Twisted point of view. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Twisted point of view.

Site Contributor - Team Marlin Express Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #
    Call Marlin First and see what they will do.
    IN MEMORY OF PFC JEFFREY ALAN AVERY, 571st MP CO, KILLED IN ACTION 23 APR 07, AGE 19, MUQUDADIYAH, IRAQ.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Well I put the X7 up for a bit while I got married and built an AR pistol for kicks. So after free floating the barrel I finally prepared myself for a day of frustration at the range. I set my Simmons WTC scope to factory zero, set up at 25 yards, and sent my first round down range. First hit four inches low and right on center. HOT D&MN! I backed up to 50 yards moved my elevation up 6 clicks (1.5 MOA) and tried again. Second hit 2.5" low and 0.5" right. Ok, I'm still doing good. Stepped back to 100 with no adjustment and fired away. Elevation was "dead nuts" and I was about 3" right. Adjusted windage 3 MOA, shot number 4 hit 1" left of center, but I may have pulled it a touch. So two clicks right and BANG dead center bullseye! I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!

Now the best group I pulled on factory ammo was about 2.5 MOA. I went ahead and shot up what I had on hand. Then tried some "stab in the dark" reloads I made 150gr Sierra Matchkings loaded with Reloader-15 at 36.8gr, 37.1gr, 37.4gr, 37.7gr, and 38.0gr. I got my best results (still only about 1.5 MOA) with the 38.0gr. I'm going to test from 38.3gr-39.5gr of RL-15 next. I also have some Hornady 154gr pills to try and some Sierra 140gr MKs. Aside from Varget since its impossible to find, and any I can get is dedicated to one if my ARs what powders have people tried? Also what bullet weights I'd like to make the 150s or 154s work since my 7mmRM seems to like them as well.
    Focus, exhale, squeeze, BANG

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MAG-Jr View Post
    Well I put the X7 up for a bit while I got married and built an AR pistol for kicks. So after free floating the barrel I finally prepared myself for a day of frustration at the range. I set my Simmons WTC scope to factory zero, set up at 25 yards, and sent my first round down range. First hit four inches low and right on center. HOT D&MN! I backed up to 50 yards moved my elevation up 6 clicks (1.5 MOA) and tried again. Second hit 2.5" low and 0.5" right. Ok, I'm still doing good. Stepped back to 100 with no adjustment and fired away. Elevation was "dead nuts" and I was about 3" right. Adjusted windage 3 MOA, shot number 4 hit 1" left of center, but I may have pulled it a touch. So two clicks right and BANG dead center bullseye! I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!

Now the best group I pulled on factory ammo was about 2.5 MOA. I went ahead and shot up what I had on hand. Then tried some "stab in the dark" reloads I made 150gr Sierra Matchkings loaded with Reloader-15 at 36.8gr, 37.1gr, 37.4gr, 37.7gr, and 38.0gr. I got my best results (still only about 1.5 MOA) with the 38.0gr. I'm going to test from 38.3gr-39.5gr of RL-15 next. I also have some Hornady 154gr pills to try and some Sierra 140gr MKs. Aside from Varget since its impossible to find, and any I can get is dedicated to one if my ARs what powders have people tried? Also what bullet weights I'd like to make the 150s or 154s work since my 7mmRM seems to like them as well.
    I have great luck with Reloader17 with the 150gr SMK. RL17 should push those out much faster. I was sub-MOA with loads close to max. Not much data on the combo, but I worked up from about 42 grains and max would be about 47 grains.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Cool thanks I will have to acquire some RL-17 I've only got 10x, 12, 15, and AR-COMP right now.

ntg
    Sidewinder
    Member #
    Mag, Keep us posted...I have a 7mm-08 that I need to get back to. Any load development tips is always welcomed. Thanks!

Tinhorn
    Member #
    It's hard for me to believe the problem is the stock also, at least not the whole problem. What is the grouping? If it groups good at 12" left it's most likely the scope is not in line with the bore. The action may not be drilled and tapped in line with the bore, in which case an adjustable mount will solve the issue. Normally if it's a stock issue the grouping walks in one direction as the barrel heats up.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    It was definitely the stock it's better now that I floated the barrel. Now I just gotta work up a load I'm grouping about 2.5 MOA on factory amo which is fine for a hunting rifle but I am gonna try to do better. My bbl AR just shot a .394" 5 shot group at 100 yards that's what I want for this gun too

Sidewinder
    Member #
    i don,t know if you have the heavy bll or not but if so i have a new stock i just took off of a x7vh
    ]A Free People Ought.... to be armed !

George Washington 1790

They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety. --Benjamin Franklin

\

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    No it's the stainless sporter I think I'm gonna pick up a Boyd's for it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links