Looked at 4 Remlins today... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Looked at 4 Remlins today...

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Shark Bait - I've owned two JM 45/70's, still have a good ol' Marlin 39A (my absolute favorite rifle) and a 30-30 Glenfield from back in the JM days. All were good guns. None are perfect, but they are & were good, solid, well built, reasonably priced hunting rifles.

Took the plunge and purchased a 45/70 Marlin 1895 a few months ago, a "Remlin." I've posted before about it, but here's the short version. The finish of metal and wood doesn't quite match my Marlins, but I can live with it. May re-finish the wood someday - I've done that with a number of factory rifles over the years preferring a hand rubbed finish.

Mechanically? The rifle works perfectly and shoots great! I tried the factory sights, and with no adjustment they were working fine at short range - about the only time I'd use the factory sights. I popped a 2.5x Leupold atop it, in quick-detach mounts. Zeroed the rifle at 100 yards, and was very impressed with the accuracy. I was using fairly powerful handloads with the 350 gr Hornady RNSP bullet & 3031.

The rifle was priced at $538, which I thought was a bargain in today's world. Honestly, I feel that I got exactly what I wanted, exactly what I paid for. It's not perfect, but I have already had it out bear hunting - no shot opportunity yet - and I'd happily take it hunting for any North American big game at reasonable ranges.

I felt confident in giving the new Marlin a try, after reading several positive reports in the past few years, and taking a hard look at several of them here in the past two years. Glad to be back in the big-bore Marlin club.

Regards, Guy

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Glad to hear that and couldn't come at a better time. I am thinking of one myself.....Your post just puts the cream on the pudding....Thanks again
    Shark Bait, M700 and gunscrewguy like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mywrangler94 View Post
    Glad to hear that and couldn't come at a better time. I am thinking of one myself.....Your post just puts the cream on the pudding....Thanks again
    Have to admit - I kinda wish I'd waited a few months for the 444 Marlin... Sigh...

But I had 45/70 dies and brass on hand from my last go-around with that cartridge, years ago.

Regards, Guy
    gunscrewguy likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links