My new imported 1894CSBL
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: My new imported 1894CSBL

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Hi folks, I recently purchased a new CSBL in .357.. here are some pics of the shoddy fit and finish

Firstly, the mag tube is too long at the receiver end. Marlin decided the best way to fix this, rather than take a little off the tube in a lathe, was to file some material off the back of the magazine tube lug!
    20190801_094714_1565281773012.jpg20190801_093546_1565281738435.jpg

Next is a shot of some of the swarf left over on the practically unfinished front stock mount lug.
    20190801_095738_1565281900347.jpg

And finally, here is some of the swarf I removed from inside the action prior to shooting the gun.
    20190801_094043_1565282001085.jpg

I'm glad I came onto this forum before I shot the gun, otherwise I might have just shot it and scraped up the insides.

I live in the uk, and had to put an order in with a gun store, they had a batch coming in from the importer, Raytrade, who then dropped them off at the proof house to be proofed for the uk before going to the gun store in ordered from. The gun store done some polishing, lighter trigger spring and stainless firing pin, before finally, the gun was sent up to my local gun store for pickup. Price all in was £1450 / $1760 before I had the gun in my hands.

I'm a little disappointed, but after reading about QC issues, not surprised. Needless to say, I wont be sending back on warranty as I'd probably not see the gun again for a few months. Luckily I'm here on this forum, and I have a lathe in the shed. I chopped a bit off the magazine spring and cleaned everything up. I'm still having feed issues which will need addressed as time goes on. I've only tested some .38sp loads so far and .357 will be next, so I'm hoping oal will be a contributing factor to the feed issue.

What's happening is I rack the lever, and when I bring it up to seat the round in the chamber, the lever stops short. It looks to me as though the extractor isn't slipping over the rim of the brass when the bolt is closing. It doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be frustrating and to give me no confidence in timed competition, which is why I bought the gun.

Anyway, I just thought I'd post my findings here along with the other rants!

Happy shooting
    D
    Last edited by Thisisdonald; 08-09-2019 at 06:53 AM.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Dang! That's poor work.
    Texas Shooter likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

GFK
    Deadeye
    Member #
    Wow! $1,760 is a lot. I probably would have let that rifle set just where it was at. I did not want to come off of the $725 for the Henry that I got, which is the most I have paid for a firearm so far. It is good that you are able to do some refinement work. With the mass producing, I am not surprised by the lack of attention to details though. But, may you have happy shooting!
    "One man's rights end where another man's rights begin." Dad

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I am really sorry to learn of your problems. It's bad enough when that happens to one of us in the US but for you, with all you have to through to get a Marlin, it's a damn shame!! Remington/Marlin needs to replace your rifle!

T.S.
    NRA Endowment Member, Texas State Rifle Association Life Member, Firearms Accumulator, Native Texan
    Team 99 #29

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Remlin kit gun again. New price and you finish it.
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    That's shabby work..
    Team 45/70 # 1869, Team Browning # 148,Team .444 # 781
    Team 30/30 # 1392,
    Team Shotgun # 124, Team .22 Mag # 175
    Team Wheelguns # 109,
    Team Semi Auto # 73,Team Old Pharts # 378
    Team Rossi 92 .44 Mag 38 Spl/357 Mag. # 83 Team 60 # 477
    Team Henry .22 lr # 134

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    It's just as well I love a project! I'm going to have a wee tinker with the extractor tomorrow. The magazine tube will need to wait till I clear out the shed and get to the lathe. I'll knock the edge off the cam on the lever for the carrier.

I was reading about this being the cause if the marlin jam, and the lengths people go to remedy a bad one: gluing or welding in bits of jigsaw blade etc..
    I wonder why nobody has reprofiled the cam and pinned in a roller bearing instead? Different OD bearings should give different timings.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Did a little work on my extractor yesterday...
    20190817_140757_1566140385961.jpg
    it started with the cartridge being a very loose fit on the bolt face with only the very tip of the extractor making contact, and sometimes shaving the brass. You can see from the picture above, the extractor doesn't look right at all.

Extractor Before:
    20190817_182346_1566141767191.jpg
    I simply bent the tip of the extractor in a little and took the sharp tip off. I also lightened the spring some.
    After modification It doesn't score or shave brass and is much easier to push to the side. I dont get that annoying tightness at the final close of the bolt now either.
    After:
    20190817_182320_1566141795341.jpg

I also lightened the ejector slightly. The overall feel of the cycle is a lot smoother, but I'm still having feed problems with the double feed. It looks as though the carrier is letting another round through while it brings the 1st round up to battery.
    Last edited by Thisisdonald; 08-18-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Thisisdonald,

I'm sorry to hear of your issues with a Marlin from Remington..................Particularly across the pond where warranty work will be months ago, and maybe not performed correctly, anyway.......

This is just ANOTHER example of why anyone thinking of buying a Marlin from Remington should be concerned as to what they are really buying.

Remington has had almost TEN YEARS to learn to build these rifles, and THEY STILL CAN'T MASTER THE TASK...............

Donald, you seem to have some machinery and no doubt the talent to use it .............I hope you get these issues corrected on your own.............

Best of Luck fixing what the Rem Boys can't do..................

To others reading The OP post............Why would you even consider buying a Remington built Marlin, when you can easily find a REAL Marlin on the pre-owned market in the USA ?

Tom
    miket156 likes this.
    NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Banned
    Member #
    You paid for a new rifle,not a project rifle.You shouldn’t ever have to do repair work on a new gun straight out the box!
    I thought remlin quality was getting better.But,they still lack consistency.
    miket156 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links