1894; 357 Factory Barrel Threading is Crooked
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: 1894; 357 Factory Barrel Threading is Crooked

Tenderfoot
    Member #

1894; 357 Factory Barrel Threading is Crooked

I have a NEW 1894 in 357 Magnum. It comes with a Factory Threaded Barrel and XS Sights.
    The little rifle is GREAT. Its handy and quick to work the action. Smooth as butter and Accurate
    inside of 100 yards.
    Yesterday we screwed down our Liberty Mystic Suppressor and we could not hit the target at 50 yards.
    It took us several shots to realize that the gun was shooting far to the right of the target.
    We brought the target back in to 20 yards and the shift from zero to impact was 10.5 inches. We
    were convinced that the shift in impact was from the Suppressor thinking that it was striking one
    or more of the baffles. Close inspection revealed that only the end cap of the suppressor was slightly
    grazed by several bullets. There was NO obvious damage of signs that the bullets were striking the baffle.
    After watching Liberty Suppressor's videos about warranty work and FAQ about baffle strikes I returned to
    the range and went over everything on both the rifle and the suppressor.
    Thinking the suppressor was crooked, I contacted Liberty Suppressors and they promptly issued me
    a Product Return Authorization. Today I returned to the range to simply evaluate the suppressor mounting
    hardware and the pistol and rifle mounts. Because I watched (and paid attention) to Liberty Suppressor's
    video about warranty work....I was looking examine the most frequent culprits that cause baffle strikes.
    With the Mystic mounted on my Glock pistol, My shots were straight and true, however when mounted on my
    Marlin 1894 My shots landed approximately 10.5 inches to the right of zero at 20 yards. Everything was tight
    After removing the suppressor, I could see that the shoulder of the threaded barrel was not square with the threads.

Now I am wondering if Marlin will fix this......or if I should trust Marlin to fix it at all. After all they are the ones who
    cut these threads crooked to begin with.

If anyone has any experience with Marlin repair / warranty work please let me know how your experience was with them.
    IF anyone has any experience with threading your 1894 barrel please let me know .

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    That is one horrible threading job. If you send that back they will most likely replace the barrel and that could give other issues. If it were mine I would just get it recut by a competent firm. Adco does good work. You might give them a call and see if they could fix it.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Yet another QC issue to inspect on Marlins.

That said, experience tells me to move this thread to the Marlin Rant Forum.

OP, you could certainly return it to Marlin for repair but there is no telling what condition your rifle will return as. For that reason, I have to agree with M1Riflenut's advise of finding a competent gun smith to do the work correctly.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    That is certainly disappointing, to invest those kinds of $$$'s and have shoddy workmanship. I hope you can get it resolved. The reality is, you should get a new rifle - no questions asked! I would go back to the dealer where you purchased it and ask him to advocate with the distributor or manufacturer for resolution, especially if they value your local business. We have a LGS that is part of a sizable chain (30 stores) and they would return it and give you a new rifle, no questions asked.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
    That is one horrible threading job. If you send that back they will most likely replace the barrel and that could give other issues. If it were mine I would just get it recut by a competent firm. Adco does good work. You might give them a call and see if they could fix it.
    You cannot fix that without lopping off the threaded portion on a lathe. They have to index to the bore centerline then cut off the end square then turn down to proper diameter for the thread size. Then the trick is starting the thread die square. They could still botch the job if the die is started crooked.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I don't know...hard to tell but the threaded portion appears on-center.

Shouldn't the suppressor be tightened against a jam nut and not the shoulder of the barrel?
    Last edited by paulo57509; 03-07-2020 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Terminology
    doubloon likes this.
    Team 1894 #126 (44-40)
    Team .45-70 #442 (Model 1895CB)
    Team Wheelguns #25
    Team Semi-Auto #14

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    ::double post:: weird
    Team 1894 #126 (44-40)
    Team .45-70 #442 (Model 1895CB)
    Team Wheelguns #25
    Team Semi-Auto #14

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo57509 View Post
    I don't know...hard to tell but the threaded portion appears on-axis.

Shouldn't the suppressor be tightened against a jam nut and not the shoulder of the barrel?
    This. It's hard to tell but the shoulder at the base of the threads may be square with the threads and the bore.

The threads and the shoulder may actually be in line with the bore, can tell from this picture.

The only way you'll know for sure is mount the suppressor and look down the bore (iffy on a crooked barrel) or check it with an alignment rod which would be the more reliable method.

Alignment rods can be purchased at places like Brownell's.

If it is actually crooked then the only way to fix it is to chop or replace the barrel as cowboy says. The barrel is not serialized so replacing it is a viable option.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by paulo57509 View Post
    I don't know...hard to tell but the threaded portion appears on-center.

You can test if the threaded portion is square with a precision ground bore rod just like what we do when we mount Flash Supressors on the M1A. We have a 30 cal precision centerless ground bore rod that is 12 inches long and insert it into the bore. Then we mount the flash supressor and check to see that the sides do not contact the rod as we tighten the castle nut. This is what Marlin should be doing but I don't think they are doing that.
    doubloon, Travlin and gunscrewguy like this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Remlin strikes again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links