Loading Gate issue
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Loading Gate issue

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Loading Gate issue

I purchased a new 1894 Marlin .44 Magnum several days ago. I examined the rifle at the store before purchase and did not notice this issue, but probably overlooked. The problem I have with the .44 Magnum is the loading gate (spring) doesn't seem to fit correctly. This may be an aesthetics issue or by design, but so far, it hasn't affected function. It's not flush with the port and doesn't look right. The pointed ends appear to be a little too long and are catching on both inside edges of the forward loading port. In other words, the gate/spring is not flush with the outside of the of the port. The rear part of the gate/spring has a very small gap, around 1/32" from the receiver.. Yep...I checked the gate spring screw tightness and it's fine..I have attached a jpg that may help illustrate the issue or non issue.

I have 3 other Marlins lever guns and each has a flush or nearly flush gate/spring with the outside receiver loading port. I've worked on my firearms for 50+ years and will have no problem repairing or replacing the gate, but not going to fix it if it ain't broke. (Yeah, the possible warranty void doesn't bother me at all.) The rifle functions perfectly, loading, chambering and ejection. My issue is that it doesn't appear to be fitted right and looks sloppy. This being my first lever Marlin in .44 Magnum, I'm not sure if this is just a sloppy fit or made this way for function. Marlin lever guns ain't what they used to be.

Inked18952_LI xx(1).jpg

Ideas and comments welcomed. Thanks.
    lever30 and gunscrewguy like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I’d try loosening the screw and readjusting it then retightening it.
    lever30 and 256WinMag like this.
    Team 45-70: #1110
    Team 30-30: #1080
    Team 1894: #521

Contributing Member
    Member #
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    94win30wcf and lever30 like this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

"Straight Outta Dixieland"

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlinManCB45/70 View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Agreed..but it looks sloppy as Hades.😈..Figure I'll shoot it some and if I don't get a satisfactory reply from Marlin, I'll get another one from Brownells or other supplier and one cold, rainy day I'll see if I can improve the fit and looks. Anyone got a Marlin after market supplier?
    Marlinjunkie likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JR233 View Post
    Agreed..but it looks sloppy as Hades.��..Figure I'll shoot it some and if I don't get a satisfactory reply from Marlin, I'll get another one from Brownells or other supplier and one cold, rainy day I'll see if I can improve the fit and looks. Anyone got a Marlin after market supplier?
    *Whatever* "targets" you're shootin' at ,ain't gonna see it or know how that loading gate looks..............guns are fer shootin' , not just lookin' at.
    94win30wcf and jim716 like this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the N.C. Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Sunday, Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

"Straight Outta Dixieland"

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    But if its sloppy and I can fix it, Ill make it purty, purty, purty. Just wondering if anyone has a 94 .44maggie with the same loading gate issue.. Im retired and got lotsa time to do things I enjoy doing,.
    BTW.. My ggGrandpa was with 23 Mississipi and killed at Gettysburg..Other side gggrand pa, 5 Alabama and died in camp.. God bless them all.
    Padraig, jim716 and Marlinjunkie like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I cant leave things alone of they arnt right, am obsessive about reliability and if I think something might break or slip and cause a stoppage, I am all over it. I am not, whats it called? When everything has to be neat and tidy? The opposite in fact but when it comes to firearms, its either right or wrong, no middle ground. I think it was hammered into me early on, when the gun is called upon it better work, work well and first time. Magazines especially, all numbered and if any failed to feed right, they were binned. Diddnt want them around, not even for practice.

So, if that was mine, I would want it right. If the existing gate cant be adjusted to fit right, order a new one. Maybe two, have spare.
    JR233, Marlinjunkie and jim716 like this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Maybe just replace it with a Ranger Point Precision loading gate. They are supposed to look great and function great.

Padraig

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
    Maybe just replace it with a Ranger Point Precision loading gate. They are supposed to look great and function great.

Padraig
    They do look great and fit and function is top notch.
    JR233 likes this.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that makes a difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links