my first professional class and having to unlearn and relearn the right way to do it. Lots of people can shoot. Few shoot really well and very few are really good at teaching people how to shoot really well.
    I'm going to respectfully disagree here...and as a career educator I totally get what you are saying.

But, I think interest and enthusiasm should be developed first, technique is something that can be developed once the interest is there.

Imagine if your first, your VERY first, introduction to shooting, or golf, was in some class with 19 other people having an 'instructor' explain to you the DO's and DON'Ts

Bad habits CAN be unlearned, very often you only get one chance to catch a child's interest
    TheLeo, Mikewood, a9mmfan and 1 others like this.
    Bob

Team 45-70 #635
    Team 44-40 #10

Team 1894 #219
    Team 39 #220
    Team 38-55 #33
    Team 30-30 #704

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    One thing that I have run into lately is instructors are now focusing on
    muzzle control first.
    The rationale being that whether or not the gun is verified loaded or
    not, the Muzzle needs to be in a safe direction first before checking.

Makes sense to me.
    "I don't "need" my AK47 Assault Rifle any more than Rosa Parks "needed" to sit in the front of the bus."

Team 22 Magnum! - #001
    Team Rossi - #1
    Team Winchester - #001
    Team .45/70 - #1244
    Team 1894 - #361
    Team Shotgun - #63
    Team Browning - #46
    Team 60 - #000
    Marlin League - #193

Banned
    Member #
    I made my 5 year old carry an unloaded BB rifle while we went squirrel hunting. The point being... that until he learned to never point a gun (unloaded or loaded) at a person.... he wasn't allowed to carry a loaded gun. I taught him how to work the safety.... carry positions... etc. It worked well and got the point across....

As others have mentioned... it seems the first thing they do is just swing that muzzle around everywhere... and often point it in the wrong direction.... until they learn better.

I was so proud when he finally picked up the .22, aimed it all by himself... and hit the target. Dang I was proud.
    cthulhufan and Condition 1 like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I taught my kids safety first then how to take apart and put the guns back together
    as well as clean them. This was when they were 6-7 years old.
    They did not get to shoot them until years later.

Their mother didn't want them shooting rifles not even 22LR.
    "I don't "need" my AK47 Assault Rifle any more than Rosa Parks "needed" to sit in the front of the bus."

Team 22 Magnum! - #001
    Team Rossi - #1
    Team Winchester - #001
    Team .45/70 - #1244
    Team 1894 - #361
    Team Shotgun - #63
    Team Browning - #46
    Team 60 - #000
    Marlin League - #193

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Condition 1 View Post
    I taught my kids safety first then how to take apart and put the guns back together
    as well as clean them. This was when they were 6-7 years old.
    They did not get to shoot them until years later.

Their mother didn't want them shooting rifles not even 22LR.
    This appeals to me for some reason. I have had the pleasure of introducing others to shooting and I have torn the things down and put them back together.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links