Should I return my 336?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Should I return my 336?

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Should I return my 336?

I already posted about this but I need a owners opinion. My 2019 marlin 336w was purchased from Bass Pro and when unboxed it looked like the part of the lever was chipped or made that way. The lever still closes and works. I haven’t put any rounds through it yet because if I do I can’t return it to Bass Pro. Will this chip get worse over time or lead to further damage, or is it not a issue? Should it be returned/repaired. I provided a picture of it. (Also, the second is showing how close the lever gets to the trigger. Is that normal?)

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I do not think it is normal but if it bothers you and Bass Pro will take back go for it. I think your choices are to shoot it and live with it or take it back, exchange it. then shoot it. Either way hoping for a range report.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Welcome to Marlin Owners. No, not normal and unacceptable. I believe it's important when Marlin puts out a subpar rifle that we shove it back in their face. This let's them know we expect better quality.

Either get a replacement or send it back.

I'll be moving this thread to the Marlin Rant Forum since this thread is destined to end up there.

Jack
    Last edited by JACKTW; 08-07-2019 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I would return it, get the cash back and start hitting gun shows. Be there at open on the first day. A lot of Marlin 336s were made. I have picked up two this way. No problems at all.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I am not sure that's a flaw, not having examined a new 336. Even if it is, it is absolutely non-critical -- in other words, the rifle should work perfectly well. None of my older 336s have that rounded-off corner, but that doesn't mean they don't all have it today. I know a while back there were a whole bunch of "experts" here who had never noticed the strange-looking cut on the front right side of the bolt above the extractor, even though it's been there since 1948.
    trapper-xx likes this.
    Pisgah
    ------------------
    "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

Banned
    Member #
    If it’s just aesthetic,I would call Marlin they may send you a replacement.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Give the Remlin a 10 point checkout to see if anything else is bad. I think in the Marlin Rant section we have a check list of problems to check for . Its really a shame that we need to have such a list as this is what the factory should be doing. In your case since it is a new out of the box Marlin I would make sure it is good or as mentioned earlier just get your money back to prevent you from going through the pain and aggravation of dealing with Remington Cust support and sending stuff back and forth.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I don't know if this interests you, but some folks replace the lever anyway, with products such as the most excellent Ranger Point Precision lever. I have one and, its hard to explain, but it just feels better.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    That is a flaw in manufacturing and/or finishing. Will it cause functioning issues? Probably not. But then look at it this way. If you bought a new car and found a dent or bad scratch on it would you still accept it? It won't effect how the car functions so do you just blow it off and live with it? The gun is brand new out of the box and the lever looks like it got stuck in a grinding wheel. I would take it back and either exchange it or get a refund.
    trapper-xx and JACKTW like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    As has been mentioned. Return it and go to some gun shows. Look for a Marlin 336 made before 2009. That's when things started to go poorly for the manufacturing if Marlin rifles.
    You WILL find 336 models that will be priced anywhere from $350-$450. But they will be true Marlins, Not the poorly made ones like you have there.
    Andrew
    JACKTW likes this.
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links