Just looked at some Remlin 336’s at Cabelas
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
Like Tree143Likes

Thread: Just looked at some Remlin 336’s at Cabelas



  1. #1
    Sidewinder
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    194
    Member #
    19570
    Thanked
    201 times

    Just looked at some Remlin 336’s at Cabelas

    Its been a while since I looked at some Remlin 336 lever actions so I decided to go to Cabelas to take a look at some. Well, I did not like what I saw. You would think they had enough time to figure out how to build a nice looking lever action by now. I purchased a 336BL manufactured July 2013 and it put every one of the newer Remlins to shame. The stocks look cheap. The serial numbers on the side with the small emblem or what ever it’s called can be used to file your finger nails. What is going on? Is Remington starting to cut costs again? The stocks look so poor that i can honestly say they are the worst looking stocks I’ve seen on a Remlin.
    The only good looking one I’ve seen was a few months ago. The light colored maple 336. But, the serial numbers, and that emblem. Come on, that’s the best they can do? I guess I’m lucky what I have. We don’t need a nail file on the side of our firearms. I hope something can be done to make a better looking Lever Action.
    Well, I feel better, I had to get it out and talk about it. My apologies everyone.
    Last edited by hwew; 01-18-2020 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Typo

  2. #2
    Wrangler
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Midcoast Maine
    Posts
    272
    Member #
    139125
    Thanked
    595 times
    They should leave the checkering off. I would think that would be one less step and a cost saver.

  3. #3
    Sidewinder
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    194
    Member #
    19570
    Thanked
    201 times
    That would help some. The stocks I saw looked very rough. I’ve seen stocks on cheap rifles look better than the ones I looked at. I guess If you want a halfway decent looking stock you have to buy a premium rifle. But years back Marlin had decent stocks on entry level rifles.

    Ether do the checkering right or don’t do it at all. And, do a better sanding job and at least apply enough coats and sand between coats to fill grain on the stock.
    gunscrewguy and Cowboy23* like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    1,971
    Member #
    56681
    Thanked
    6852 times
    Quote Originally Posted by phwebster View Post
    They should leave the checkering off. I would think that would be one less step and a cost saver.
    I really believe if they left off that "checkering" and offered smooth stocks they would probably sell more. I check them often as I'm in gunshops every week and while quality has improved some, there are still plenty of bones in the racks. I won't shell out the money they want for them when there are plenty of JM guns available in great shape for less than the new ones, and sometimes much less. I did see a new 444 though and that one looked real nice except for the laser etched QR code on the side. Nothing says "classic rifle" like having a laser etched QR code burned into the side of the receiver LOL. They even did some models with fancy engraving (probably laser etched too) and when they get the design down to the QR code, they just go around it!

    roadpaint.jpg
    hwew, Travlin, 256WinMag and 8 others like this.

  6. #5
    Gunfighter
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    877
    Member #
    56896
    Thanked
    1693 times
    I know I've said it before on this forum, but the checkering I have seen on the Remlins I have inspected is far the worse I've seen.

    The last one I handled at a gun show had the tips of the diamonds flaking off. It was a mess of splinters.

    The matt finish on the stocks is also terrible in my opinion.
    Prickle Farmer

  7. #6
    Certified Gunnut
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tampa Bay area central Fl
    Posts
    4,171
    Member #
    28699
    Thanked
    7599 times
    They really don't care or at least it should be obvious by now. They know that some poor uneducated fool will think "Oh boy I always wanted a Marlin and maybe this are one" and will buy it.

  8. #7
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    s.w.pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,259
    Member #
    31283
    Thanked
    3204 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Prickle Farmer View Post
    I know I've said it before on this forum, but the checkering I have seen on the Remlins I have inspected is far the worse I've seen.

    The last one I handled at a gun show had the tips of the diamonds flaking off. It was a mess of splinters.

    The matt finish on the stocks is also terrible in my opinion.
    The checkering needs to be left off if they can't get it right. The ones I have looked at are so bad that it would be a chore to try to straighten the lines and point the diamonds up with a checkering tool.

  9. #8
    Certified Gunnut
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    America's Dairyland
    Posts
    5,636
    Member #
    31919
    Thanked
    20794 times
    The only conclusion I can reach is that Remington doesn’t care.
    NRA Life Member

  10. #9
    Gun Wizard
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    2,747
    Member #
    81
    Thanked
    1430 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hwew View Post
    Its been a while since I looked at some Remlin 336 lever actions so I decided to go to Cabelas to take a look at some. Well, I did not like what I saw. You would think they had enough time to figure out how to build a nice looking lever action by now. I purchased a 336BL manufactured July 2013 and it put every one of the newer Remlins to shame. The stocks look cheap. The serial numbers on the side with the small emblem or what ever it’s called can be used to file your finger nails. What is going on? Is Remington starting to cut costs again? The stocks look so poor that i can honestly say they are the worst looking stocks I’ve seen on a Remlin.
    The only good looking one I’ve seen was a few months ago. The light colored maple 336. But, the serial numbers, and that emblem. Come on, that’s the best they can do? I guess I’m lucky what I have. We don’t need a nail file on the side of our firearms. I hope something can be done to make a better looking Lever Action.
    Well, I feel better, I had to get it out and talk about it. My apologies everyone.
    If you really want to see night and day, compare it to my 1951 336 A that my father bought new. No comparison!
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

  11. #10
    Distinguished Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    North Central, PA
    Posts
    6,649
    Member #
    43433
    Thanked
    15329 times

    Exclamation

    I gave up on Remington Outdoors. Awhile back Bob Gretchen had a Remington Rep on his program and he was bragging how well their Custom Shop was doing. He evaded the questions Bob was asking him about their problems and never answered the questions. Bob was gentle with him, but he had no answers.

    After all the years they've been at it, you would of thought they could iron out their QC problems. NADA.

    Grice Gun Shop in Clearfield PA is the largest Gun Dealer in my home State. I am surprised that they still sell a lot of Remington Rifles. But they are not selling Marlins. They have an entire page of their quarterly printed flyer dedicated to Henry Rifles. Their prices are competitive and they stock most models they can get their hands on.

    Remington Outdoors


    Mike T.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)


Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •