Looked at 4 Remlins today...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Looked at 4 Remlins today...

Gunfighter
    Member #

Looked at 4 Remlins today...

And they looked pretty darn good. Since they were at Cabelas I couldn't try the action or look at anything but the exterior. Three .45-70 rifles and a .44 Magnum 1894. The fit and finish looked good and one had a nice laminate stock. I just may have to try one out, but not until the c.c. gets paid down.
    Arky73, 94win30wcf, DRSLYR and 6 others like this.
    Dave
    -Very Concerned NRA Life Member (Get it together NRA!)
    -S&W Revolver Nerd
    -Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation
    -Smith & Wesson Collectors Association

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    one way to find out.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    might get lucky
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
    And they looked pretty darn good. Since they were at Cabelas I couldn't try the action or look at anything but the exterior. Three .45-70 rifles and a .44 Magnum 1894. The fit and finish looked good and one had a nice laminate stock. I just may have to try one out, but not until the c.c. gets paid down.
    Might as well buy a lottery ticket too. You might get lucky, I place the better chance of winning on the ticket.
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    I don't know why guys still want to spin the wheel with Remlins. I have never been a fan of post WW2 Rem guns but what they have done to Marlin is the worst. If I wanted a Marlin I would be looking for a high condition JM. Rem will get the bugs out of Marlin production. Thing is even so it its not the same gun except in appearance. When they get straight you will have two lever companies of equal quality. Marlin & Henry. Neither one stacks up to JM Marlins. Face it, milled guns are gone and the new stuff will never equal them.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Have the clerk cycle it in front of you. Look for:

Jerky, hanging up cycling.
    Gritty noises.
    Metal chips on the floor.
    Sharp edges cutting the clerk, bandaged fingers from previous sales attempts - blood on floor.
    Make sure of the store return policy. (If they cooperate with returns perhaps maybe the factory will tire of all this nonsense and up their manufacturing game or loose retail sellers.)

AC
    Drm50, kah64, Ret_Eng and 2 others like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    Have the clerk cycle it in front of you.
    No clerk cycling allowed at Bass Pro or Cabelas, stricty prohibited so cross them off of your list.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    No cycle, no deal.

Even the shadiest used car salesman will allow you to touch, sit in, look under the car, hood, and a test drive.

AC

GFK
    Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I don't know why guys still want to spin the wheel with Remlins.
    For me, it is all that I know of. I have not had a JM yet. The one that I did cycle lever would not stay closed. Simple fix (I know now), but I passed on it. I guess it is like a 69 Camaro. They look nice. But, I have a hard time paying for something that cost as much as one new. If I had the money to spend, maybe. Until then, I will probably buy a new (probably better on gas).
    Padraig, gunscrewguy and Lever Jac like this.
    "One man's rights end where another man's rights begin." Dad

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    There are always exceptions but JM levers and even post 64 Win levers are very seldom down with function problems. I wouldn't stick my neck out for any gun that showed signs of somebody being into it. Springs, firing pins and such are just a fact of life in any gun. It boils down to the problems that we see daily weren't an issue in the older model guns. They were made in a era that people expected a product to preform as advertised. If they didn't they wouldn't be in business long. If there was a problem it was taken care of with no beating around the bush. Companies built reputations and didn't take them lightly. Those companies are gone and exist only in trademarks. Henry is an exception to this. They realize if they don't have good CS they won't be around long. They use advanced methods and materials and know they are going to have a certain percent of failures. The excellent CS covers for this.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    No cycle, no deal.

AC
    Without Cabela's and Bass Pro that eliminates 2 of the main outlets where you could handle one in person. Many smaller LGS no longer stock Marlins unless you order one.
    JM rifles are the way to go anyway. Cerberus trashed the Marlin name, Remington will have to earn back customer faith the hard way and it will take a long time of consistent quality.
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links