Remlinized - The story of my 1895CB
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree338Likes

Thread: Remlinized - The story of my 1895CB

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Remlinized - The story of my 1895CB (pictures added)

I purchased the rifle in October 2019 (03KN date code-May 2019) and after a bit of work cleaning up the action it was nice, smooth and fun to shoot. At this point I started heading down the rabbit hole of upgrades. A RPP lever and mag tube follower were the first items followed by a RPP peep sight. That's when the fun began.....the peep was supposed to help my accuracy improve but it was worse. Then I noticed it felt like something was "loose" when I transitioned rapidly from one steel silhouette to another. Sure enough, by hold the stock firmly in place and grabbing the end of the barrel I could see movement between the receiver and barrel.....WTH?
    Pretty sure that's not the way it should be so I call Marlin and get a service request ticket going and shipping label back to the factory.They advised me to remove any accessories I had installed and low and behold when I remove the magazine tube to reinstall the factory follower I find that I can spin the barrel right off the receiver .
    Now with the barrel hand tight to the receiver the top flat is past the point of lining up with top flat of the receiver. It appears to me that whoever assembled it decided to use the front scope mount fill screw to hold the barrel snug instead of getting one that would time correctly with the receiver. When I installed the RPP peep I mounted it in the forward position and in doing so removed the one screw used to keep the barrel in place..... The fact that someone would allow a rifle to leave the factory like this is unsettling and potentially dangerous. Now I have to sit and wait for Marlin to assess the rifle and decide on a course of action and I'm not at all happy.
    The rifle is on it's way back to Marlin and we'll see how they decide to handle the situation. I'll post updates as they occur.
    Last edited by gimebakmybulits; 02-14-2020 at 03:16 AM.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    The cell building your rifle wouldn't have made the daily quota if they had stopped to fix your problem. They let the return dept take care those issues.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Took a step back to 2011.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I've heard of some poor examples but that one takes the cake! I can see why you wouldn't be real happy! Hope they get it sorted out for you, and quick.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Wow that sucks. They will probably send you a new rifle so I hope you did remove all the after market parts. Like Waffletop said quota over quality.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Waffletop;8171489]The cell building your rifle wouldn't have made the daily quota if they had stopped to fix your problem. They let the return dept take care those issues....if the buyer survives after shooting it and is able to file a complaint and mail the rifle back..........
    There I corrected your statement.........LOL

OP you're actually a very lucky man...you're not injured and you're still alive.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

God, Guns, and Guts Made America Free.

At Any Cost Keep All Three !

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    thank god you were not hurt!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Deleted
    Last edited by Waffletop; 02-13-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    rob42049 and Sambane like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Not a good situation. Too bad to receive a gun such a glaring and safety related issue.
    Sambane, miket156 and gunscrewguy like this.
    ​~ Mike <*)(((((>{
    Projects: 44-40 Restore , DIY Case Annealer
    Captain Team Shotgun, Captain Handgun Team Semi-Auto
    Teams 30-30, 45-70, 35 Rem, 44-40, Wheelguns

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Lever Jac View Post
    They will probably send you a new rifle so I hope you did remove all the after market parts.
    Here in CA, this means a new serial, another $75 FFL fee, another $40 background check fee, another $25 safety course fee (if yours is expired) and another 10-day waiting period.

Stoeger wanted to do this to me on when my new Coach gun broke the barrel lug after the 12th shell.
    I told them this happens far too often, and just send me a refund.
    And they did.

I will be needing another lever rifle, but in 44 mag.
    I really do like my 1894CB in 357, but I will probably get the Uberti '73 even though it does not come with the octagon barrel.
    Life NRA Member; Annual GOA Member, VCDL Member, SASS #108882
    "When I'm dead, I hope my wife doesn't sell my toys for what I told her I paid for them."
    Marlin 1894CB, Ruger SASS and Bisley Vaqueros, Bisley Single-Six, Charles Daly 500, Henry Frontier

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links