Adding Iron Sights? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Adding Iron Sights?

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Wow this looks great. How did you do this. I want to do the same. Must I take it to a gunsmith?

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I've not done a Marlin BA with sights but have done many others. I have had Williams ramps put on several rifles. I usually fit the sight
    and have my smith silver solder them. I also have used the ramps with band and set screw. Back sights I have D&Ted in most cases.
    The rears off post 64 Win 70s and Ruger 77s are my favorite. I really don't do a lot of rears. I put fronts on to use with reciever sights.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    For the very rare occasion you may have scope trouble, have a spare cheaper model scope in another set of rings and shot in so that you can switch over is better than mucking around with irons that your eyes will struggle with more and more as you get older, if you ever get to use the irons that is.
    Then you want a switch barrel, are you setting that up with irons too?
    Apart from my DG rifle I don't have irons on any other rifles and I drive to my hunting places in a modern 4WD utility truck not a Model A. You gotta enjoy and rely on technology sometime

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Thanks for sharing the links,I think I will put a iron sight on my Rossi .44 Mag.
    Team Marlin 1895 CB 45/70 # 1869, Team Browning # 148
    Team Marlin 336W 30/30 # 1392,
    Team Shotgun # 124
    Team Wheelguns # 109,
    Team Semi Auto # 73,Team Old Pharts # 378
    Team Rossi 92 .44 Mag 38 Spl/357 Mag. # 83 Team 60 # 477
    Team Henry GB .22 LR # 134,Team Henry .22 Mag # 175

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I'm planning on rebarreling my XL to either 323 or 338, and I have a spare pair of magnum sights ready to be installed. Having a long yearning for a walk-about rifle strong enough for bear, I won't bother with mounting a scope on this rifle. Have considered using a Rem700 rear sight as another option, I like the look of the Rem over my Win mag sights.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    A rifle for serious purposes should have back up iron sights. Stuff happens.
    tranteruk, rob42049 and mrmike7189 like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ironhead7544 View Post
    A rifle for serious purposes should have back up iron sights. Stuff happens.
    I agree, very much so. Another 'back up' option would be a cheap dot sight. With so many cheap and light ones available, you could simply keep it handy incase of scope or mount failure. However rare that might be, dont think it cant happen. Just need to ensure its sighted to the rifle.

Pretty much anything made by man can be broke.
    rob42049 likes this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I have several sets of iron sights in my extras collection. They are Remington 700 all steel adjustable rear and steel ramp front. Bought them for $15 a set from a gunsmith who didn't want them. All steel is the way to go. Aluminum sights don't do it for me. I have a bolt rifle that got carried in a scabbard, and both sights are held on with screws. I had that gunsmith drill and tap the holes with his jig. Then I silver soldered them on, too. Had it bead blasted and matte blued. Those sights will never come off even if the horse rolls down a mountain , bends the barrel, and crushes me.

If you do choose to install irons, make sure your gunsmith has the jig that gets the holes drilled and tapped dead center at 12 O'clock.
    Last edited by rob42049; 07-14-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    tranteruk and CuMelter like this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Couldn't agree more. I just 'won' a Rem700 rear sight assembly yesterday, complete w/screws...wondering if I need a matching front sight rem style or will my Win70 front suffice.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    It's been a few moons since I posted on this thread, so I'll update. The XL7 in a Boyds Nutmeg stock that I had posted years ago is gone. I ended up giving that rifle to a friend back in Montana. I was hoping he'd become a hunter and therefor a future hunting partner. You can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. Another story for another day.
    Anyways, I have a Ruger M77 chambered in 300 mag and with that rifle sitting next to my Marlin 30-06, I felt that too much redundancy. I had a notion of a different variation of the Marlin 30-06 XL7, so that made it easier to give away my first one.
    Here is a pic of my preferred set up
    P7150055 (2).JPG
    P7150045 (2).JPG
    P7150048 (2).JPG
    P7150047 (2).JPG
    That is a 20" barrel with NECG sights. It's sitting in a Boyd's Maple stock. This rifle handles nicer than my previous XL7 30-06. I have a matching rifle that is a 243, but it is wrapped in camo tape at the moment.
    bryan alder and CuMelter like this.
    Oh...Give me a home where the buffalo roam and the deer and antelope play.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links