• 6 Post By kingstrider
  • 6 Post By Shark Bait
  • 1 Post By rob42049
  • 1 Post By buckeyeshooter

Thread: Pre Remington 1894 Quality

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Pre Remington 1894 Quality

I've spent most of this evening reading the various rants here. Back around 2006 I bought an 1894 in .41 Magnum. When I got it I noticed the bolt was not flush to the rear of the receiver when closed as the .357 or 32-20 1894's I had owned were. Everything else was okay, just the bolt issue. I guessed that the barrel had been installed just a bit too far. I eventually sold it to a friend of a friend who wanted to give it to the mutual friend as a retirement gift.
    I mention this rifle because it had what is considered a Remlin issue before Remington took over. All those "JM"s weren't perfect either.
    Team .30-30 #298
    Team .32spl #157

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Some were were worse than "less than perfect" I have a 45 colt CBL that bore goes .454 of with a rasp file finished bore and the butstock fit is poor. Oh the seer was so warped I replaced it.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I started buying 336's and 1894's 50 years ago, and there's more than a bit of truth in what you're saying. Beginning in the mid-to-late '70's there was a slow but notable decline in the finished quality of Marlin leveractions. While it's rare to find one with a flaw so bad that it is unreliable or unsafe, things like uneven finish, horrible triggers, rough actions and poorly-fit wood became more and more common right up until the time Remington bought them out. No question, the way Remington went about the acquisition --- essentially firing the employees and uprooting the entire operation to move it to NY -- exacerbated the quality problems, but they existed and were slowly getting worse before the buy-out. As a rule of thumb, the older a pre-Remington 336 or 1894 is, the better its quality. But if the one you happen to be looking at dates from later than the mid-to-late-'60's, then an extra-close pre-purchase examination is in order.
    gunscrewguy and Travlin like this.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Not arguing that there are some JM guns that have issues but of the 20+ 1984's I have owned nearly all have a bolt that sits slightly past the receiver. Not really sure what the rant is but this seems like a normal finding to me.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    Not arguing that there are some JM guns that have issues but of the 20+ 1984's I have owned nearly all have a bolt that sits slightly past the receiver. Not really sure what the rant is but this seems like a normal finding to me.
    I'm not sure that I've ever seen a flat bolt Marlin that did not protrude some. This is a pre WWII 1936.

-Very Concerned NRA Life Member (Get it together NRA!)
    -S&W Revolver Nerd
    -Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation
    -Smith & Wesson Collectors Association

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    The bolt protruding slightly past the end of the receiver is normal, you'll find it on Marlins dating back to the 1890's. Did the OP take a reading with a headspace gauge? Unless a headspace check was performed, there's not enough info here to determine if in fact anything was wrong with the 1894 .41 Mag in question. Since the barrel and receiver threads were machined to be timed so the sights aligned at 12 o'clock, chances that the barrel was installed too far are extremely slim. If the sights were at aligned 12 and the headspace was correct, there's nothing to this rant.
    Last edited by rob42049; 05-21-2020 at 08:05 AM.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I bought mine in 1984, having fired thousands, maybe over a hundred thousand from mine, it has always worked just fine.
    rob42049 likes this.
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    All that you do not like, just replace !!!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links