Indicator of Progress? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Indicator of Progress?

Wrangler
    Member #
    Perhaps the decline in rants is because those that buy Remlins now don’t know realize how poor the quality is as compared to the older JM version. They may think the problems they experience are normal, especially if their Remlin is a first gun purchase. Those buyers may not know of the Rem buyout of Marlin and may not know of this or other forums to share their problems, especially if they think the problems are somewhat normal....
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."

Henry Ford

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Probably a combination of a slight improvement in quality, and discerning customers just stopped trying to buy Remlins and instead bought JM marked guns.

I fall in that category. If I want a lever, I don't even look at new ones. Lots of older ones around, and they aren't prohibitively expensive, so why would I even look at a new one?
    Waffletop likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Walmart, Cabela's and Bass Pro regularly stock Marlins although a very limited selection of models. Most LGS's got sick of the complaints and having to return so many defective rifles that they stopped carrying new Marlins.
    shawlerbrook likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor & Team 444 Co-Captain Super Moderator
    Member #
    Just so you all know ......03-25-10 was when we opened this forum.....at the rate Remington is going they might bring a full line up back by 2030
    TO ARMS!!
    Team 444 Co-Captain
    Member #168 1994 444SS
    "The only chance you get to do it right....is the first time."

There are Rules...Read Them!! CYA.....Cover your ass!
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...ite-rules.html

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    Have they returned to heat treating parts that were traditionally heat treated for decades?

If not, that alone is a deal killer for me.

One thing that would help, and save money is to skip the particle board, granola looking checkering. Smooth, like the real deals.

AC

AC, according to my contact in Marlin tech, they always heat treated internals. He sent me a parts list they heat treat. I think the problem was that Remington/FG corporate board only cared about quarterly profit reports, QC be dammed and used their customers as beta testers while they worked out their heat treating process. Consequently, we heard many rants regarding poorly HT internals which seems to have greatly diminished. But Remington paid for that time period of burning customers and consequently went BK.

I'll admit that Remington has greatly improved over the years but I've stated many times, I'm a picky fellow and I'm used to JM Marlins beautiful checkering, fine metal finishing and deep blue finish. For me to open my wallet on a new Marlin, Remington would need to step up the quality of checkering, metal finish and dump the ugly black for a blue finish.

That said, I believe all of us mods are more than happy to see less, of what I dubbed the JM/remlin divide, that caused entirely too much strife on MO. It's a hell of a lot better than it was but we still see Remington putting out lemons now and then. I believe we can all agree that the days of finely crafted firearms, offered at a working mans budget, are pretty much a thing of the past.

Jack
    Last edited by JACKTW; 12-31-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Remington made really nice guns back in the Dupont days.

I haven't been impressed with any of the newer stuff I've looked at, except maybe some of the wood I bought on clearance from Numrich and the Remington Country store.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Decline of rant post is most likely due to people being educated by our Marlin Rant on what to check for before buying. How and what to test and inspect----I rememember in our rant forum we had a 10 point list of items to check. The fact that the Rant post have gone down is more of a testament to our great Rant Forum educating perspective buyers on all the issues found on Remlins.
    Mr Fixit likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links