XL7 and savage barrel
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tomray

Thread: XL7 and savage barrel

Tenderfoot
    Member #

XL7 and savage barrel

I know that this subject has been run around a few times, but....

im thinking seriously about re-barreling my XL7. there are accuracy issues and the next step for me is a new barrel. i found a 90% takeoff from a model 110 for around $75

thoughts?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Welcome from SC.

Excuse my ignorance - what's a 90% take off barrel?

Contributing Member
    Member #
    While I don't understand the term "90% take off barrel" either, and while I have no idea what it would take to fit a Savage barrel to the Marlin XL receiver, if you think you have accuracy issues it would be far easier to find out why.........

Is it head space? .....Is the Barrel Nut tight?.....The bore itself ?....Slug the Barrel!......The way the barrel is supported in the Stock?...... A warped Stock?............The type of load your using?...........If Hand Loads, how are they put together dimensionally?.............Shooting technique?......Bench, Bags or Rest?

If I recall, the XL stock supports the barrel at only ONE point out at 6:00 O'clock at the end of the Forearm..............

Easier and better to work with parts that are designed to work with one another, than to introduce a different manufacturer's production barrel to the mix..............

That's how I would approach this problem............Others may have different ideas...........

Tom
    Last edited by Tomray; 07-13-2019 at 06:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    CuMelter likes this.
    NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I don't know what a 90% take off barrel is either. I would look at threads in the X7 section of this forum. Others have done the Savage/Marlin X7 barrel swap but I know there is some machining/barrel fitting/head space matching to be done for this to work.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Wrangler
    Member #
    I would buy that barrel (relative to whatever you meant by 90%), locate another Savage 110 receiver with accu-trigger and bolt, change the bolt face (simple to do) to whatever the caliber of the barrel chamber is, buy a McMillan stock and build a new and now custom Savage 110. Savages are simple for the beginner to customize and assemble...as long as you have the barrel nut wrench, soft jaw vice or a real barrel vice, and the proper head space go-no-go gauges.

If not, I refer you to Tomray's post.
    The Flag my father Earned so we could all see it wave.
    Team .45/70 #1879
    Team 1894 #575

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    a "90% barrel" is a rating system. 90% or better shape. the one i got looks new, no sign of wear. i guess there is some relative opinion when giving the percentage but it worked for me.
    it is a "take off" meaning that someone upgraded to an aftermarket barrel on their savage 110 and this was taken off the gun.
    to tomray: i have had this firearm for 3 years. it has been through every type of amo i can find, i have done a new stock from Boyds and is floated, did the metal trigger guard and torqued as per this forum, is on its 3rd scope, this last one shoots well on one of my other guns. the other two were untested but brand new.
    i have shot it freehand, on bags and on a sled, dont matter. others have shot it and it does the same for them.
    the actual problem is that after a good cleaning, at 100 yards, the first shot and maybe the second are really good. after that, 8" spread. no matter what you do. i have read the other threads here and this problem is what others have described and re-barreling is how they seem to fix the problem.
    I did a lot of reading after this post, i guess i kinda did that backwards.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Muril View Post
    .... i have done a new stock from Boyds and is floated, did the metal trigger guard and torqued as per this forum, is on its 3rd scope, this last one shoots well on one of my other guns. the other two were untested but brand new.
    i have shot it freehand, on bags and on a sled, dont matter. others have shot it and it does the same for them.
    the actual problem is that after a good cleaning, at 100 yards, the first shot and maybe the second are really good. after that, 8" spread. no matter what you do. i have read the other threads here and this problem is what others have described and re-barreling is how they seem to fix the problem.
    I did a lot of reading after this post, i guess i kinda did that backwards.
    You've got a bedding problem first and foremost. Re-barreling will not solve your problem with grouping. If you've never bedded an action, I would suggest you study GunBlue's steps for bedding any kind of bolt action-
    Part One-

Continue examining Part Two of his bedding series

You may have a barrel that does NOT prefer to be floated...but your report of eight inch groups in clearly a tell-tale sign of improper bedding of the action first, bad torque values on the action screws second, barrel node pressures third, and lastly, proper shooting setup and techniques.

From the videos above, one must fully understand that it is of vital importance that you remove the correct areas of the action recesses ONLY, and follow what GunBlue shows you TO THE LETTER. Far too many bedding videos found on YTube that simply show the viewing audience the absolute INCORRECT way to go about bedding a bolt action to a stock.

I would suggest putting the factory stock back on the barreled action, torque the rear action screw first TTY (torque to yield ONLY)..then torque the front action screw to 30 inch pounds ONLY. Tell us if you've made any changes to the factory stock's barrel channel before we proceed with further trouble-shooting and any (if needed) adjustments to be made to the Boyds stock.

I happen to have a JM XS7 in 243 that is simply a nail driver, and a Rem XL7 in 3006 recently purchased this month. The '06 factory stock needed some slight attention to its barrel channel, but once the symmetry was restored, leaving the foreend contact reliefs intact, she'll do sub-moa with Federal Fusion and Hornady Whitetails. Since I have to desire to take med-lrg game out past 200 yards, I won't even bother with reloading.

So, read carefully, and tell us more about your X7 with its factory stock. Lets see what she does as Marlin produced her. From there, we can go forward, and then focus on the Boyd's stock and what we must do to correct this issue.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links